Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Systm

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM
haku

Default Episode 104 - Build a Remote Controlled Beer Keg [Discussion]

Beer kegs have been around since the 60's but the technology really hasn't changed all that much. Well figured it's about time. We put one up on motorized wheels and install a remote control tapping giving you full control over where it goes and how much it pours.

Watch / download here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant episode! proper DIY with robotics and RC! and beer! I wonder what beer related robot will appear next week...

I think a worthy addition to the RC beer keg would be a wireless camera so the remote barman can see where they're driving the thing and who's put their glass up to the tap for a drink so they can decide wether or not to give them their drink.

Just one question, did you clean out the solenoid after your unique testing method before the intern got her remotely poured beer?

I lied, another question, how good are the Spektrum radio setups? I've probably got near a dozen 27mhz controllers here for my vintage collection of Tamiya RC cars but often find they glitch even at short distances. The only thing that's so far prevented me dipping into the 2.4ghz RC controller setups is the price.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
maynza

Just an FYI, Micromatic is a brand not a thing. The part that taps the keg is called a sankey. I install beer systems and do cleanings on them, Micromatic supplies about half the gear I use for installations. Also keep the keg below 36 degrees or you will be enjoying cup after cup of head.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 AM
guytheninja
Elite Member

Default 50 Psi?

Thats not 50 Psi. Its 50 Kpa or kilopascals. If you look at the gauge it should be read --> 8 Psi. Did you pick up an empty canister by mistake Dave? (I'm telling you units are important!)

Other than that I really liked this show. There definitely seems to be a beer and robot theme going on here.

Last edited by Guytheninja : 05-19-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 AM
computoman

Interesting. Sure would love to learn how to arc weld. I do not drink beer, but I could see some other applications say as for non-alcoholic beverages. I could also see it for a moveable water sprinkler, yard fertilizer, or the like.

Last edited by computoman : 05-19-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
mbuchman

Couple huge mistakes I saw...

1) Don't drive around in your car with a regulator attached to your cylinder. It is not a big deal to attach it yourself, just make sure the gasket is inserted, then tighten up. What we do for our CO2 setup is we put everything (including the cylinder) inside of a toolbox with an adjustable wrench, and after a few minutes of assembly, we are flowing beer!

2) In the beginning, it is suggested that you may need 60 to 100psi of CO2 for your keg. This is not accurate at all. (I believe the line was "Our specific keg needs 60 psi"). You would only use 12-16psi for most beers at a reasonable 34-38 DegF keg temperature.

Edit: Okay, so yes, it looks like Guytheninja is correct in Dave just missing the units. But 8 psi is too low, especially for warm beer. Control speed with hose length, not pressure (you should use about 8 to 10 feet of hose, just go with the micromatic stuff when you buy your tapper).

Yes, you would need higher pressures if you had a more elaborate setup (like 100 or more feet of hose), in which case you really should be mixing nitrogen and CO2. The CO2 is only to keep the beer properly carbonated, the fact it helps bring the beer out is an added bonus.

Just a side note for the corporate sponsor (who I am in no way related to), Coors Light is made in two different ways, but the one I bought last weekend should be pressurized at 14psi at 38 DegF.

The easy way to figure out your pressure is to use this calculator...

http://kegman.net/equilibrium.html
You can find out more info at the MicroMatic website for mroe information than you would ever want to know.

Cheers!

Last edited by mbuchman : 05-19-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 AM
fishtoprecords

Adjustable wrench on a flare nut? For shame. I'm sure Patrick has some proper wrenches.

No teflon tap on solinoid or beer tap. Why not? its cheap.

Plus, Dave's rig is missing a key component: refrigerator or ice to keep the keg cold.

Next version should have optical or IR sensors to make sure that there is a valid glass/mug to catch the beer. Don't want to waste it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 AM
guytheninja
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchman View Post
2) In the beginning, it is suggested that you may need 60 to 100psi of CO2 for your keg. This is not accurate at all. (I believe the line was "Our specific keg needs 60 psi"). You would only use 12-16psi for most beers at a reasonable 34-38 DegF keg temperature.
Thats good to know. It makes sense that the optimal pressure is somewhere around 12-16psi. I was very confused when he said 50 psi ----- because Fire Hydrants operate at 50 psi .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_hydrant
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM
kiwifrog

Another good show, I'd still like to see some scratch build electronics.

Mike,
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
metagrobol

Default Actually It would be interesting

although also a total waste to see what happens if you dispense beer @50psi . . .

it might really change the dynamic of the party.
(how far away can you be when you set it off?)
Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
boldfire
Elite Member

Cool episode. Glad Systm is back to doing cool projects, also glad to see it away from the green screen set - in the workshop looks so much better!