Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Systm

Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
maver

I've used geekbox a lot but i haven't found where the upnp options are.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
harbourkid

Smile ubuntu

where do u get the media codecs from for ubuntu ? i am new to this os does it come with media tomb?
Its so i can run hd content without transcoding any help would be appreicated.

Last edited by harbourkid : 05-26-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
computoman

Gosh, I am almost tempted to put debian back on my Cisco Linksys nslu2 and make it a server again including mediatomb. Even better get a router with usb support and put linux and mediatomb on it. That would be awesome.

I just tried the latest geexbox live and it seemed foobared. Acceeiing upnp server., you have add them add them as an additional source like you would any of your media files. That is the way I had to do it on xbmc. Took me a second to figure it out too. I will have to check into it. My cdrom drive is flaky anyway lately. I installed xmbc on a desktop ubuntu ibex and it works great. Saved me buying appletv, xbox 360, or the like. I have not tried xbmc with mythtv yet. Maybe later this week.

As for the codecs there can be some licensing issues in the United States there unless you use only ogg files. There are some conversion programs to convert mp?, wav, or etc to ogg. There are several companies that do license media codecs for linux. If you are not subject to US or similar laws in your country they can be installed from the various repos. For legal reasons, I choose not to include more detail.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ia_codecs.html

Xbox360 (Try at your own risk.....)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x360mediaserve/

Last edited by computoman : 05-26-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
haku

Despite my "oh god not another fricken software install episode! why the flip isn't this on Tekzilla!" attitude I might have to have a re-watch of this because last year I was given a D-Link DSM-520 wireless HD media player which has upnp support, and the media server software they give you for running on a Windows machine is crap, keep having to quit & restart it.

BTW why is it so many digital video players (software & hardware variants) have such atrocious ffwd/rew capability? including a lot of DVD players (and the D-Link device I was given). The only digital video player I've used which I think ALL other players should copy in regards to ffwd/rew is my Archos AV500, you can skip back/forward in 1 & 30 second increments with virtually no delay when just tapping the ffwd/rew buttons singally, and press & hold them down and the ffws/rew speed accelerates so you can skip right to the end of a 2 hour video in a matter of seconds - with stills showing on the screen of where you are during the skipping.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

This was an okay episode except for one glaring, horrendous, and almost unforgivable error...

"Wyatt Earp" with Kevin Costner was a *MUCH* better movie.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
dcmackie

Default MediaTomb on Directv DVR

I was intrigued by Patrick's reference to Directv. Can anyone recommend a link to where the setup is explained?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
mmgunner

As much as I cringed at seeing the systm set with laptops, knowing that I was in for another software episode. I had to realise that we had just been given 3 hardware based systm episodes! Can we deal with ONE software episode! Please quit complaining!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
computoman

Maybe they can do an episode on putting xmbc on the original xbox.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:57 AM
oldman22

Default as per xbox 360

i i have the 360 going to try the tvversty thingy do i need to use a router i am lost in the sauce sorry
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 AM
computoman

They need to be connected in some way. I would assume you use your computer to the internet. Just depends on how your computer connects to the internet now. Please tell us if you can how you connect to the internet.