Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Windows

Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 AM
char

Default Program CPU Priority via list?

I'm not really sure what phrases to use for this so bare with me here.

Going very basic, I have a computer I put together from spare parts as a household server, it stays on 24/7 and does all the back end stuff for everything else I have.
One of the main things that I use it for is video surveillance using a program called iSpy. It needs a minimum of the CPU to run efficiently enough for motion detection and such. On this computer it comes to around 35% of the CPU.
Instead of booting up a more powerful PC to encode some blu-rays I have I figured I'd just use the server since its not maxed out anyway. The problem is even if I set in the task manager to give iSpy Highest Priority and anything else normal or lower the tasks for encoding will take up what it wants, leaving less than 10% for iSpy which is not enough for it to do what it needs to do.
What I need, and want to do, is something more like a list of what gets first dibs on the CPU. Something more like where the first on the list gets all it needs then the second takes what it needs of whats left and so on. That way I can always put the encodes lower on the list and it will take up lets say, in this case, 65% of the CPU until something above it needs more.

I've tried searching on Google for anything, but the only thing I come up with is changing CPU Priority through the task manager which won't give iSpy enough for it to run.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
rfm33428

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, not sure if it's sound advice. A similar situation happened to me, although for different reasons. I noticed you talking about the CPU, but what about the memory?

For me and it may help you too, I needed to add more memory. I was told that because there wasn't enough memory, the pagefile was bigger and working the CPU more. Keeping it short and simple I've always made sure I had enough memory so I wouldn't have that issue again. Knock on wood, only once that happened. Maybe the explanation I got was wrong. Not having that memory issue again, I never looked into it. I do know that it helped and everything ran smoothly.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

A potential option is to run a virtual machine on the server, and sandbox the video surveillance in it. that will carve out the resources it needs and manage it fairly aggressively.

But, I'd agree on the RAM thing. Encoding is both memory and CPU (or GPU) intensive. If you plan on doing a lot of encoding, it might be worthwhile getting a video card that will accelerate the task. Been out of that area too long though - nothing to recommend explicity.