Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
kenmcros

Default USB Cable (B to B)

I want to set up my printer on my wireless network. My router has a B-Type USB (female) connection and my printer has the same. I found the cable I need online; a B-Type (male) to B-Type (male) USB Cable. (see attached image)

What I want to know is will this work?
This type of cable doesn't seem too common. Is anyone else running a setup like this?

Thanks for the help,
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB-325.jpg (18.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM
justpeon

Generall a usb "b" connection is to recieve data.. You may want to check the router manual to see what ithe "b" connector is meant to be used for. I highly doubt the cable will work under normal circumstances. Before you spenc money on a cable you can get two cables from the dollar store and make your own.

Last edited by justpeon : 01-22-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM
replica9000

I would check the router's manual like justpeon said. Some routers will have USB Type-A ports for use with hard drives or flash drives, but still might not support printers. Since yours has a Type-B port on it, sounds like it's for ethernet over USB directly to the computer. I usually see that more on modems than routers.
[ XBMC: Fractal Node 605 / Phenom II X4 BE @ 3000mhz / DDR3-1333 4x2GB / GeForce GTS 450 / Samsung UN46B8000XFXZA ]
Google and Wikipedia are your friends!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
wizbang_fl

Check the printer manufacturer website. They should mention if a USB to Network communication link is possible. I didn't realize until too late that it isn't in all cases. My Canon printer won't work on a network, (like a router or other USB to ethernet adapter) I tried on and off for almost a week and finally ran across it on the mfr website.