Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > General > Politics

Old 06-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Bohemian_Beauty

Default '08 General Election

So, it looks like the Democrats finally have a nominee! Congrats to them.

Political threads seem to be taboo around here, but I don't think they should be, as long as they remain civil. I'd like to hear from my fellow Rev3'ers.

Who would you guys like to see as a VP pick for both main party candidates?

Who would you like to see really come out from the shadows as a third party candidate?

What issues do you think should be the most talked about in the debates? What issues are most important to you?

I think it would be smart for McCain to pick a female as a VP, but I have no idea who. I don't care for Condi AT ALL. I would prefer to see Edwards or Bloomberg as Obama's VP.

I would really like to see Paul and Kucinich lead a third party ticket. Mind-blowing, imo. Both extremely intelligent and clever (at least for a presidential candidate).

Our falling economy, our failed healthcare system, and war. The two most important to me is this horrible healthcare America has. There is no reason for people to be without it. I also believe we shouldn't be invading countries unless it's people ask for our help. I would like to hear all candidates in depth strategies for improving the lives of the Iraqi people, and bringing our troops home.

Don't be shy, people. Politics are important, and should be discussed.

Last edited by Bohemian_Beauty : 06-05-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:34 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Nothing wrong with politcial threads. They are not taboo ... UNTIL they start becoming personal attacks between tree hugging liberal hippies and gun toting evangelical right wing nutjobs.

Posts that are personal attacks between forum members will be deleted.

Call it censorship, call it the jackboot of the oppression if you like ... but we will not let this become a flamefest.

BTW - Title fixed, it is '08, not 08'

Last edited by tokenuser : 06-05-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Note: I can't vote. Despite being a US Resident, I am not a US citizen.

VP for Obama? I would still like to see Clinton as VP. As much as I like Edwards, he is too similar to Obama to add anything to the ticket. Bloomberg is an interesting choice, with an obvious financial strength, but isn't ready for the role yet.

VP for McCain? No idea - he was the strongest in a weak field. Lieberman wouldn't be out of the question, and might attract more Democrat votes. Huckabee? Maybe ... for McCain it has to be a strong choice, because with his medical history and age, the VP may well be running the country soon.

Third party? Ron Paul? God I hope not. All he will do is draw legitimate votes away from the candidates who actually have a chance of winning. He wouldn't win an election for himself, but could destroy either Obama or McCain's vote counts.

Its pretty clear I lean liberal, and am in favour of social policy and higher taxes to pay for it, yet I am fiscally conservative. Obama is a great orator, but I couldn't tell you what he stands for except "change". Even UHC is a fuzzy area. He will do well with domestic policy, which should strengthen the local economy, and boost wall street, but I feel he is weak on international policy (most Dems are). He will need a strong running mate who can complement an challenge him rather than being a yes (wo)man.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:59 PM
comhcinc
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to comhcinc Send a message via Skype™ to comhcinc

edwards brings something very big to the table as vp. he is white.

clinton is too devesive. that are alot of people that will not vote for a clinton but who might vote for another democrat. really i am close to being one of them. if the debates between mccain and obama are very close who their vp choice is will become important to me.

running mate for mccain? hmmm well he has talked alot with romney laterly, and old mitt might not be a bad choice.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Bohemian_Beauty

I like Edwards UHC plan, I like Bloombergs talk about revamping the electoral process. I like both. While he would likely win by a fair amount if he took Clinton has his VP, she's pretty much not the CHANGE he's all about, so meh.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
autodas

Barr/Root would get the most votes. After hearing some Barr interviews and having him try and repeal the things he has done makes me vote for him.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Bohemian_Beauty

Anybody think Obama NEEDS Hillary to win the general election?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
comhcinc
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to comhcinc Send a message via Skype™ to comhcinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian_Beauty View Post
Anybody think Obama NEEDS Hillary to win the general election?
no. in fact i think that would be a good way to lose the election.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
gimpbully

I do have to say, this time around I'd like to see a lack of strong 3rd party candidate. I've never felt this way before but I think it's time to focus hard on getting the neocons out. It never seems 3rd party candidates remove votes from the republicans, it always seems to work against the democrats.

Yes, I don't agree with *everything* obama stands for, but I think he's as close to a mainstream candidate that shares my views as any since the last kennedy presidential bid.
"The importance of Liking Yourself is a notion that fell heavily out of favor in the coptic anti-ego frenzy of the Acid Era -- but nobody guessed, back then, that the experiment might churn up this kind of hangover: a whole subculture of frightened illiterates with no faith in anything."
Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Bohemian_Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpbully View Post
I do have to say, this time around I'd like to see a lack of strong 3rd party candidate. I've never felt this way before but I think it's time to focus hard on getting the neocons out. It never seems 3rd party candidates remove votes from the republicans, it always seems to work against the democrats.

Yes, I don't agree with *everything* obama stands for, but I think he's as close to a mainstream candidate that shares my views as any since the last kennedy presidential bid.
I'd have to agree with you. I really like Obama. I'm not even a Democrat. He gives me hope, something I haven't had for a long time.

I don't want him to pick Hillary as his running mate. Ugh.. Scary thought.