Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 06-14-2008, 09:35 AM
shegs

Send a message via AIM to shegs Send a message via MSN to shegs Send a message via Skype™ to shegs
Default Tired of Newegg; looking for alternative...

ok, I am looking to build a new computer when I come back to the states in 2 weeks.

I usually order from newegg but they are #$%^ing on me saying my billing address is messed, they say it will take upwards of 2weeks to fix the problem.

I am curious if everyone uses newegg or is there some alternative that actually cares about their customers.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
burkhartmj

I imagine most of us use only use Newegg, I know I've never had a bad experience

Though, I have been known to go to www.zipzoomfly.com for price reasons. They aren't as good with shipping as Newegg, but they are pretty decent and on rare occasions beat Newegg prices.

Digg -- Facebook -- Flickr -- Twitter -- Youtube -- Zune Social
Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
mikec
Elite Member

What is the board's view on Tiger Direct?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
What is the board's view on Tiger Direct?
Boooooooooo. Two thumbs down. They have good prices - but only with rebates that never seem to get fulfilled.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:47 PM
jdhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
Boooooooooo. Two thumbs down. They have good prices - but only with rebates that never seem to get fulfilled.
And their customer service sucks, their prices are more than Newegg and it takes them a long time to ship. ZipZoomFly...I've never ordered from then and i never will after Alex Albrecht's experience...Back in the day (Maybe G4, maybe early Diggnation), he ordered a supposedly New In Box (not refurb'd or open box or anything like that) CPU and they sent it to him, looked NIB, he opened it...It had dried thermal paste on a bit of the CPU...I think that is damn screwed up, so i refuse to order from them.

Sadly, i hate to say it, but Newegg is prolly your best option, barring that, Micro Center doesn't have as good prices, as good of a website or as good of a selection, but they're pretty damn decent.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 PM
burkhartmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhore View Post
And their customer service sucks, their prices are more than Newegg and it takes them a long time to ship. ZipZoomFly...I've never ordered from then and i never will after Alex Albrecht's experience...Back in the day (Maybe G4, maybe early Diggnation), he ordered a supposedly New In Box (not refurb'd or open box or anything like that) CPU and they sent it to him, looked NIB, he opened it...It had dried thermal paste on a bit of the CPU...I think that is damn screwed up, so i refuse to order from them.

Sadly, i hate to say it, but Newegg is prolly your best option, barring that, Micro Center doesn't have as good prices, as good of a website or as good of a selection, but they're pretty damn decent.
I dunno, I bought a Logitech G7 from them fairly recently, and it was pretty great service. Perhaps they had to improve their practices recently because of Newegg competition?

As far as tiger direct, they are a horrible company that preys on people who don't know any better. Every now and then you can find a good deal that beats out newegg, but expect to get screwed when something like that comes along.

Digg -- Facebook -- Flickr -- Twitter -- Youtube -- Zune Social
Old 06-15-2008, 01:18 AM
iccanui
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to iccanui Send a message via MSN to iccanui Send a message via Yahoo to iccanui

I would just suck it up and realize that mistakes happen. Newegg has been spot on for me for years and year. A mistake sucks, but i dunno, over all i think newegg is worth sticking with.

But i understand where your coming from.

They hate everything i stand for, why do they hate me. Cause im a fucking dolphin wrapped in a panther. - Jeff

"We're just glad to be doing good works." /smileyfart
Old 06-15-2008, 03:36 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegs View Post
I usually order from newegg but they are #$%^ing on me saying my billing address is messed, they say it will take upwards of 2weeks to fix the problem.
Thinking about this ... since Newegg are an online company only, it is good to know they wont let you order unless alll your details are correct. A little fraud protection can be inconvenient, but it is nice to know that they have measures in place to detect and deal with it - even if it slows your order down by two weeks (doubtful).

Other places to order parts -
Outpost.com (Fry's Electronics online)
Amazon (its worth a shot)
Overstock.com
Woot.com - it might be only a deal a day, but if its what yo are looking for its a damn good deal.
Even Staples & OfficeMax/Depot have deals on hard drives and CD/DVD ROM/RAM drives sometimes.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 AM
happynihilist

I would have to say Newegg is still the gold standard. Zipzoomfly was pretty good back in the day when they were still Googlegear (seriously, did they honestly think Google would NOT have a problem with that name?) I ordered quite a few items from them and they were great on ship time and cost compared to Newegg.

Since then, Newegg has improved and Zipzoomfly became one of the also-rans - smaller selection and more expensive shipping that is slower out the door.

I have yet to have a bad experience with the Egg (knock on wood) so I stick with them unless I run across a particular deal or a coupon at Amazon, Buy.com, etc.

Last edited by HappyNihilist : 06-15-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:48 AM
shegs

Send a message via AIM to shegs Send a message via MSN to shegs Send a message via Skype™ to shegs

my problem is more with the preferred card... I am a student and cannot afford a whole PC in one shot, so I use the card. just so happens that randomly and every once in a while I get stuck getting declined because of a bad billing address when I have used it before.
the kicker is that since it is random when it happens I then have to wait upwards of 2 weeks before they can resolve it... not cool if I need something sooner.

anyways I looked around and no one has their selection and other than the random problems with declining my newegg credit they are damn good.

I was just pissed because they weren't telling me why my address was causing the problem... oh well