Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > iFanboy

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
evin

Send a message via MSN to evin
Default Ultimate Marvel reading order?

So I'm just getting into the Ultimate Marvel universe. A few years ago I read a whack of Ultimate X-Men, but I can't really remember anything that happened (other than I think Storm and Beast dated or something? Whatever). I've started my reading with The Ultimates, thinking that "Hey, these are the big guns, and this is where they're introduced. This will make a good starting point" and within the first few issues they've already mentioned Spider-man, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four, so I'm obviously not starting in the right place.

Now, after a cursory Googling (paired with my prior knowledge that it was the first book from the imprint to come out), Ultimate Spider-man seems to be the place to start. And again from poking around, I know that Ultimate Hulk's first appearance was in Ultimate Team-Up #2, which takes place some time after Ultimate Spider-man #21, so I should really have gotten to at least there before starting Ultimates. My question here is, is there any resource out there that can guide me in the best way to read these books? Is it really even that important? Like, other than the occasional reference to the other books, do they really crossover to a large enough degree as to make the entire continuity an issue?

I'm sure I could always try and find a chronological list of when each individual issue came out and read them in that order, but that seems a little excessive to me. I mean, largely the stories in the books would be self-contained (I figure) and you'd only really need a general knowledge of what was going on in the world to understand the side-references, so reading them all piecemeal like that would probably hurt more than it would help.

Anyways, I'm sure fellow continuity dorks out there feel weird when it feels like something is clearly happening elsewhere that you don't know about, and I'd like to cut down on that feeling as much as possible now that I'm getting into the imprint. Any help you folks can provide would be much appreciated.

(Oh, and here's the requisite "I'm sorry if this has been posted before / I'm mostly a lurker / Blah blah blah don't murder the noob" line. Thanks.)

Last edited by evin : 06-10-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
poltah
Elite Member

What you do is that you get your hands on The Ultimates vol 1. If you REALLY love that, you buy Ultimates vol.2.

Last edited by poltah : 06-10-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
teddyteddy

Let me start by saying that I HAVE NOT read all of the Ultimate books. I'm not an expert. I'm new to comics, but I started with the Ultimate Universe for (probably) the same reasons you are. I have been reading a ton of these books and I'm pretty deep into it, so I think I can help.

Getting started is easy, read the first two volumes of Spidey (#1 - #13). Those are awesome.

Now comes Team-Up. It can be tough to find the original trades, but you can get the Ultimate Collection pretty easily. Just read issues #1 - #5 for now.

Now you're ready to read X-Men Vol. 1 (#1 - #6).

Now you can go back to Team-Up for #6 - #10.

Then Spidey Volume 3 (#14 - #21)

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #11 - #13

Ultimate X-Men Volume 2 (#7 - #12)

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #14

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 4 (#22 - #27)

Now you can finish Team-Up by reading #15 - #16.

Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1 (this is in the Team-Up collection)

Ultimate X-Men Volume 3 (#13 - #20)

And NOW you can read Ultimates Volume 1. But make sure you read Spidey Volume 5 before Ultimates Volume 2. I didn't do that, but it makes more sense that way.

That's not perfect (because some things happen at about the same time), but it's pretty good. Also, some things technically happen BEFORE Spidey #1, but I wouldn't read them yet (Ultimate Iron Man, DareDevil, some Fantastic Four).

If you read all of that and want more, just ask.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
horatio616
Elite Member

I'd just read Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates 1 & 2 (NOT 3). The rest isn't really remarkable.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
paper
Pragernated

Ultimate Vision FTW!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
racemccloud
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio616 View Post
I'd just read Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates 1 & 2 (NOT 3). The rest isn't really remarkable.
Ditto. Unless you die-hard LOVE the Ultimate Universe, this is the cream of the crop. And they're largely self-contained, so you shouldn't really have to go outside of this at all. Start here. You can always branch out into things like "Ultimate Six" and "Ultimate War". The "Ultimate Gah-lak-tus" Trilogy (Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret, Ultimate Extinction) is largely underwhelming, which was a big old shame, and Ultimate FF and Ultimate X-Men have some good stories, but they're spotty at best. (I never dug Ultimate X-Men, myself. Just felt like plain old X-Men to me.)

But Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2? Ultimate Spider-Man? Some of the best comics you'll ever read.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
evin

Send a message via MSN to evin

Keen beans. Thanks, everyone.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
horatio616
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMcCloud View Post
Ditto. Unless you die-hard LOVE the Ultimate Universe, this is the cream of the crop. And they're largely self-contained, so you shouldn't really have to go outside of this at all. Start here. You can always branch out into things like "Ultimate Six" and "Ultimate War". The "Ultimate Gah-lak-tus" Trilogy (Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret, Ultimate Extinction) is largely underwhelming, which was a big old shame, and Ultimate FF and Ultimate X-Men have some good stories, but they're spotty at best. (I never dug Ultimate X-Men, myself. Just felt like plain old X-Men to me.)

But Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2? Ultimate Spider-Man? Some of the best comics you'll ever read.
Ah, I forgot about Ultimate Six, which I thought was pretty good. It's basically a Spider-Man book with pretty good Trevor Erksine art. Worth picking up.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 PM
paper
Pragernated

I was kidding. Avoid Ultimate Vision.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
labor_days
Elite Member

It amuses me someone is going to read Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Team-Up and Ultimate X-men before reading The Ultimates vol.1.