Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 AM
holdsteady-

Default Build a new computer using a Dell case?

I have a Dell Precision 340 workstation, but it feels increasingly long in the tooth (trying to play the HD version of Elephants Dream was both sad and hilarious). I'd like to minimize my computer waste stream by not getting rid of the whole computer, but merely replacing the motherboard, CPU, memory (buh-bye RDRAM) and power supply as the clam shell, mostly tool-less case really is pretty nice. I know Dell does some proprietary hardware, but surely a standard (ATX?) mobo and power supply would fit - wouldn't it?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 AM
masherscf
Big Daddy Mod

Be careful about airflow in those Dell cases. Sometimes they're designed with a particular power profile in mind. When you increase the power the old case doesn't get enough air-flow.

Tali: I have a shotgun, you know.

- Dialogue from Mass Effect 2

Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
md2389

Send a message via ICQ to md2389 Send a message via AIM to md2389 Send a message via MSN to md2389 Send a message via Yahoo to md2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by masherscf View Post
Be careful about airflow in those Dell cases. Sometimes they're designed with a particular power profile in mind. When you increase the power the old case doesn't get enough air-flow.
And most of the time they don't follow ATX spec, so the holes on your motherboard may not line up with those in the dell case.

Airflow in a dell.....WHAT airflow? :P You're lucky to get a fan in the back with a cheap plastic shroud over the CPU.
"Michael Dell suck my nuts......in a positive way." Alex Albrecht (Diggnation #151)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
popltree2
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to popltree2

Gotta agree with these guys. While we appreciate your effort of being "green", the old case just isn't going to cut it. Not only that, but I can almost guarantee that the majority of the case is made out of recyclable materials. You can pick up a new case, with power supply in some cases, for under $100.

Digg
Techneato
Virb
MySpace
Twitter
Pownce
last.fm

"If ever love existed, I do believe I have found it in you. "

"Don't f*ck with me bitch, I'm the mightiest sorcerer of the lands." - bloodninja (http://www.bash.org/?104383)
Old 01-26-2008, 03:26 AM
tritium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldSteady! View Post
I have a Dell Precision 340 workstation, but it feels increasingly long in the tooth (trying to play the HD version of Elephants Dream was both sad and hilarious). I'd like to minimize my computer waste stream by not getting rid of the whole computer, but merely replacing the motherboard, CPU, memory (buh-bye RDRAM) and power supply as the clam shell, mostly tool-less case really is pretty nice. I know Dell does some proprietary hardware, but surely a standard (ATX?) mobo and power supply would fit - wouldn't it?
DONT DO IT!</experence>
Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
eponymous_bosch

Gotta agree with the others. It'd probably be more of a headache than it's worth. That particular model does use a standard ATX mobo, but those small chassis are notorious for air flow problems. Imagine what it'll be like when you hook up that monster CPU fan for a dual core--it may not fit in that space under the power supply mount area. I've got a nice Zalman fan on my cpu in a mid-tower chassis and it only has about a quarter inch or slightly more space between the top edge and the psu mounting area. But I've got plenty of space otherwise and 2 fans set for intake and exhaust. I get great airflow in mine.

Check in your area for any place that takes recycled electronics and get a new case (mid or higher) for your new build.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
ArmpitOfDeath

It'd be a lot of hassle. The Precision series were always designed to take a beating in terms of constant use so are very reliable machines but with the amount of proprietary plastic shrouding, etc in there stripping all that out and sticking in a standard mobo is not a good thing to do.

I would say replace it with a refurb (since if you're still hanging onto a 6-year-old PC I guess you aren't up to spending the money for a new one ) Precision 390 or (better idea) 490/690 - Precisions are great machines in general.

It's also possible that you can ask Dell to dispose of it. They have disposal plans for current PC's so it might be worth asking.

Last edited by ArmpitOfDeath : 01-26-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
rottnkorpse

My suggestion is to get a new case...they don't cost that much and you won't have to deal with airflow problems...structure incompatibility...power issues...etc.

Much more worth it just to get a new case and ignore all things Dell. Ok maybe not all because I like their Monitors but other than that...yea ignore them.

the first computer I bought for myself was a massive Dell...it was quite cheap and had the best power I could get at the time...I had it for about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years and for some random reason the DELL power supply had a bitch fit (sorry if that is too vulgar for the forums) and fried my motherboard...both parts happened to be Dell made...everything else in my computer was not made by DELL and were fine but the two parts that were made by them were completely useless and fried.

Maybe I just had a rare experience with them but I think if the thing that actually powers the computer is faulty then that computer is screwed. And if you are wondering if it was a power surge or something no...the computer is under a surge protector and was also OFF and the power supply just went psycho when I turned it on and fried the mobo.

I know I have said this alot in this post but whatever... DELL = BAD...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
dr-jeckyl

Another thing that I didn't see anyone mention is that you run the chance of the power/reset/activity LED plug not being correct or compatible with the new mobo. It's best to just spend the extra money and get a new case.

Last edited by Dr.Jeckyl : 01-28-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 AM
md2389

Send a message via ICQ to md2389 Send a message via AIM to md2389 Send a message via MSN to md2389 Send a message via Yahoo to md2389

Good cases are so cheap these days that its really worth it to just get a new one. Rosewill has some nice cases for under $100 that will easily fit your need. (And no, it doesn't have any sharp edges!)
"Michael Dell suck my nuts......in a positive way." Alex Albrecht (Diggnation #151)