Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Hardware / Gadgets

Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 PM
aussie

Default Linksys AG241 - Dead LAN Ports

Last week my Linksys AG241 lost its LAN connection. I was going to buy a new one, but I decided to have a crack at getting it working again.
As far as I could tell, the ADSL connection was fine, just all the LAN ports were starting to fail. It started off saying "Network Cable Unplugged"
then it would connect again within a few seconds. It wasn't long before all the LAN ports were completely dead.

I found an article about someone with a similar issue, that replaced a capacitor and revived their unit. As I live in a remote area, I went and
found some old DVD and Video players. Luckily they had similar capacitors so I swapped them out one by one. I first replaced the one circled
in "Yellow" as this capacitor was beginning to bulge. Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue, but it appeared to need replacing anyway.

I then replaced the smaller capacitors circled in "Red" starting from the bottom one first, then worked my way up. Unfortunately for me,
it appeared to be the last one that did the trick, and I now have my ADSL Modem back from the brink of certain death at least for now.

The capacitor circled in "Yellow" has a value of 16v 470uF which I luckily found the same one. The smaller capacitors circled in "Red" have a
value of 16v 33uF, however I only found one rated at 25v 33uF so I fitted that. The others I used were rated at 16v 47uF and appeared to work fine.

If anyone wishes to try this, I recommend you use the correct value capacitors which should be around $2.00 for the four smaller ones. As these
capacitors are quite small, it can be rather difficult removing and replacing these without damaging the copper track on the circuit board.

Take your time, and allow for a few hours to do this repair, it just might save you a bit of cash rather than having to buy a new Modem or Router,
as this fix also works for the WAG54G. I used a 25watt fine point soldering iron, and a large magnifying glass.

WARNING - Capacitors in general can hold considerable voltage for some time after the unit is turned off or unplugged and can kill so be careful,
although these capacitors should be fine....You have been warned.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 AM
computoman

Bravo for you! The MacGyver award goes to you....