Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

Default Episode 16 - HDTV Prices Dropping! Panasonic's 1" Plasma! Sub-$500 AV Receiver Picks, Unlimited Budget Home Theater Build, Top 5 Bad Horror Movies [Discussion]

Fight Sunlight On Your HDTV, HighDefDiscNews.com's Justin Sluss talks about the state of Blu-Ray. Robert Talks Over The Top Ultimate Home Theater, Roger's Top 5 Best Awful Scary Movies! The Blu-ray Releases for the Week of October 27th, 2009.

Watch or download this episode here

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 AM
digital69

Default Pioneer 1019

I have this unit ad all I can say is bad ass! for the price it kicks some ass.

I would love to get there premier line but well yeah....
Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Good show. Only thing I could say bad is that it appears the remotely interviewed dude isn't really comfortable doing interviews.

In a future show I'd like to see the opposite of what Robert did on this one. Instead of an unlimited budget, you've got a budget of like $1500 to $2000 dollars.

Oh, Roger...believe it or not, there are gangs, and Latino gangs at that, that do not get tattoos. While the movie may in fact be silly, the lack of tattoos isn't that far out.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
summerstormpictures

Default ''Worst, best horror movies'' (Chang's missed opportunity)

Chang missed one on his list with a royal opportunity for a bash-laugh-fest on what has to be one of the ''best-worst'' horror movies ever called ''DarkWolf'' from Fox. Guaranteed to make you laugh until you choke to death because it's so bad it's bad, especially if featured in a Halloween frat party.

Not only was this Fox film purposely conceptualized from the ground up to be the ''best-worst horror movie ever'' but it failed or succeeded magnificently depending on your state of mind (or lack of one).

Factors favoring including it on your list:

1. Produced just a year or so ''pre-BluRay'' it was the first low-budget studio ''film'' shot entirely on HD, in fact, on the same ''Panavised'' cameras Lucas used to shoot the last installments of the Star Wars movies.

2. It has two of the mythic icons of horror movies together in the same movie...Tippi Hedren of Hitchcock fame, and Kane Hodder, our favorite Jason of the Friday the 13th franchise...and it was still so not scary it was funny.

3. It has the ''best-worst'' CGI that looks very 1990's computer game-ish. You have to see this to ''appreciate'' this properly. Seriously.

4. It has an overly long, self-indulgent rooftop nude photo session with two gorgeous body-painted girls, one of which was the former Yellow Power Ranger. Guaranteed ''stiffie'' for the frat and fanboys out there. It just doesn't get better-worse than this.

5. All the actors put out...took it seriously and as such, the laughs come even harder.

6. It has a lot of blood, provided by one of the most experienced gore artists in Hollywood.

7. The DVD extras: Folks, it just doesn't get better-worse than this. The writer and director spew on endlessly about this movie as if it were up for an Oscar. It's like Beavis and Butthead made a movie. Again, this was on purpose but nobody got the joke apparently.

This hilariously silly film shot the Moon trying to achieve cult status and got soooooo close.

I double-dog-dare anyone to sit through this one with a straight face.

Last edited by summerstormpictures : 10-28-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Can't spell worth a damn
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM
muddi900

First of all, Cloverfield is not a JJ Abrams movie and second of all, its not so bad "its good", its so bad that I wanted to gouge my eyeballs. Its a silly attempt at redefining the monster movie, by focusing more more on characters. But the characters are right out of Dawson's Creek or One Tree Hill. Hell the whole motivation behind the plot is so "high school". I agree with Roger about the ending, they seriously got what they deserved.

If you do want to watch a movie that actually succeeds at what Cloverfield attempted, try The Host, from Korea. I don't know if its out on BluRay, but its the best monster movie I've seen.

The most laughably bad horror movie has to Hawa, from Bollywood.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 AM
tson

I agree with davmoo, we need your opinions on budget theaters for those out there that just can't afford the sweet stuff. I'm the father of a four year old and just don't have the cash to drop on the nice stuff.

Was happy to see you mention a couple of receivers I'd had my eye on. I'd originally, going back four years, was looking at the Denon's, but when the Pioneer 1015 and Onkyo 605 came out I had to take notice. I thought I'd decided on the Onkyo after hearing that the Farouda video processors were superior, but with the recent 607 the value added features have priced it out of my market. I've been humming and hawing over these amps for a while, just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Between the Denon 1910, Pioneer 1019 (650 street cdn) and Onkyo 607 (730 street cdn) I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on two aspects ... one, video up scaling, in your opinion does one do it better? Or are they all pretty much indistinguishable? Two, remotes.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 AM
mrbook

To Robert Chang: Those AREN'T aliens in AI. Since it's release, I've been correcting people on this issue. I've noticed that most of the people who hate that movie, think that there are aliens in it. Just an example, IMO, of how that movie is misunderstood and underrated.