Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Ask Jay

Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM
rmckay78

Default I could use some insight...

Hey folks!

I recently launched an online start up aimed STRICTLY at a B2B crowd. Long story short, it works somewhat akin to Expedia, Orbits, Odesk, or Elance, where a user can post their need, and the affiliated vendors in the system can bid to get the project. I don't want to be seen as a spammer so I won't go into further details ;-)

My question is though, how do you reach a B2B audience for an online business? Local Marketing doesn't work since there is no physical location, I can't tie in with Amazon, Ebay, or the other online stores since there is no "product" to sell-and-ship... What is a good way to get the word out to a Business audience (mainly Marketing, Sales, and Exec folks) about my business other than one on one?

Thanks in advance for your help!
=Ryan McKay
Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 AM
williamwward

Default B2B Marketing

Business to Business marketing is one of the easiest ways to start making money actually. Locally is often the way to start. You find local businesses that become your base clients and can offer references to those who are skeptical about dealing with 'internet based companies'.

Look at it the same way that the 'Six Degrees Theory' works. Once you have a few clients through friends and then you will get more clients when they are happy.

Once you get a handful of clients, create a video with the testimonies and have them talk about not only the services they received but you can jump in and talk about expansion.

Most people fail to realize that it pays to advertise. Set a budget to get on Adsense and other similar programs that target the market you are looking for. When business is slow or just getting started, advertise. I would start on-line with Adsense. I would also contact the local chamber of commerce and the news paper as some older business owners read them religiously. At the same time I would start a FB (FaceBook) business page. Create a 'buzz' with your friends and have them help promote the business.

Example: After 4 years my friend Carl Hardworker launched his own company building widgets from his garage. I figured what the hey, bought some and they are the best widgets out there for the money.

With spiders and bots and all the other crawlers out there on the market you are best to pay the toll to get started.

Disclosure: I create videos for a living and yes they are made for marketing.