Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Pilot Shows

Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar
Default New cooking show

Everything I cook kicks ass. Rev3 should give me my own cooking show were I make simple, but awesome, dishes, and, at the end of each episode, Cody eats some nasty concoction. When I was at his old place down south, he ate marshmallow fluff, canned cheese, and chocolate chips. I never laughed so hard in all my life. He said it tasted like "crap."
Girl and Boy get married December 2010!!

~*~
My website: Aria Couture
Fan me on Facebook: Aria Couture on Facebook
Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 AM
kronos6948
Elite Member

Do you have any videos of you cooking? I'm sure you'd have to post one as a resume for Rev3.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Kronos6948 View Post
I'm down with that! I kinda wish I had my own food pilot to show these guys at Rev3...seriously...because I'm looking for a job, and if it paid enough to live in Cali...I'd move.

The best part about CAC is that it's for the regular person who's at home who has no idea how to cook. That was pretty evident by the techniques they used.

I'd actually like to show everyone how easy real techniques are, and how easy cooking really is.

But, I doubt since I have no video of me hosting a show that I would actually be considered for it.

(Murphy1d) - Dude, weird. Cuz I am out of a job right now. And I would hike out to SF and live in a DUMP to get started with Rev3. I cooked in restaurants for 12 years, managing them for 3.

I agree, a show on how to ACTUALLY make simple but CRAZY food would rock. Ctrl+Alt+Chicken was on track, but they made it fun cuz they knew nuthin. Yet, making dishes that were easy (big bucket of chili, etc) would be interesting. Plus, the Alton-esque backstory on food would make it really cool.

Last edited by Murphy1d : 01-30-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

I moved over that last post because it was more relevant here:

Episode Ideas:

Easy Date Night meals
Restaurant Favs (blooming onions, seared ahi tuna, burrito supreme)
Unique dishes (fat free hot dogs with sauteed spinach topping)
Simple desserts (how to make whip cream, etc)
Fd-Up foods (cake in the shape of Martin Sargent, home-made twizzlers)
How to tell a restaurant's quality (can they cook calamari, BBQ ribs, prime rib, sushi, Fish N Chips, etc correctly?)
When to turn around a walk out (OSHA grade, staffing, wait/quotes, sanitation)
Counting Calories and health
Wine (why you don't smell the cork, when to chill, etc)
Music and food (what is Trent Reznor's fav dish, what would be in a Foo stew)
Dorm room food (jazz up Ramen, mecha mac n cheese, dishwasher salmon)
snacks for jonesing (triscuit with cottage cheese and hot sauce)
Choosing fruits (apples and crispness, watermelons and yellowness)

I can keep going.........
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM
kronos6948
Elite Member

I think this is an awesome idea.

CAC paved the way for it, but I think this time if they got people involved who knew at least a little bit about cooking, a little bit about how to entertain, and a little knowledge on how to teach others, a new cooking show on Rev3 would be a hit.

With the advent of Rachael Rae (an annoying personality) and Sandra Lee (who's a horrible cook!), Rev3 can also start to pull in some of the old fans of Food Network - those who have been alienated by their station being more about the food, and not how to make the food.

I think a show like this would do best by being centered around simple recipes that anyone can do at home, and help people learn that they don't always have to adhere to a recipe. Something along the lines of "if you don't have this spice, look in your cupboard for a flavor you like, or see what you have" kind of thing. As long as you give someone the basics on certain foods, you give them a wide berth on creating their own recipes, and impressing their friends.

Food already has it's food geek, and that's Alton Brown of Good Eats, so if Rev3 wants to stick with the geeky side of life, and have a cooking show, they'd have to be sure not to tread on his toes, although I think there's room for another show (or shows) that is similar (like Beakman was to Bill Nye).

That would just mean that Dave Randolph would have to install a kitchen in the Rev3 studios.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

Quote:
That would just mean that Dave Randolph would have to install a kitchen in the Rev3 studios.

That's the beauty of the idea. Just shoot in someone's kitchen, as long as its big enough for the cameras and lights. That's what CAC did.

If I just had a camera, lights and food budget... hmm...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
kronos6948
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy1d View Post
That's the beauty of the idea. Just shoot in someone's kitchen, as long as its big enough for the cameras and lights. That's what CAC did.

If I just had a camera, lights and food budget... hmm...
Technically, if you just had the camera and lights...You could show what people could cook on the cheap.

I don't know where you live or what the cost of food is around your way, but with your experience in the business, I'm sure you could find cheaper cuts of meat, or cheaper meals (rice or pasta based) to whip up.

If I knew I was going to do a show, I could probably use my family's kitchen, it's a big open air kitchen with lots of lighting...I would just need basically the same things as you. A camera and more lighting.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

Quote:
Technically, if you just had the camera and lights...You could show what people could cook on the cheap.

I don't know where you live or what the cost of food is around your way, but with your experience in the business, I'm sure you could find cheaper cuts of meat, or cheaper meals (rice or pasta based) to whip up.

If I knew I was going to do a show, I could probably use my family's kitchen, it's a big open air kitchen with lots of lighting...I would just need basically the same things as you. A camera and more lighting.
What about an episode or two that cooks the recipes that are on the boxes of food in the cupboard? It would be like Indigital for food. We would cook the food, try them out, and even throw in our own spin.

Companies could then sponsor the show like Kraft or Nabisco, but we would rate their recipes at the end of the show. OK, that last part was really for Jim Louderback..... the shows gotta pay for iself.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
kronos6948
Elite Member

I like the idea, although it's not without it's problems.

The problem with a lot of recipes that are on the packages, they're like voodoo. Take rice for example. Their recipes call for more water than what the rice really needs to cook.

Sure, some things come out perfect, like Nestle's Toll House recipe, but after watching Alton Brown make Chocolate Chip cookies and say that he couldn't mention that recipe because it's copyright infringement puts a damper on that.

The other issue when it comes to sponsorship is that if you make something from Kraft when Kraft is a sponsor, and it comes out crappy, and you say so-you lose the sponsor.

So, if the show were to have sponsors, whoever works the show would be better off using products from that company, but not reviewing the product itself.

There are other ways of doing it Indigital style, which would be reviewing foods that aren't the sponsor. Plus, if there's a particular brand that you enjoy working with, it could bring that company in as a sponsor (a la Drobo and Tekzilla).
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

I think the shows on Rev3 survive on saying the truth, even if the sponsor doesn't like it. That's why we watch. Hell, they have both GoDaddy and Domain.com as sponsors. Thus, the sponsorship needs to be separate from the message.

Microsoft gets trashed all the time, but is still the major ad-service that Rev3 has. Jim could figure it out.