Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Apple / OS X

Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 AM
jonlon15

Send a message via ICQ to jonlon15 Send a message via AIM to jonlon15 Send a message via MSN to jonlon15 Send a message via Yahoo to jonlon15 Send a message via Skype™ to jonlon15

I have a PowerBook G4, 12". I just don't see the need to get an Intel-based Mac yet.

This PowerBook does everything I need it to do. Sure, it's not the best at running Halo, but thats why I have an Xbox.

Anything I need for Windows is taken care of using Virtual PC. It's slow, but hey, its cheaper than buying an Intel Mac just to run a few programs.

If your thinking about switching, definitely check out the Intel Macs, CrossOver and Parallels will definitely ease the transition for you. But if your on a PowerPC based Mac and it does everything you need it to do at a reasonable speed, then get the most you can out of it! PowerPC Macs aren't obsolete, they are still fantastic machines.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 AM
concept

Default Macbook on a 23" LCD???

Hi,

I am looking at picking up a macbook, I will most likely wait until the release of os x 10.5. I use photoshop quite a bit and am getting into avid/fcp. With 1gb of ram and a core 2 duo(will probably be out by the time os x 10.5 ships) will that handle intense graphics on a 23" or 24" lcd?

I know apple says those displays are supported, I just want to know if the performance is ok with just a macbook. let me know from your experience.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 AM
wastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Hi,

I am looking at picking up a macbook, I will most likely wait until the release of os x 10.5. I use photoshop quite a bit and am getting into avid/fcp. With 1gb of ram and a core 2 duo(will probably be out by the time os x 10.5 ships) will that handle intense graphics on a 23" or 24" lcd?

I know apple says those displays are supported, I just want to know if the performance is ok with just a macbook. let me know from your experience.

Thanks!
If your main use for the machine is going to be photo and video editing you'll want a real graphics card in there. You'll be much happier and better off with the MacBook Pro. Also, you'll probably want 2gb of ram
Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 AM
casework

Yeah, the MacBook Pro is what I have, and I use Photoshop a lot and in the future I'm going to be doing more video and audio editing, and so far it's absolutely perfect for everything I need. And as far as the price goes, it's at least $1000 cheaper than any PC laptop alternative for the same specs.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by casework View Post
Yeah, the MacBook Pro is what I have, and I use Photoshop a lot and in the future I'm going to be doing more video and audio editing, and so far it's absolutely perfect for everything I need. And as far as the price goes, it's at least $1000 cheaper than any PC laptop alternative for the same specs.
But at over $2500 configured for a mbp with 2gb of ram, I would rather just get a mac pro.... I, however like the compact size and portability of a laptop. My current laptop (toshiba 1.7ghz centrino w/ 1gb ram) does a decent job and im running extended desktop (19"), but it does have 128mb dedicated ati video card.

I guess im just saying i dont want to go overkill if i dont have to.

thanks for your help
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 PM
casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
But at over $2500 configured for a mbp with 2gb of ram, I would rather just get a mac pro.... I, however like the compact size and portability of a laptop. My current laptop (toshiba 1.7ghz centrino w/ 1gb ram) does a decent job and im running extended desktop (19"), but it does have 128mb dedicated ati video card.

I guess im just saying i dont want to go overkill if i dont have to.

thanks for your help
But if you're at college, a desktop isn't ideal. That and the Mac Pros weren't even near being released when I got my computer.

Ultimately the portability is what it's all about. If you aren't a student or someone who needs to do work on the go or away from home, then a Mac Pro would be more worth it than a MacBook Pro, generally speaking.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
wastern

When I got my MBP it cost me $2700....

2 months later the dropped the price and raised the processor speed

oh well.

that was when the iMac and MBP where the only things out, I wanted to wait until the full intel line was out, but just couldn't

If I had to do it now with the current lineup of systems, I'd probably get an iMac for speed and a MacBook for portability. 2 systems for the price of one.

or a MacPro, that thing is just amazing
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
bman
Elite Member

I can't wait to get my intel mac, with 3GB of ram, and all the decked out crap with it. !! Going to cost me around $4000 canadian but worth it i'd say.

Need Graphic Design work done, email me at b.wadey@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 AM
pamich

Send a message via ICQ to pamich Send a message via AIM to pamich Send a message via MSN to pamich Send a message via Yahoo to pamich

Fun fact for intel based mac users.

Triple booting
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 AM
casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamich View Post
Fun fact for intel based mac users.

Triple booting
There's actually a video on YouTube of a guy switching between OS X, Linux, and XP using the SmackBook function. It's amazing. I'd post a link but last time I was looking for it I couldn't find it. I'd just search "SmackBook" on YouTube.