Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
crzy8sal

Send a message via MSN to crzy8sal
Default Dan: Why don't you drink? (A.K.A. The Not-Drinking Thread)

Dan's mentioned on the show several times now that he doesn't drink. I've been very curious as to "Why?" Also, have you never tried it?

I know many of us have said "I'm never drinking again!" after a particularly bad hangover, but the majority of us never actually do. About two weeks ago I had one of such nights, though luckily I didn't do anything too embarrassing, and I've been thinking "Why don't I ACTUALLY quit?". I mean, why do people drink? Is it cause they can't have fun otherwise? Is it cause they want to do things subconsciously that they'd be too embarrassed to do sober? Or just cause they like the taste of some alcoholic beverages, and if that's the reason: is it because they sincerely just like the taste, or is it because they happen to be (slightly) addicted to alcohol?

Now, I wouldn't ever call myself an alcoholic, I've always just drank one day in the weekend, never two, and during the week maybe once or twice a week just a single beer after dinner. Also, in the weekend I would sometimes get drink, but other weekends I would only have 3 or 4 drinks.

However lately I've been wondering why I actually do it. I mean, it's bad for you physically, and you can sometimes do some pretty stupid things you regret, so is it really worth it? I haven't had a drink in like two weeks, and actually I really miss it, especially when other people are drinking it really makes me want to get a beer too.

I'm just torn between if drinking is "bad" or not. Of course there's a distinction between people who drink in moderation and people who are alcoholics. I've known both types of people in my life. One part of me keeps thinking: life is short, just enjoy yourself, if you wanna have a beer, have a beer! And sure every once in a while you might get drunk, but it's OK, it's socially accepted. The other part keeps thinking: why do you need to drink anyway? Is it that hard to just have fun without being impaired?

I also find it interesting how alcohol is socially accepted. Especially since it's technically a hard drug (I think). I mean, if someone gets wasted and then does something stupid, say hurt someone they love, often times a simple "I'm really sorry, I was so drunk yesterday" will suffice and the other person will forgive and forget relatively easily. If you did the same thing sober, it would've been a lot more serious. Or even if you're under the influence of another drug, say, cocaine, then it'll still be way worse than when you say it under the influence of alcohol. So, why do we accept alcohol but not most other drugs? Alcohol isn't the least worse of the lot... Perhaps it's because it's so easy to make tasty drinks with them, and you don't have to snort it or smoke it.

Either way, this thread is getting quite long. I've just been thinking about this a lot lately, figuring out if I want to stop drinking or not, I'm finding it hard to decide cause there's pros and cons to both sides. So I'm throwing it out there, what are your opinions on drinking/not drinking? And to bring it back to the topic title, the person who inspired me to even think about this at all: Dan, why don't you drink?

(Because Dan is the only person I "know" (well, you know ) that chooses not to drink, which I find fascinating)
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM
kzap
Elite Member

I'm taking a break from drinking.
Unlike most people I know, I don't drink alcoholic to get drunk, I drink it because I like the taste of whatever drink it is.
I'm stopping (at least temporarily) after looking after someone who was VERY drunk and realizing how embarrassing that must have been for them and how I wouldn't want that to happen to me.
It's not hard for me to stop drinking because legally my parents have to buy the alcohol for me.
(In the UK you can drink alcohol at any age but must be at least 18 to buy it, parents or gardens are allowed to buy it for you)

Not sure how long it will last but I didn't drink that often before hand.
I think with most people, going to the pun just something to do when you are with your friends, they don't do it to get drunk they do it because it's the social norm.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Last edited by kzap : 09-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
gonzooo

Send a message via ICQ to gonzooo

I don't drink. I've had some phases in the last 5 years where I just don't feel like drinking is worth it. The money I spent on it, the health aspect, the way I sometimes get when I get too drunk; it all adds up at some point and I feel like drinking is just unnecessary bullshit I need to get rid of.

I go to parties and hang out with my friends sober and it's really fun. The only real side-effect is you get some perspective on just how annoying and stupid some people get when they drink, something you've been too drunk to see before. Some people get really tiresome when they drink, and it doesn't necessarily have to be out of the ordinary; most people just become more annoying when they drink.

Two of the first three points about why I don't drink apply to cannabis too; the money isn't worth spending and it's bad for your health (not worse than alcohol, though, probably). I'd add that after being off cannabis for a while I found the high to be uncomfortable. If I had a vaporizer (which is the healthiest way of taking in THC) and cash to spend I'd much prefer cannabis over alcohol, but I really don't feel like doing any of them and haven't for a while now.

In the end, it's all unnecessary bullshit, and most people are better off appreciating the things that actually matter.

Last edited by GoNZooo : 09-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
kzap
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNZooo View Post
I don't drink. I've had some phases in the last 5 years where I just don't feel like drinking is worth it. The money I spent on it, the health aspect, the way I sometimes get when I get too drunk; it all adds up at some point and I feel like drinking is just unnecessary bullshit I need to get rid of.

I go to parties and hang out with my friends sober and it's really fun. The only real side-effect is you get some perspective on just how annoying and stupid some people get when they drink, something you've been too drunk to see before. Some people get really tiresome when they drink, and it doesn't necessarily have to be out of the ordinary; most people just become more annoying when they drink.

In the end, it's all unnecessary bullshit, and most people are better off appreciating the things that actually matter.
Totally agree, I've left parties because of the amount of alcoholic there was at them.

I think it's over-rated and sort of upsetting that it has become 'normal' for people to drink to have fun. We are at a point that people assume all adults drink and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing. Not saying drinking is always a terrible thing but I don't think it's as good as most people make it out to be, not drinking should be accepted as not unusual.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Last edited by kzap : 09-04-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
deegraww
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to deegraww

I don't drink either. The reasons are my own just as I'm sure dan's reasons are his own. If you want to drink go for it but if someone doesn't want to just leave it at that.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM
icu

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegraww View Post
I don't drink either. The reasons are my own just as I'm sure dan's reasons are his own. If you want to drink go for it but if someone doesn't want to just leave it at that.
Agreed! I drink on occasion and my reasons are my own. I do like the taste of it as well and consarnit it makes watching an entire baseball game possible!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
crzy8sal

Send a message via MSN to crzy8sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegraww View Post
I'm getting a "defensive" vibe from you, like I'm asking you to justify not drinking or something. If that's how I came across I apologize, I definitely didn't mean it like that. I'm simply curious, and I don't see how being curious and wanting to know why someone is the way they are is bad?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
kzap
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy8sal View Post
I'm getting a "defensive" vibe from you, like I'm asking you to justify not drinking or something. If that's how I came across I apologize, I definitely didn't mean it like that. I'm simply curious, and I don't see how being curious and wanting to know why someone is the way they are is bad?
Agreed.
If Dan doesn't what to answer we all respect that, if anyone doesn't want to answer don't feel you have to, Crzy8sal was just posing the question, no one is pushing for answers.
Everyone will have there own reasons, so I think it's good for people to share them (if they want to) it will help others make a more informed choice.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
spidoman

I don't drink for a myriad of reasons: religion, my own personal beliefs, a history of alcoholism in my family, way too many chemical addiction classes, and the culture of stupidity and regret that goes along with the culture of drinking that seems to be prevalent on college campuses.

Do I have less fun then people who get drunk? Honestly, yeah I probably have less fun. But I remember all the fun I have. And never wake up in the morning wondering if I should start regretting stuff.

I know there is such a thing as moderate alcohol use but with my family's history of alcoholism, and the culture of getting drunk (not just drinking) I'd much rather play it safe.

As for people who get defensive, I find that most people have no problem talking about why they don't drink. For probably 6 or 7 years now I've had to explain to my friends and classmates, no thanks I don't really want to go to the kegger, I don't drink. They aren't trying to get me to throw out my beliefs, they were just being friendly. There is no reason to be defensive if someone simply asks you about your beliefs.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

I drink to forget.
I drink to ease the pain.

Actually, I only drink socially - and never to the point where it puts me over the limit. I'll have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner occassionally, or if I am at a nicer restaurant. I'll drink beer at a BBQ.

I have many friends who don't drink at all - and indeed because I enjoy the occasional beer, they almost considered me an alcoholic (FFS ... how can you not enjoy a beer or a margharita with mexican food).

I never understood why those that don't drink seem to look down on those that do with almost a holier than thou attitude.

Personally, I don't care if someone drinks or doesn't drink. Makes no difference to me. If you are a friend drinking, I'll watch out for you - wont let you drive or get into (too much) trouble ... mates look out for each other.

It also makes no difference if Dan drinks or not. Who really cares? The money he saves can be spent on other vices.