Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > iFanboy

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 AM
boom2k2

I've been steadily making my small collection of books bigger and bigger but I'm starting to run out of things to read. Here's the stuff I own and enjoyed. Are there any recommendations for another series? I was thinking Green Lantern but I've never read a single issue of it.

Preacher
Y, The Last Man
DMZ
Fables
Ultimates
Locke & Key
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Hush
Batman: Long Halloween
Batman: Killing the Joke
Batman: Year One
100 Bullets
Ex Machina
Runaways
Captain America (Ed Brubaker)
Extraordinary League of Gentlemen
Top Ten
Walking Dead
Invincible

So... Any suggestions? I prefer them to be in TPB or hardcover form, I'm trying to stay away from floppies since that would really get me back into spending money I don't have.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 AM
cpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorkilpatrick View Post
Awesome!

Here's an article that Josh wrote about starting to read Green Lantern. We did a video show on the same topic. We also did a show on The Flash.

Check out our show archive (both the main show and the Minis) and you might find a lot of the information that you're looking for.

Those are two of the best Superman stories in recent years and both excellent places to start.
Hey thanks a ton. Just checked out the episodes you suggested and count me as a new viewer. Really enjoyed it.

I ran through Superman:secret origin, and 2 All-star Superman trades and was very happy with it. It feels good to get back into some great stories of Superman. I also picked up Green Lantern:Secret Origin to get a refresher on the origin story. I hope its cool to read that before starting on Rebirth and Sinestro Corp War.

Again, thanks for the advice, and you sold me as a new viewer.

Last edited by cpro : 10-08-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 AM
johnferrigno

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom2k2 View Post
I've been steadily making my small collection of books bigger and bigger but I'm starting to run out of things to read. Here's the stuff I own and enjoyed. Are there any recommendations for another series? I was thinking Green Lantern but I've never read a single issue of it.

Preacher
Y, The Last Man
DMZ
Fables
Ultimates
Locke & Key
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Hush
Batman: Long Halloween
Batman: Killing the Joke
Batman: Year One
100 Bullets
Ex Machina
Runaways
Captain America (Ed Brubaker)
Extraordinary League of Gentlemen
Top Ten
Walking Dead
Invincible

So... Any suggestions? I prefer them to be in TPB or hardcover form, I'm trying to stay away from floppies since that would really get me back into spending money I don't have.
If you enjoyed Batman: The Long Halloween, there is a sequel called Dark Victory that is pretty good. Also, the same creative team did a story called Haunted Knight, which is what led to Long Halloween. You might want to check those out.

Also, it looks like you enjoy Vertigo titles. It would probably be a good idea to take a look at Sandman. Sandman Mystery Theater is also very good, a great take on the Golden Age Sandman by Matt Wagner, one of my favorite creators.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:15 AM
boom2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrigno View Post
If you enjoyed Batman: The Long Halloween, there is a sequel called Dark Victory that is pretty good. Also, the same creative team did a story called Haunted Knight, which is what led to Long Halloween. You might want to check those out.

Also, it looks like you enjoy Vertigo titles. It would probably be a good idea to take a look at Sandman. Sandman Mystery Theater is also very good, a great take on the Golden Age Sandman by Matt Wagner, one of my favorite creators.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually just picked up American Vampire and the two Parker books. I haven't gotten a chance to read them yet, but the artwork looks insanely good. I'm trying to pick up all the books for DMZ, Fables and Ex Machina before I start reading them. The closest I'm at right now is Fables vol 5. I have a looooong way to go. I did finally get a chance to finish buying all the Walking Dead books out now, so that's a plus. So many series I need to catch up on and yet I still want more.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM
dh_jin

It's a heavy one but the first comic i ever read was The Sandman in my late teens, then i read the rest of the offshoots like Lucifer and Death: the high cost of living. and also a great comic (well it's a manga really, but the author has done a Wolverine crossover) is BLAME!. i don't really want to spoil anything but it's awesome too. also! Evil that men do (spiderman) is quite good as well, stuff with x-23 and dark wolverine with daken is pretty cool.

i prefer reading one-shots because it's a succinct story-line and doesn't trail off right at the end like the weekly stuff.

i've just started reading Superman: Earth One and it's pretty awesome, but i'm a complete newb in the regard that i've never read any superman stories even though i'm familiar with the backstory to the extent that occasionally watching smallville provides. i've never seriously read any DC comics before because mostly of way to many story lines and characters i don't care for. Batman/Superman are the only two heroes i think are awesome. but at the same time i've never gotten into either because of what i feel is high barrier of entry. loads of stuff already in the process lots of similar looking characters with different backgrounds, just mindfucked me.

i love the fresh start of superman earth one and the graphic novel-ness of it, much high quality of artwork and story telling, did you guys know theres a gorilla with a cyborg brain in the mainstream continuity?!?!? wtf??

you can probably tell i don't really read comics but i'd like to. awesome comic, brilliant for anyone new to the series.

Last edited by dh_jin : 10-31-2010 at 09:19 AM.