Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM
marilee
Revision3 Creative Director

Default Episode 30 - 24 Inch LCD Monitor Recco, Veronica's IRC picks [Discussion]

Automate GPS Photo Data, Photoshop Disasters, Multitrack Recording Tools, Tech vs. Earthday. Your call on Joomla vs. Mambo. Avoid Blender (There's a free version of Softimage XSI), Eutectic Solder, Why Is My Hard Drive Smaller?

Watch or download the episode here.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
samureye
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to samureye

Great episode, just...too...short!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM
will_stutler

Send a message via MSN to will_stutler Send a message via Yahoo to will_stutler Send a message via Skype™ to will_stutler

alright Patrick

you ever think YOU don't know what your doing on Vista

if you can't figure out how to use it then don't flippin use it

every single person i know that has used Vista has had ZERO problems with it
just because you can't figure out how to use a simple OS doesn't mean its the OS's fault

remember that a poor craftsman blames his/hers tools
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
veronicazilla
Show Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Stutler View Post
alright Patrick

just because you can't figure out how to use a simple OS doesn't mean its the OS's fault

Angry Vista user is angry.

It's impressive that everyone you know that uses Vista has had zero problems with it... because every Vista user I know has had problems! Maybe we got a bad batch...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 PM
will_stutler

Send a message via MSN to will_stutler Send a message via Yahoo to will_stutler Send a message via Skype™ to will_stutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicazilla View Post
Angry Vista user is angry.

It's impressive that everyone you know that uses Vista has had zero problems with it... because every Vista user I know has had problems! Maybe we got a bad batch...
that or they don't know what they are doing
and yes very angry....sorry if i came off disrespectful

BTW your doing great on the show
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
bja3437

I use vista and it works grear when the drivers and 3rd party apps work with it. I am still waiting to get the update to SP1 so who knows! Next time i am going with apple just to switch things up. I think both OS' have pros and cons.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
eminemdrdre00

I cant believe Patrick even considered recommending a HDTV for that guy who wanted dual-monitors with lots of real estate. The resolution would be so low compared to even just one 19" monitor!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
tatari

I use Vista 64 and the only real issues I've had with it has been the nVidia 8800 drivers, since they crash when they try to do the thermal zone fan throttling. But turning off auto throttling in with RivaTuner solved that issue

On a side note:
What vista version (Home/Ultimate/Unlimited/Whatever else they are called) make a difference. Best experience with with can be found in Ultimate when running as the real Administrator (not your account in the administrator group) the real admin account has a bit higher rights (less nagin' and you don't need to use the "Run as Administrator") and the UAC is disabled as default.
The lower versions of vista does not come with the Administrator account and also some added annoyance by reduced functionality.

Get the Ultimate version and feed it a lot of ram and you and your Vista will get along just fine
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM
jdhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Stutler View Post
alright Patrick

I've used Vista on one box (that works with everything, even OSx86) that has decent specs and it would be difficult for me to hate Vista any more. Also, i do know what i'm doing, i've been using Windows and administrating Windows boxes since about 1996. It's just very slow and all kinds of buggy. This could be cuz i only run 32-bit, but as Veronica and Pat said in the show, i've had nothing but problems with it. Hell, any benchmark on the internet will even show you that in every single use case, games and PCMark/3DMark preforms way better in XP than it does in Vista. You might've gotten lucky and be blessed with the 10 pieces of hardware Vista actually likes, but in all my experience, Vista = shit. I actually wrote up a 3-page "report" for the company i work for of (basically): "Why we should not move any systems to Vista" and they agreed with the findings of my report. (Also, just in case you don't believe me when i said i'm knowledgable...I'm A+, Linux+, MCSE, and CCNA certified so...Yea...i know my shit so your "you don't know what you're doing" statement is invalid at least for me). As one final thing, i have a friend who was the lead dev on the Vista kernel team and now that he's back at college, even HE refuses to run Vista and he tells every company he does freelance work at to not run Vista. The Vista kernel is about 20% C++ for FSM's sake...Even my friend who worked there or anyone who knows anything about low-level development will tell you that C++ in the kernel is about the stupidest mistake anyone can make (my friend only put it in cuz the Vista leads told him to).

EDIT: and i did/do run Vista Ultimate.

Last edited by jdhore : 04-25-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
will_stutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhore View Post
I've used Vista on one box (that works with everything, even OSx86) that has decent specs and it would be difficult for me to hate Vista any more. Also, i do know what i'm doing, i've been using Windows and administrating Windows boxes since about 1996. It's just very slow and all kinds of buggy. This could be cuz i only run 32-bit, but as Veronica and Pat said in the show, i've had nothing but problems with it. Hell, any benchmark on the internet will even show you that in every single use case, games and PCMark/3DMark preforms way better in XP than it does in Vista. You might've gotten lucky and be blessed with the 10 pieces of hardware Vista actually likes, but in all my experience, Vista = shit. I actually wrote up a 3-page "report" for the company i work for of (basically): "Why we should not move any systems to Vista" and they agreed with the findings of my report. (Also, just in case you don't believe me when i said i'm knowledgable...I'm A+, Linux+, MCSE, and CCNA certified so...Yea...i know my shit so your "you don't know what you're doing" statement is invalid at least for me).
or your being over confident