Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Co-Op

Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
ArmpitOfDeath

Default Please recommend me a PS3 game I can get into.

It's probably a situation which many of you have come across. I use my PS3's mainly as a media extender / DVD player. I actually have three of the buggers at home. When I got them they were still quite a big deal and I thought I'd be hosting PS3 gaming sessions with my friends, but alas - since I live out of the way, most of my mates are too lazy to make the shlep.

The real problem though is that the games I've bought for it haven't really made any impact at all. The only one is Gran Turismo I guess, and even I pick that up once in a blue moon. I dunno if anyone has a similar problem to mine, but I'm quite an avid PC gamer - as far as I go (say 5 hours a week), but the PS3 is lucky if I pick it up for half an hour a fortnight and I just haven't found anything that draws me in.

One of my latest purchases was Prototype, which kept me occupied for about 15 minutes before it got repetitive. Maybe it's the console thing, where I'm never quite sure which button I'm pressing. I'm not sure what it is, but I have yet to find a single title which keeps me amused in the ways that many PC titles can.

Can anybody recommend me a PS3 title to blow my socks off both in terms of graphics and gameplay and really show off what the Playstation is about?

Last edited by ArmpitOfDeath : 07-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
az0madman
Elite Member

To be fair, Prototype is a PC game as well.

Check out Uncharted if only to catch up and be ready for Uncharted 2. The game is really one of the best PS3 has to offer. Other games I found to show off the system well would be inFamous and Metal Gear Solid 4. Though if you didn't like Prototype, you MIGHT not like inFamous (only because they share some simlarities), and if you can get over the fact that you will be watching a lot of cut scenes in MGS4, then it can be a great experience.

What games do you have already?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 PM
gta_bmx

Little Big Planet...........also I don't know if you like sports games, but they are extremely fun, especially playing against your friends in the same room. There's American rules football, soccer (football), Australian rules football, Rugby, baseball, basketball, hockey, NASCAR, rally racing, golf.

If you're boring easily with the action/adventure type games, then a sports game may be just the ticket. You can really hone your skills, and games don't take long to play. Tiger Woods PGA Tour is easy to lose yourself in, to try to keep beating your scores or beat your mates.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Another vote for Little Big Planet.

I bought our PS3 primarily as a Bluray player last Xmas ... and got my wife hooked on LBP. It is mildly addictive ... to the point that we got in an elevator at her school yesterday and I started whistling a tune that tends to get used in levels as elevator music - just like we do when we are playing.

I like car racing games - but really haven't got into it on the PS3. I have Mtorstorm Pacific (lots of fun), and DiRT (fun, but not really suited to controller play), but don't have GT.

I'm not really into sports sims (beyond racing), and my lone RPG is Elderscrolls Oblivion (not played as much as I'd like).

BUT - Little Big Planet is fun to play by yourself, even more fun to play with 2-4 players, and has tons of extra levels online created by the users to play that range from the terrible to game studio quality.

Last edited by tokenuser : 07-12-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 AM
subwayfox

I personally really liked the game of the year edition of Oblivion and MGS4.

Cant comment on PS3 games that just came out though.

I liked Everyday shooter as a download-able game.

You might want to find the demo for DIRT I rather liked that game if you like racers.

What kind of games have you gotten in to before???
(Do you go for story, shotters, RPG, or what?)
Old 07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
bjkrautk

The great thing about the PS3 (or the 360, lest I be accused of fanboyism) is that you can demo certain types of games before you drop $20-60 on them.

Hop on PSN and download the following Demos:
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
- Rachet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Burnout Paradise

If anything there sparks an interest, chances are most of us can provide other game recommendations (beyond the full versions of those games) which you might like.

As far as things that you have to pay for, Rock Band 2 gets the most playtime on my PS3. I'd usually recommend "The Orange Box" to anyone who doesn't have it on PS3/360....but you'd probably be better off getting it on the PC than PS3.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
tamtamg

+1 for uncharted and ratchet games

PSN = tamtamg
Gamertag = tamtamg
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
ArmpitOfDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkrautk View Post
The great thing about the PS3 (or the 360, lest I be accused of fanboyism) is that you can demo certain types of games before you drop $20-60 on them.

Hop on PSN and download the following Demos:
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
- Rachet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Burnout Paradise

If anything there sparks an interest, chances are most of us can provide other game recommendations (beyond the full versions of those games) which you might like.

As far as things that you have to pay for, Rock Band 2 gets the most playtime on my PS3. I'd usually recommend "The Orange Box" to anyone who doesn't have it on PS3/360....but you'd probably be better off getting it on the PC than PS3.
Dang. I never use PSN, never thought about it.

I'll do that. Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
decepticon

In this order (IMO):

inFamous
Uncharted
MGS4
Facebook
Last.fm

iFanboy Profile

XBL Gamertag: Decepticon0
PSN: Decepticon0
Old 07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
kzap
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmpitOfDeath View Post
It's probably a situation which many of you have come across. I use my PS3's mainly as a media extender / DVD player. I actually have three of the buggers at home. When I got them they were still quite a big deal and I thought I'd be hosting PS3 gaming sessions with my friends.
You have 3 PS3s???
I have none and I don't even have any cake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1jB4hVJRg <- Satire (in case you didn't know)

As for PS3 games (my friend has a PS3 and these are my favorite out of his games):
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Uncharted (and the beta of Uncharted 2)
  • inFAMOUS
  • Burnout
  • Little Big Planet
I'll post more when I remember them.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)