Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Diggnation

Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
philbert

Default HD on PS3

In the current episode one of the email writers said he watched the HD version the show on his PS3. This is something I've been wishing I could do but the PS3 won't download it. Anyone know how this is done?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
shanehensley
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to shanehensley

Assuming you have your PS3 connected to your home network, you should be able to use the PS3 to search for a "Media Server". This will find the shared media on any of your home PCs, and allow you to stream them on your PS3. I haven't tested this out much, but it should work, since it is a feature built into the PS3 software.

Last edited by shanehensley : 12-16-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
philbert

I have tested that out for music and it works great, but I haven't tried with video yet, I'll give it a shot. However if you go back and listen to the email from Adam Leach (Leech?) he specifically says it's playing "off of my PS3 hard drive". So maybe he's transferring it from a USB thumb drive or something.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 PM
darknessgp
Elite Member

I have a PS3 and I used to do this. Just downloaded the Quicktime version, the .m4v files can just be renamed to .mp4 (format the PS3 uses). If it is a .mov you need Quicktime Pro and can do a pass through convert to .mp4. Doesn't take but a minute. Then just put it onto a flash drive and go play it on the PS3. Not hard at all.

"Perhaps the reason they haven't been able to make 'gaming TV' work is because they haven't done gaming TV. Maybe if they had 15 total minutes of programming that doesn't treat it's viewership like a a pack slavering mongrel inbreds that think Tommy Tallarico shoving things down his pants is intensive journlism."

-TechTv fan talking about G4
Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
zoomtechtv

The PS3 can now download H264, IPOD Format, MPEG4, WMA,DIVX,XVID. You just need the newest update to play all these files.

As for WMA support you have to enable it in the settings.

As for me I like the XVID files the most.

With revision3.com you can download all the file formats. But with the 1up show and dl.tv you might not be able to download all the file formats it has something to do with their website and not the PS3.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
philbert

WMA works fine for me, I didn't have to enable anything. Maybe that's just for DRM videos. The Quicktime HD or XviD still won't download for me though.

Last edited by philbert : 12-21-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
iccanui
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to iccanui Send a message via MSN to iccanui Send a message via Yahoo to iccanui

i dontload the HD and convert it then stream to my ps3 from a old laptop i use as a media server with nero.

Works good.

They hate everything i stand for, why do they hate me. Cause im a fucking dolphin wrapped in a panther. - Jeff

"We're just glad to be doing good works." /smileyfart
Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 PM
philbert

Yeah, HD is nice, but not so nice that I'll go thru all that effort. With shows like this I want to watch it ASAP, it seems silly to sit there waiting for transcoding when I could be watching it.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:59 PM
damnedeyez
Elite Member

Agreed...I'd prefer to watch the HD versions, but I'll take whichever I can download directly to my PS3.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
darknessgp
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert View Post
Yeah, HD is nice, but not so nice that I'll go thru all that effort. With shows like this I want to watch it ASAP, it seems silly to sit there waiting for transcoding when I could be watching it.
You do know that any .m4v file can just be renamed to a .mp4 and the ps3 will read it right? There is no transcoding there.

Also, I'm just curious, are you downloading the show directly from your PS3? That might be the issue. I'd try downloading to a PC, then transferring to your PS3 via a flash drive. The XVids should work without having to do anything to the file. The .m4v can just be renamed, like I said before. The .mov's are a bit trickier, but if you have Quicktime Pro you can do a pass through convert to .mp4. The pass through means it will NOT transcode it, but just wrap it in an .mp4 file.

"Perhaps the reason they haven't been able to make 'gaming TV' work is because they haven't done gaming TV. Maybe if they had 15 total minutes of programming that doesn't treat it's viewership like a a pack slavering mongrel inbreds that think Tommy Tallarico shoving things down his pants is intensive journlism."

-TechTv fan talking about G4