Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Systm

Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 PM
clu

Post Episode 74 - Stop Scammers: Nuke, Grind or Melt Your Hard Drive [Discussion]

Selling your old computerr? Donating it to charity? Learn how to permanently wipe your hard drives, with and without a blow torch!

Watch or download here.

Last edited by Serafina : 10-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 PM
seshan

Link is broken. But I know where to find it anyways
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

fixed.

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
haku

Coincedence time, recently I was watching a bunch of shredding videos on YouTube from some user called bigshredder, this is how they tackle harddrives

Informative episode this time, I was hoping for more footage on the physical destruction of the platters, would have been nice to see Patrick get more creative on their demise, like the use of a nibbler.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:11 AM
barrywoods

Hahaha! That's great. Hey, I've run dban on dell servers with hardware raid arrays. Just configure them before hand as a jbod array. Took 48 hours for 16 drives with the autonuke setting. My site still has the railroad spike through a drive, and one a buddy did by shooting a trio of stacked drives with a .45-70.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:07 AM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku View Post
Coincedence time, recently I was watching a bunch of shredding videos on YouTube from some user called bigshredder, this is how they tackle harddrives

Informative episode this time, I was hoping for more footage on the physical destruction of the platters, would have been nice to see Patrick get more creative on their demise, like the use of a nibbler.
I like the one for the monitors. At one Nasa facility they did the disk wiping and the destroying of the drives.
If you destroy the platters, can you save the motors and electronic parts for robotic projects? I wonder what would happen if you barbecued the platters?

Last edited by computoman : 10-23-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 AM
dosbomber

One word: Thermite.

Just find a nice, quiet, safe place to use it, and bring a CO2 fire extinguisher (NOT WATER), just in case.

Professional services? Trust No One.

Responsible, recycle, reuse? Trust No One. Besides, hard drives are what, $100-ish for 750 GB? They're CHEAP. Also, it sounds like most of the charitable places you can send your hard drives to for reuse are students who have little better to do than spend hours trying to read data off their new previously used hard drive.

If you are going to permanently retire a hard drive and you want its data gone forever, find a nice spot in the country, and buy some tiny flower pots.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 AM
fishtoprecords

OK, so what was this episode supposed to be about?

There was no "project" here, there was nothing to show. The only thing even slightly challenging was finding a torch.

Melting the disk was kinda fun, worth a two minute clip. Where was the real show?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
barrywoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
I like the one for the monitors. At one Nasa facility they did the disk wiping and the destroying of the drives.
If you destroy the platters, can you save the motors and electronic parts for robotic projects? I wonder what would happen if you barbecued the platters?
If its a charcoal barbe it might get hot enough, if you sit the platters in the fire, to erase them. I don't think they'd melt too much. One that runs off propane probably would do the same, get it hot enough to make it unreadable, but I'm not sure. 500F is as hot as my gas barbecue could get. My forge can get steel up to around 2100-2300F. I can't melt it, but I can melt glass and aluminum in there.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM
pixelator99

I am suprised Roger and Patrick didn't mention that all hard drives since around 2001 have a built in secure erase feature that can securely wipe a hard drive in a very short time.

The NSA actually rates it more secure than the overwriting utilities like boot and nuke.

more info and a link to a program that accesses the secure erase feature at:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

(I did notice that it did not see my USB external drives when I tried it)

There are also hardware devices that will access the secure erase feature built into your drives.

The PRO version of this device supports secure erase.
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/Drive_eRazer.php