Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM
baddox

Default DVI to HDMI adapters - do they work?

I am considering buying a plasma HDTV that has HDMI and component inputs, but no DVI or VGA. Most of my content will be from my media center PC, so I must be able to hook up the PC to the TV. Do DVI-HDMI adapters and cables work perfectly fine for this? As I understand it, DVI and HDMI are very similar technically (other than HDMI obviously carrying sound). So if I get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook my PC to my TV with that and set my PC resolution to 1920x1080, there should be no issues whatsoever, correct? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
tehboris
Elite Member

They work fine. The problem is usually the TV. They can present unusual resolutions or refresh rates the the computer.

Some TV's specifically claim to not be compatible with PCs. I'm guessing this is because they are rubbish TVs. Strangely, some monitors with HDMI have similar issues. This is most likely because they used the same processing units as the TVs that don't work properly.

Check your TVs manual for PC 'compatibility'. One might use the term 'implements HDMI correctly' in place of 'DVI to HDMI compatibility' when referring to a displays connectivity.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
freakazoid12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddox View Post
As I understand it, DVI and HDMI are very similar technically (other than HDMI obviously carrying sound). So if I get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook my PC to my TV with that and set my PC resolution to 1920x1080, there should be no issues whatsoever, correct? Thanks for the info.
"similar"? try exactly the same signaling used in DVI and HDMI as it pertains to video.

hell, i've got a DVI -> HDMI switch -> DVI setup going on for my main pc display right now just fine
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
darkknight512

They work perfectly, as long as your video card can have custom resolutions to make up for funny resolutions sent to your computer by your TV.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
techtom

Default Good experience*

I've used DVI-HDMI, DVI-M1, and M1-HDMI and have good success. I did, however, have to upgrade the firmware of my Infocus projector (Screenplay 4805) to get the HDMI-M1 to pass. I purchased all my adapters from Monoprice- saved a bundle!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 AM
thalidomiderobot

I know several friends that have done the same thing without a hitch.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
smoke_me_a_kipper

I use one for my older TV and yes, there can be issues.

I have an older Sony rear-projection CRT TV. It has a DVI (with HDCP) port instead of HDMI. I had it connected to my Xbox 360 via component. I then bought a new Sony AV receiver with HDMI switching so I could connect my Bluray, 360 and TV via HDMI . To my dismay the Sony receiver would not allow the audio from the 360 to play since the TV did not support audio via the DVI. There is a small note to the effect that this "may" happen with HDMI to DVI devices.
I suspect it's a HDCP DRM issue.

I had to switch the new Receiver with the older one, and use the TV to handle the video inputs. The Bluray player had to be connected via component. The same "problem" receiver worked perfectly on a HDMI TV with my PS3.

Read the manuals for all your hardware you are going to connect via HDMI.

Last edited by smoke_me_a_kipper : 09-18-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Regarding the Sony Receiver with switching HDMI ...

I had similar issues, so I have the video going from my PS3 and Cable box going via HDMI to the receiver, and the audio going via optical cable. I have then paired the optical and HDMI signals from each device so that when I hit DVD the PS3 is selected - video is routed (via HDMI) to the TV, and audio is played at the amp/receiver and goes out via the surround sound speakers. I dont use the TV speakers at all - no even as a centre channel since they sound tinny compared to the rest of my speakers.

If you have assignable video/audio inputs, there are ways to work around the defaults.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 PM
smoke_me_a_kipper

I did think about doing your setup tokenuser, but this install was my 360 + Bluray + TV. I needed the optical for 360 and the coax for the BluRay (or versus).The PS3 would have worked since it was a single device. I really needed a receiver with more than one optical and one coax to make it work.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
bobv13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddox View Post
I am considering buying a plasma HDTV that has HDMI and component inputs, but no DVI or VGA. Most of my content will be from my media center PC, so I must be able to hook up the PC to the TV. Do DVI-HDMI adapters and cables work perfectly fine for this? As I understand it, DVI and HDMI are very similar technically (other than HDMI obviously carrying sound). So if I get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook my PC to my TV with that and set my PC resolution to 1920x1080, there should be no issues whatsoever, correct? Thanks for the info.
I run an DVI->HDMI to my Panasonic plasma TV with no problems, however because my PC has no audio pass through I also need to run a separate audio cable. I'm using a two year old Nvidia MoBo with on-board graphics. The driver nvidia supplied had the needed resolutions for both Windows 7 and Linux-Mint. I stream everything under the sun through it and have never had issue one. (home movies, gaming, netflix, hulu, pictures, youtube, mp3, .....) It's heaven