Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM
pjssilva

Default ColorHug

I have just come across to this:

http://www.hughski.com/

This guy is building an open source colorimeter for LCDs, it looks like an interesting project with a reasonable price for the hardware. I have never used a colorimeter, they are way too expensive in Brazil, but maybe I'll give this one a shot.

Keep on the good work!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
gsthomas

Default Tomato Firmware

I would love to see you guys install/test the Tomato firmware replacement for a Linksys WRT54 router. I would love to see what you guys think before messing around with it myself.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
wavemotiongun

Default S1080

Could you please review the Gigabyte S1080 slate? Going by the thinner is better standard, it is a bit of a beef cake. Like my friend once told me, meat is for the man the bone is for the dog! Besides the vintage vga port, it looks it like a well balanced slate. How many slates/tablet have the extra pcie internal slot (if you don't go with sim card option) and usb 3.0? Just think, you can add a tv card or Habey HB-VD920 hd acceleration card!

-Hmm Beefy!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 AM
meaganmargaret

Default Something to note

Show suggestion, as in a short mention, perhaps??

How to tell the driver behind you exactly what you think of him/her:
Drivemocion EX Series LED Car Sign, at http://www.thinkgeek.com
/gadgets/electronic/d138
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 AM
jcmarsh

While these may not fit Tekzilla, maybe they could be Rev3 one-offs...
1) What's in Patrick's bug-out bag and zombie kit
2) Necessities for shelter-in-place
3) Range day with Rev3 crew
4) Knob Creek Gun Range bi-annual Military Gun Show and Machine-Gun Shoot
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
mikec
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarsh View Post
While these may not fit Tekzilla, maybe they could be Rev3 one-offs...
1) What's in Patrick's bug-out bag and zombie kit
2) Necessities for shelter-in-place
3) Range day with Rev3 crew
4) Knob Creek Gun Range bi-annual Military Gun Show and Machine-Gun Shoot
Some folks who watch would soil their pants if they saw Knob Creek. They just don't understand.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
petenun

Default Subsonic Music / Video Server - Be your own cloud.

Patrick, Robert, and Veronica,
(in no particular order)

I wanted to write about a program that I think you should review. The program is Subsonic (http://www.subsonic.org). I am not associated with Subsonic in any way; I'm just a user who feels the need to spread the word to others who will find this useful.

For years, I have been searching for a program or service that would allow me to access my full 1.5tb media library anywhere and from any device, and I have found what I believe to be the Holy Grail. There has been much talk on the show about cloud-based music streaming services, but I have not heard much about streaming from one's own cloud (which is much safer and not subject to ownership audits or upload data caps). In my (not so) humble opinion, Subsonic provides the best in both server and multi-client music streaming. One just installs and configures the server component at home (32mb), on Windows, Mac, Debian/Ubuntu, or Red Hat platforms. Once you punch (configure your router with) a user-definable port through your firewall, you can stream your entire music and video library anywhere from its well-laid-out and customizable web front-end or via mobile app (Android, iPhone, Blackberry Playbook, Sonos, Roku, and even Chumby).

Here are the main features (off the top of my head):

* Subsonic is absolutely free (Paypal donations welcome)
* No other web services need be installed such as IIS or Apache
* It requires no uploading of content to 3rd party web sites
* Supports multiple players simultaniously from any number of devices. (My whole family uses it constantly at the same time)
* Excellent search feature to locate songs, albums and artists.
* In addition to music, you can stream your entire video library on all platforms
* There are numerous themes to allow customization of your web server's appearance
* Audio and video formats are limited only by whichever codecs are installed on your "server"
* Supports playlists which are stored on the server - not clients, so you have access from any source
* Streamed music can be cached locally on mobile devices for offline playback.*
* Multiple user accounts can be defined with different permissions (admin, upload, download, modify, etc), so you can share with any number of friends without giving them the ability to mess with your library.
* There is even a remote control mode, which allows a mobile device to queue audio playback directly from the "server" (which can be wired to your home theater or sound system) for playback in your home.
* Supports automatic server-based podcast updating
* And lots of other stuff: (http://www.subsonic.org/pages/features.jsp)

I've been using Subsonic for almost two years now, and though I almost never get evangelistic about a program, I truly believe that Subsonic qualifies as one of those unbelievably useful programs... and its free.

Seriosuly, check this out. Even if you don't review it via Tekzilla, I hope you find it as personally useful as I do.

[* Note: I have found it very useful to use DynDns for name resolution so I don't have to keep changing my client's configurations every time Comcast changes my home DHCP IP address]

BTW, Great show; I've been watching for years, and y'all are awesome. Please keep up the great work!

Pete (Renton, WA)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 PM
multi007

Default Website suggestion for the "...just too darn irresistable" segment

Here's a website suggestion for the "...just too darn irresistable." segment

http://www.oneitemwebsite.com/

Found this site from goggle search. 2 weeks ago they sold SkullCandy earbuds for $12.99 (w/free ship). Got them in 5 days ago and they rock. Love the idea - its like woot but different - they only sell 1 item at a time. Literally. Im not affiliated with the site but its pretty cool. Trying to help out the little guy...

Multi007
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 AM
selvarin

Default Decent bluetooth keyboards for PCs 'n laptops...

H'okay! A while back I bought a Rocksoul BK101 Bluetooth keyboard for my Samsung tablet--it worked well, it was decent. Then I got rid of the tablet, and and recently I purchased a HP Envy15 notebook with bluetooth capability. I found a bluetooth mouse that worked well enough, but the BK101 doesn't like PC--yes I know it's meant for Mac but c'mon! Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions on a bluetooth keyboard that is as compact as the BK101 (NO 10-key pad on the right), has the chicklet keys like a Mac keyboard, but WORKS with Windows PCs & laptops. I'm getting by with a Kensington Silmblade but I want to do away with wireless receivers entirely.

~~Chris~~
(Rockville MD)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 PM
nusna_moebius

Any chance that Tekzilla could go five episodes a week?

I need my full-show Tekzilla fix! Love the show, keep up the great work!
Main system: Phenom II x4 @ 2.8 GHz / Diamond Radeon 5850 1 GB / 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 / MSI 770-C45 mobo / 1 TB HDD / Win7 64 / Raidmax 630W PSU / Raidmax Smilodon Case / HP 2009m 20" 1600 x 900 Monitor