Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
subwayfox

Default Should I get HDMI cables from monoprice or bluejeancables.com ?

Should I get HDMI cables from monoprice or bluejeancables.com ?

I think I will need a 10ft cable.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Yes. But do a search locally too. B&M stores need support too.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
subwayfox

I never heard of B&M, I tried searching for it and I did not find anything.

I would like to support local retailers but Im not paying 50 bucks for monster cables.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
vance

Most will tell you that Monster cables are a complete rip-off. They are no better than any other cable, but costs a LOT more. Blue Jean is a great option, as is monoprice.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfox View Post
I never heard of B&M, I tried searching for it and I did not find anything.

I would like to support local retailers but Im not paying 50 bucks for monster cables.
B&M - Brick and Mortar ... your local retailer.

You don't need monster cable (although I do buy spools of their speaker wire for running in-wall/crawlspace connections). HDMI is digital. Provided the plugs are secure, all should be OK.

I am almost ashamed to say this, but go check the prices at WalMart. If they have what you want, their prices generally are pretty good (and they have a terrific return policy).
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM
viper527

Default Monoprice or Bluejeans cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
B&M - Brick and Mortar ... your local retailer.

You don't need monster cable (although I do buy spools of their speaker wire for running in-wall/crawlspace connections). HDMI is digital. Provided the plugs are secure, all should be OK.

I am almost ashamed to say this, but go check the prices at WalMart. If they have what you want, their prices generally are pretty good (and they have a terrific return policy).
Mono price and blue jeans cable will both give you a great experience and quality product. The Mono price cables are slightly lower priced and please do NOT listen to the previous post. Walmart will be at least twice the price as either of the afformentioned places. The ONLY reason I go to a brick and mortar store is if I must have a cable for an install and can't wait to order one.

Viper
Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Quote:
but go check the prices at WalMart
This may vary by area, but in central Indiana Walmart's HDMI cable prices are effing ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Ignore Viper.

The price of Bluejeans cable and a similar quality cable at Walmart is about the same (look it up)... noone figures in the cost shipping and handling when comparing prices (express shipping will cost more). If you can put up with Walmart - it has the instant gratification that will get you up and running today.

Monoprice are significantly cheaper, but I have heard that they have had connector issues you dont get through the bluejeans cables. If you need to return a cable, a retailer you can walk into will be a lot easier to do.

And if you want to believe the hype, bluejeans have cables significantly more expensive than a local B&M store (even more $$$ than a monster cable).

FWIW - if you need a non standard length, or something more esoteric than what you are currently looking for, bluejean is definitely the way to go. I am going to be running cable through walls for a wallmount LCD soon and will be using them for the inwall cables.

Last edited by tokenuser : 09-02-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 AM
thalidomiderobot

Tokenuser, giving love to the B&M! The prices are dropping in stores so check around. Places that have in house brands and such are the best, but unfortunately for the bigger "consumer electronics" stores monster and then some other cable half that price are your only options, which are like davmoo says, effing ridiculous!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
viper527

Default OK, settle down there token

Quote:
Ignore Viper.

The price of Bluejeans cable and a similar quality cable at Walmart is about the same (look it up)... noone figures in the cost shipping and handling when comparing prices (express shipping will cost more). If you can put up with Walmart - it has the instant gratification that will get you up and running today.

Monoprice are significantly cheaper, but I have heard that they have had connector issues you dont get through the bluejeans cables. If you need to return a cable, a retailer you can walk into will be a lot easier to do.

And if you want to believe the hype, bluejeans have cables significantly more expensive than a local B&M store (even more $$$ than a monster cable).

FWIW - if you need a non standard length, or something more esoteric than what you are currently looking for, bluejean is definitely the way to go. I am going to be running cable through walls for a wallmount LCD soon and will be using them for the inwall cables.
I found two cables that were close to blue jeans prices on Walmart's website. They were able to ship them to a store of my choice (witch is a hassle). If I am going to order online why would I not order from a cheaper and better source? I did a check for in store cables within a 100 mile radius and there were ZERO stores that carried them and I live in an area where there are dozens of Walmarts' inside a 100 mile radius. The blue jeans cables are better quality for less price, PERIOD! The ones that were anywhere near blue jeans prices in store were almost double! AND, you have to pay tax on top of that. I understand you have a lot of posts on here and you think you are an expert in the field but you are WRONG. Maybe you work for a B&M store and are just trying to save your job I don't know.

Viper

Last edited by viper527 : 09-02-2009 at 03:02 PM.