Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Systm

Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
exil3

Don't know what they were talking about, I'm from "outside of the USA", namely Norway, nad I have a 30mbit connection with NO cap. There is no problem to find an ISP in Norway that does not cap you downloads. Subscriptions are also very cheap.

If I am not mistaken Norway is in top 5 when it comes to internet connection speed in the world (average pr person)... US being somewhere below top 10.

,take care
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
fishtoprecords

One point that the otherwise fine episode missed:

A power problem during a flash of a router is an easy way to make a brick. So while doing this, plug both your PC and the router into a UPS.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
computoman

Well I am on my buffalo whr-g125 with tomato. I could not do the gui upgrade. I had to use tftp under linux with modified arguments via the command line. Still have to do some tweaking. My router acted funky between all the changes of routers, but all is well so far. My brother upgraded his linksys a while back with dd-wrt and brags about it. I started to use ww-drt, but decided to use tomato. Voglio Pomodoro!

Last edited by computoman : 10-01-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
jamf

The sound quality of the show was not so good. It sounded like voice activation and noise reduction were active?

On the topic of supposedly not having 7zip... I just checked, and it is in the Windows sticky thread "Useful Free Windows Programs Under 2MB", so those who don't... you really should try to use some of these very useful and small programmes.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM
preske

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiL3 View Post
Don't know what they were talking about, I'm from "outside of the USA", namely Norway, nad I have a 30mbit connection with NO cap. There is no problem to find an ISP in Norway that does not cap you downloads. Subscriptions are also very cheap.

If I am not mistaken Norway is in top 5 when it comes to internet connection speed in the world (average pr person)... US being somewhere below top 10.

,take care
Stuff like that makes me want to move.

I live in Belgium, and for the last 8-9 years or so, Our 10 mbit connection had a cap of 10 gb. All this for the neat lil' price of... 60 US dollars/month (approx.)
It only got raised recently to 15mbit/20gb, but still, it's downright outrageous. And changing isp's is not a possibility, since there's virtually no competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF View Post
The sound quality of the show was not so good. It sounded like voice activation and noise reduction were active?

On the topic of supposedly not having 7zip... I just checked, and it is in the Windows sticky thread "Useful Free Windows Programs Under 2MB", so those who don't... you really should try to use some of these very useful and small programmes.
I noticed that too.

Anyways. If I understand correctly, you can monitor the bandwidth consumption for each device connected? Say, a laptop, or a ps3 even?

If so, then i'm very interessted.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
arcole

here is a way to make the router download a host file to block ads and a whole long list of bad sites.

open the router interface then go to "Administration" then "Scripts" click "WAN Up"

put this code in save and reboot the router.
Code:
logger WAN UP Script Executing
sleep 5
test -s /tmp/dlhosts
if [ $? == 1 ] ; then
    echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nwget -O - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt | grep 127.0.0.1 | sed -e '2,\$s/127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/g' -e 's/[[:space:]]*#.*$//' > /etc/hosts\nlogger DOWNLOADED http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt\nkillall -1 dnsmasq" > /tmp/dlhosts
    chmod 777 /tmp/dlhosts
    /tmp/dlhosts
fi
cru a Gethosts "45 23 * * 5 /tmp/dlhosts"
i found this back in the day sometime not sure where so thanx if it was from you and you are reading it =P

oh and on a 2nd note they did not say it in the show but the username could also be and has been for the last 3 installs i have done be "root" just a fyi.

Last edited by arcole : 09-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF View Post

ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install p7zip tftp

Last edited by computoman : 10-01-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtoprecords View Post
One point that the otherwise fine episode missed:

A power problem during a flash of a router is an easy way to make a brick. So while doing this, plug both your PC and the router into a UPS.
I have everything on ups by default so sometimes I forget about that. I agree and be patient with it. There are things that need to be done by the router after the file is transfered. I know I waited a couple of extra minutes to make sure everything was installed and ok.

1. Thalt shall have ups
2. Thalt shall backup.

I bet one could come up with the ten commandments of computing.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 AM
haku

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcole View Post
here is a way to make the router download a host file to block ads and a whole long list of bad sites.
A router with a hosts file? ok, now this topic has definitely grabbed my attention.

I've been using one of those blacklisting hosts files on my main PC for a couple of years now and it's absolutely wonderful at stripping out most adverts from websites. Couldn't really use it on this Asus Eee because the browser would pause for 2 minutes after starting up as it would digest the 600kb hosts file, so instead I manually add advertising sites to the hosts file and that works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
I bet one could come up with the ten commandments of computing.
One of them would have to be

"Thou shalt not buy online or post to forums whilst intoxicated"
Old 10-01-2008, 03:19 AM
uplink64

Well I just finished upgrading my router and so far it's running like a champion.

Last edited by Uplink64 : 10-01-2008 at 03:23 AM.