Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Systm

Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
travislopes

Default Episode 41 - Systm Builds a Cannon [Discussion]

There's nothing wrong with potato guns... we love sparking up Right Guard as much as the next geek. But compressed air, now that makes for a seriously fun cannon.

Watch and download now!

(Sidenote: Post #300.)

Last edited by travislopes : 03-11-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:43 AM
lordbyron

For the record I would have to say their measurements were off. They stated that the longer one as 24" and the shorter one as 12". Looked more like 36" and 24" to me. Or were they talking about the air tank? Also David referred to the pipe as female and the fittings as male. That is reversed the pipe is male. It goes into the fitting, hence being the male. But I am glad again to see a complete show.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 AM
1_1_1

the cannon was weak and having the U in it makes it weaker just ask a good HS or College physics teacher

back in HS we made ones with 12" combustion chamber whatever leanth barrel and used hair spray with a BBQ igniter and shot 100 yards easy.

I used a 5'x2" barrel 4"-to-2" reducer 1'x4" combustion chamber and a clear out cap

then put two screw to get the spark into the combustion chamber and one screw to hold the ball out of the combustion chamber

and did a "test fit" assembly then a sharpy to get the correct amount of primer/cement in place

it did great some did a 6' barrel some did a 4' none messed up and all reached close to or beyond 100 yards

Last edited by 1_1_1 : 03-11-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 AM
pyro_boy_dj

Thumbs up Excelent Intro

I have personally made about three or four of these air cannons myself and can say with confidence that they are way better than their hair-spray powered counterparts. One thing that they could do even now to improve their range is to supercharge the valve. If you remove the solenoid and instead attach a regular air compressor valve(like the one at the end of the hose) you can dump the air much faster and gain considerable distance. In addition to that the honking noise will disappear. I have one with a 6 ft barrel and if somebody were to cough it would cover up the sound of the cannon firing.

This is an excellent intro to the art of pneumatic cannon construction and there is way more that the guys didn't get a chance to get into. Have fun but be safe. PVC doesn't show up on X-ray.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 AM
ebar

Is anyone else unable to get to the episode? When I try to get there, I just end up at the main page.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 AM
eca

Default aIR PRESSURE vs Volume

I would like a discussion on the comparison of SMAL High pressure over Large LOWER pressure..

Would it be better to have a SMALL High pressure
or
Large cylinder with MORE volume..
Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 AM
mikec
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBAR View Post
Is anyone else unable to get to the episode? When I try to get there, I just end up at the main page.

iTunes burped on this episode for most of the night. This site here was running slow earlier, that might have been part of the issue. I finally got it downloaded while watching several other podcasts. Hopefully all troubles are over and you can get this episode.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 AM
viron75

Default Safety

I thought that it was strange that during the whole episode they talked about safety and then the first thing they show us is Patrick shooting it at another person?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 AM
master1228

Default Time Lapsed Setup

Watching the time lapsed setup of Patrick cutting and fitting all the PVC pieces in what looked like a garage towards the end of the show was great, it really made the show!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
murphy1d
Elite Member

22 years ago I was using de-natured alcohol as the propellant. Is the Right Guard/Hairspray mix a better way?