Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > iFanboy

View Poll Results: Are You a DC or Marvel?
DC 25 43.10%
Marvel 29 50.00%
Neither for me! 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 AM
sarahg42

Send a message via ICQ to sarahg42 Send a message via AIM to sarahg42 Send a message via MSN to sarahg42 Send a message via Yahoo to sarahg42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_caroline View Post
But the way I read the poll, your assumption is that someone either prefers DC to Marvel, or Marvel to DC, or they like "neither." That's the definition of a false dichotomy. Now, if the "neither" option is meant to encompass "I like both equally", that's different. But that's not how I read it.

Totally academic, anyway, because Marvel is better :P.
Yes, "Neither for me" is meant to encompass I like both equally or I prefer some other company... Perhaps I should have made it more clear but when you create poll in the last five minutes of your work-day clarity is an afterthought. LOL.

Yeah Marvel Shchmarvel DC Rules!

*snickers*
j/k

Seriously though, I am not all anti-marvel. There are some characters I love. Gambit, Jubilee and Warlock to name a few... *shrugs* It is just that I tend to lean DC between the two "big" guys... I guess it is what I grew up loving. I had Wonder Woman underoos for cryin out loud. *laughs*

Last edited by SarahG42 : 12-14-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 AM
oh_caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahG42 View Post
Yes, "Neither for me" is meant to encompass I like both equally or I prefer some other company... Perhaps I should have made it more clear but when you create poll in the last five minutes of your work-day clarity is an afterthought. LOL.

Yeah Marvel Shchmarvel DC Rules!

*snickers*
j/k

Seriously though, I am not all anti-marvel. There are some characters I love. Gambit, Jubilee and Warlock to name a few... *shrugs* It is just that I tend to lean DC between the two "big" guys... I guess it is what I grew up loving. I had Wonder Woman underoos for cryin out loud. *laughs*
I was being a little facetious myself. I read more Marvel at the moment and the X-Men + Iron Man are sort of my comics-reading "home." But there are a lot of DC Comics I like, too, with "52" and "The Question" and "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" being a few of my all-time favorite series. So I don't really have 'the argument' with anyone in my life and, if anything, I spend time trying to get my Marvel-loving friends to try more DC & Vertigo books.

Fantastic Fangirls: Comics and Culture
http://fantasticfangirls.org

Last edited by oh_caroline : 12-14-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 AM
sarahg42

Send a message via ICQ to sarahg42 Send a message via AIM to sarahg42 Send a message via MSN to sarahg42 Send a message via Yahoo to sarahg42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_caroline View Post
So I don't really have 'the argument' with anyone my life and, if anything, I spend time trying to get my Marvel-loving friends to try more DC & Vertigo books.
Well the "arguments" my bf and I have are always interesting... really more debates -- no hurt feelings in the end. And we always read what the other is reading. So it all works out. I think getting people to open their minds to new books is the best thing about these types of discussions.

It's just funny to me how rampant and vicious and protective some people can get about "their side". I have read some pretty intense arguments on forums between the two camps.

Though -- I think even hardcore Marvel, anti-DC, fans get into some Vertigo now and again. They have been putting out some brilliant stuff for quite a while now.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:42 AM
zombox

I disagree. While anyone can write anything, continuity has generally dictated a certain paradigm in each respective character. Hulk is pretty much the strongest and toughest character in Marvel, at least that has a regular presence. His greatest feats are unimaginable to us, certainly, but they are a pale shadow of what Superman can do in any form. Someone could come along and write a Hulk story here he cracks the planet with his bare hands. Can you imagine how much people would mock that as a break from the the established power that the Hulk has? Superman, on the other hand, absolutely could shatter Earth in most of his incarnations. In that case, we'd wonder if the writers had been reading Superman at all. This is just one of many examples in measureable difference in characters power level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labor_Days View Post
This is a myth with no concrete examples to prove it is true.

Superman / Hulk
Wonder Woman / Sentry
Batman / Captain America
Darkseid / Galactus
Monitor / Uatu
Neron / Mephisto
Flash / Silver Surfer
Zatanna / Scarlet Witch
Green Arrow / Hawkeye

Etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 AM
sarahg42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombox View Post
This is just one of many examples in measurable difference in characters power level.
Can you tell me this... why is it that Superman is the one example everyone uses in this argument? He does have his flaws and plenty of weaknesses as well... Just sayin'
Old 12-14-2008, 05:10 AM
jmstump

Send a message via AIM to jmstump Send a message via MSN to jmstump

Quote:
Someone could come along and write a Hulk story here he cracks the planet with his bare hands. Can you imagine how much people would mock that as a break from the the established power that the Hulk has?
In Planet Hulk, Hulk holds a planet together his bare hands. Just saying.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 AM
excalipoor

i'm a marvel zombie. y the last man is the only dc title i ever bought. well, but my monthly marvel issues are getting less and less. secret invasion really hurts my wallet, i'm gonna save that money for a DSLR or a PS3 instead. i did digg the initiative tie-in to the secret invasion. skrull kill krew is funny.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 AM
esophagus

Quote:
I disagree. While anyone can write anything, continuity has generally dictated a certain paradigm in each respective character. Hulk is pretty much the strongest and toughest character in Marvel, at least that has a regular presence. His greatest feats are unimaginable to us, certainly, but they are a pale shadow of what Superman can do in any form. Someone could come along and write a Hulk story here he cracks the planet with his bare hands. Can you imagine how much people would mock that as a break from the the established power that the Hulk has? Superman, on the other hand, absolutely could shatter Earth in most of his incarnations. In that case, we'd wonder if the writers had been reading Superman at all. This is just one of many examples in measureable difference in characters power level.
Superman has been "powered down" just about as often as Hulk has. Besides, Superman's character is meant to represent flawed perfection. The struggle of great power. His power level is far from representative of the heroes in the DCU as a whole. In fact I would say, as a whole, DC has a lot more room for heroes with no powers whatsoever than Marvel does. Still, overall the power levels of both companies are probably somewhere around equal. DC definitely isn't more "powered up" though.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 AM
winthewonderboy

I love Marvel, but marvel never gave me (All Star)Superman, Batman, Starman, all the amazing Vertigo series and WATCHMEN!!! though, Alias kicked ass and the icon books are awesome. In the end I'm a DC Boy through and through.

My girlfriends a DC Girl. So no arguments, we both agree DC's way better then marvel
Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 AM
sarahg42

Quote:
Originally Posted by esophagus View Post
DC definitely isn't more "powered up" though.
I think it can be boiled down to the fact that Marvel is more grounded in our real world... while DC is in an alternate Earth essentially... easier to bend things that way.