Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Pilot Shows

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar

Easy dessert? My key-lime pie has five ingredients, including a store-bought crust. Because graham crusts are a pain to make. And one of the remaining four is food coloring because key lime pie is actually pale yellow unless dyed. Meaning three mandatory ingredients for the filling. Can be made an in the oven in under five minutes.

Fried fish is also a cinch.

A lot of foods are deceptively simply, but people just don't realize it. Cookbooks usually have recipes with ingredients the casual person won't have (do you keep cream of tartar in your cabinet, or fresh parsley, or sage, rosemary...or thyme?). Hell, I cook a LOT, and half of what's in most cookbooks I don't keep around because they are so rarely used. It seems like a requirement to be in a cookbook is to have at least one recipe or call for at least one pan a regular person does not have and will not buy for one dish unless it's a special occasion.

When we get a camera, I'll shoot a couple videos, I think.

Unless otherwise specified, all recipes are my own and can be used for home-eating, but not to sell.
Girl and Boy get married December 2010!!

~*~
My website: Aria Couture
Fan me on Facebook: Aria Couture on Facebook
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 PM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos6948 View Post
The other issue when it comes to sponsorship is that if you make something from Kraft when Kraft is a sponsor, and it comes out crappy, and you say so-you lose the sponsor.
And another issue with sponsorship is it could severely limit ingredient choices. While a lot of the time, for simple dishes, brands don't matter, sometimes they do. Like for baking powder, I only use Clabor Girl. but if we're dealing with a viewership that's not picky and looking for something edible...

But also, there could be contractual obligations to NOT use ANY items by a specific competitor, whether or not a particular item is even produced by the sponsoring company.

I think sponsors would depend on which company and their overall terms.

Quote:
So, if the show were to have sponsors, whoever works the show would be better off using products from that company, but not reviewing the product itself.
Reviewing the overall product instead.

~*~
Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

If the show needed a tagline it should be:

"Its not a cooking show, we're just making dinner"
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 AM
kronos6948
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaStar View Post
Easy dessert? My key-lime pie has five ingredients, including a store-bought crust. Because graham crusts are a pain to make. And one of the remaining four is food coloring because key lime pie is actually pale yellow unless dyed. Meaning three mandatory ingredients for the filling. Can be made an in the oven in under five minutes.
A simple graham crust would just be crushing the crackers, adding butter and a teaspoon of sugar, mashing it in the pan and throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes, then letting it cool before putting your key lime on it. At least that's what I use for making cheesecake.

We could show people how much money you save by doing the work themselves, and by showing them the alternatives like using premade crust as well, then comparing the results!

Quote:
Fried fish is also a cinch.

A lot of foods are deceptively simply, but people just don't realize it. Cookbooks usually have recipes with ingredients the casual person won't have (do you keep cream of tartar in your cabinet, or fresh parsley, or sage, rosemary...or thyme?). Hell, I cook a LOT, and half of what's in most cookbooks I don't keep around because they are so rarely used. It seems like a requirement to be in a cookbook is to have at least one recipe or call for at least one pan a regular person does not have and will not buy for one dish unless it's a special occasion.
We could also show them that if they have a little bit of dirt that they can grow flowers in, they could have a little herb garden. Also, there are substitutes for cream of tartar (although I do keep it on hand for when I'm making meringues or anything that requires whipped egg whites), like a couple of drops of lemon juice.

Quote:
When we get a camera, I'll shoot a couple videos, I think.

Unless otherwise specified, all recipes are my own and can be used for home-eating, but not to sell.
Once you record your recipes, it's the same as making a record. They're your recipes. People can make them at home, but they can't make money off of them.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
kronos6948
Elite Member

Quote:
And another issue with sponsorship is it could severely limit ingredient choices. While a lot of the time, for simple dishes, brands don't matter, sometimes they do. Like for baking powder, I only use Clabor Girl. but if we're dealing with a viewership that's not picky and looking for something edible...

But also, there could be contractual obligations to NOT use ANY items by a specific competitor, whether or not a particular item is even produced by the sponsoring company.

I think sponsors would depend on which company and their overall terms.

Reviewing the overall product instead.
Exactly. You get the idea. I think if Rev 3 wants to go with sponsors, it'd probably be better to go with kitchen supply vendors than to go with food vendors.

One thing I'd want is integrity. Whoever the host is, I'd want them to have a choice on what utensils they use for a sponsor. It'd make no sense for someone to endorse something they don't use. For instance, if a certain knife company wants to sponsor your show, but their knives are uncomfortable, I'd be pretty darn upset as a consumer if Chef A recommends their utensils, I go out and buy them, and I can't even use them because they're shoddily made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy1d
If the show needed a tagline it should be:

"Its not a cooking show, we're just making dinner"
I like your thinking.

I know I'm pipe dreaming here, but it would be cool if this idea took off and all 3 of us could work on the show. Either have the show set up where we all make something out of one main ingredient (PBS has a show that does this, but it's not really geared towards the demographic we'd be looking at), or we could have each one of us make one course for the meal. I'm sure a lot of our demographic don't live alone (like I do), as we'd probably be showing college aged folks how to cook. In that demographic, there's a tendency for roommates to be there, and we could show them how to work together in a kitchen to make the meal even easier to make, and even games to play to decide who does what (chopping, actual cooking, cleanup, etc.)

I also believe that the show can be done without the work of a cameraman if it's not done live. One forward camera for addressing the audience, one overhead camera focused on the cutting board, one overhead camera for the stove. That'd be enough to get it started. The rest can be edited in the editing room (closeups on main person speaking can be done digitally with digital zoom capabilities in video editing software).

We of course would need minimal writing since banter back and forth would drive the show.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Quote:
A simple graham crust would just be crushing the crackers, adding butter and a teaspoon of sugar, mashing it in the pan and throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes, then letting it cool before putting your key lime on it. At least that's what I use for making cheesecake.

We could show people how much money you save by doing the work themselves, and by showing them the alternatives like using premade crust as well, then comparing the results!
Unless someone routinely keeps graham crackers and real butter on hand, it'd be cheaper and easier to spend $2 on a crust. The idea is simplicity, ease, and low cost.

Plus it's just a pain to get the graham perfectly even, and I'm uptight like that. It has to be perfect or I get upset.

Quote:
We could also show them that if they have a little bit of dirt that they can grow flowers in, they could have a little herb garden. Also, there are substitutes for cream of tartar (although I do keep it on hand for when I'm making meringues or anything that requires whipped egg whites), like a couple of drops of lemon juice.

Lemon works depending on the recipe.

Quote:
Once you record your recipes, it's the same as making a record. They're your recipes. People can make them at home, but they can't make money off of them.
Better to make a disclaimer though.

~*~

Last edited by AriaStar : 01-31-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Quote:
Exactly. You get the idea. I think if Rev 3 wants to go with sponsors, it'd probably be better to go with kitchen supply vendors than to go with food vendors.

One thing I'd want is integrity. Whoever the host is, I'd want them to have a choice on what utensils they use for a sponsor. It'd make no sense for someone to endorse something they don't use. For instance, if a certain knife company wants to sponsor your show, but their knives are uncomfortable, I'd be pretty darn upset as a consumer if Chef A recommends their utensils, I go out and buy them, and I can't even use them because they're shoddily made.
That's just it, I don't want to be limited in what I could use because of this sponsor or that. May be a bit Brady Bunch of me (remember the episode with the laundry detergent commercial?), but it's dishonest to endorse a product one would not actually use. If a company wanted a product endorsed I hadn't used before, I'd try it and, if I like it, would probably endorse. Doesn't mean it would be the first choice, but if it's good enough that I wouldn't mind using it, then fine.

Quote:
I know I'm pipe dreaming here, but it would be cool if this idea took off and all 3 of us could work on the show. Either have the show set up where we all make something out of one main ingredient (PBS has a show that does this, but it's not really geared towards the demographic we'd be looking at), or we could have each one of us make one course for the meal. I'm sure a lot of our demographic don't live alone (like I do), as we'd probably be showing college aged folks how to cook. In that demographic, there's a tendency for roommates to be there, and we could show them how to work together in a kitchen to make the meal even easier to make, and even games to play to decide who does what (chopping, actual cooking, cleanup, etc.)
Yeah, but there's distance and no such thing (that we publicly know of) that works like a teleportation machine.

Quote:
I also believe that the show can be done without the work of a cameraman if it's not done live. One forward camera for addressing the audience, one overhead camera focused on the cutting board, one overhead camera for the stove. That'd be enough to get it started. The rest can be edited in the editing room (closeups on main person speaking can be done digitally with digital zoom capabilities in video editing software).
Several cameras of the quality needed and mounting them would far too expensive, and I don't see how or why someone else would fund this for a first episode, unless they came up with it and cast it.

Quote:
We of course would need minimal writing since banter back and forth would drive the show.
Or another idea would be to bring in a new person each week who is a self-proclaimed kitchen-r-tard and instruct them on making something to show people that even someone with only basic skills, if that, could make these dishes, or have them make their own along side. The questions they ask may be things not thought about to answer on the show, so there's value in that.

~*~
Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

I think Cody and I are going to go ahead on this, as well as the Tech House. Just need to get the camera. Kronos, you willing to help with dish ideas? As easy as possible with as much flavor or as impressive of presentation (that also tastes good) as possible, and relatively few ingredients, all of which are either already in a typical kitchen or can be bought at the local store for cheap?

~*~
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 AM
kronos6948
Elite Member

Quote:

Yeah, but there's distance and no such thing (that we publicly know of) that works like a teleportation machine.
It's not that expensive to fly out there. I'd be willing to relocate as long as I could afford to live out there on Rev3's pay.

Quote:
Several cameras of the quality needed and mounting them would far too expensive, and I don't see how or why someone else would fund this for a first episode, unless they came up with it and cast it.
It could be done with a couple of cheap webcams mounted up on the hood of the stove and on the countertop.

Quote:
Or another idea would be to bring in a new person each week who is a self-proclaimed kitchen-r-tard and instruct them on making something to show people that even someone with only basic skills, if that, could make these dishes, or have them make their own along side. The questions they ask may be things not thought about to answer on the show, so there's value in that.
I like that idea, except PBS has a show that does that.

Quote:
I think Cody and I are going to go ahead on this, as well as the Tech House. Just need to get the camera. Kronos, you willing to help with dish ideas? As easy as possible with as much flavor or as impressive of presentation (that also tastes good) as possible, and relatively few ingredients, all of which are either already in a typical kitchen or can be bought at the local store for cheap?

Sure, I'd be willing to help.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 AM
geekdw

My girlfriend wants me to learn how to cook... She said I could quit my job if I cooked for us every day so we wouldn't be going out to eat all the time.

This would be good...geeks need to know how to cook too

Last edited by geekdw : 01-31-2008 at 05:46 AM.