Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > AnimeTV

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 AM
animetvroy
Otaku United

Default AnimeTv is Back!

Hey this is Roy Pitts, and we are all glad to be a part of Revision 3. I look forward to seeing your feedback

Last edited by animetvroy : 01-08-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Mispost
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM
animetvroy
Otaku United

Default AnimeTV!

Hey guys, you are covering some good points. Honestly the Hima segment was what most of us watch in our free time, whether or not it was new was up to our discretion. I completely understand the Dub vs. Sub war, it will rage with the fire of a thousand burning suns so I won't try to quell that argument now or ever.

As for the future, if you feel like we haven't been covering new title releases or that we missed anything, you can PM me and not only will I look it over on my blog, but I will even put them into future episodes.

We appreciate your feedback, and I always look to what ya'll have to say. AnimeTv is back, let us make it the best season ever.

Like always,

Keep Watching.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
marsmj

When I first heard that this show was coming to rev3 I was excited. I have recently started getting into anime and had no podcasts to help me find what was out there. I decided to check out the older shows to see what it was about and instantly fell in love.

That being said I was surprised by the change in format. I didn't realize until today that the show's been on hiatus for about a year, so it makes sense. It'll just take some getting used to. Probably won't take long since I like all the reviewers and Johnny.

Great show, though. I can't wait for next week!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 AM
fath0m

Default a "meh" start with room to grow

I was really looking forward to an anime show on Rev3 ever since it was mentioned on TRS. However, this first episode was a "meh" for me.

My biggest complaint has got to be the amount of silly/negative nerdy-ness I found was pervasive for the first half or 2/3 of the show. It felt like you were trying to play to what you THINK anime nerds are like. To use another show as an example of how to do things correctly, look at the totally rad show I mentioned earlier. The subject matter deals with nerdy things but in a cool, more down to earth "geek chic" way. Even though TRS dealt with things like Avatar the last airbender ( a very kiddy show in some respects) it talked to its audience in an adult way about the show.

I sort of cringed everytime there was a quick camera cut to a very phony body gesture at the roundtable segment. I was waiting for the girls to start saying KAWAIII DESSSUUUU and SUGOIIIII SUGOIII and posing , giving the peace sign and pulling eyelids down and tongues out.

What I hope you guys do in the future is tone down what i call antics. The silly shit you do that you hope is a quick laugh. The truth is we came for the anime so I think if you do more like your second half of the show with a serious round table alot more people won't be scared off by the "uncool nerdiness" people perceive from anime.

Also, please for the love of all that is good and credible in Anime, use the subtitled version of anime.

Remember that anime is not all shonen (8-18yrs old). Seinen series exist as well and has female equivalents. Therefore, there is no need to talk down to your audience or add some EXTRA nerd in there to fit in.Not everyone cosplays to conventions or joins the anime club. There are many, many of us that don't discuss anime in public just because of the stereotypes.

*EDIT*- I forgot to put what I liked about the show.
- I thought the production value was high
-Roundtable hosts seemed diverse/credible/knowledgeable
-Reviews seemed well done thoughtful and on point
-Pacing seemed right on time. Conversation flowed pretty well.

I actively disliked the trip to Bang Zoom, not because of the content. I thought the idea was great. I walked out of the room however at the constant sillyness and camera work.

Overall, I know this sounds like a giant rant but its only because I really hunger for a non nerdy anime review show. I think you guys could pull it off and I am really hopeful. I will definitely watch the next show, but will I recommend it to my friends...not just yet.

P.S. - While I do love Naruto Ship. (especially the last few with teh sasuke Itachi Akatsuki arc) and Bleach; it would be nice to see you guys venture into the lesser known anime.

My suggestions for reviews in the future Black Lagoon, Gantz, Elfen lied, Tengan Toppa Guerran Lagann, Hellsing , Ninja scroll, Gundam Seed destiny. All good anime and not a chore to watch.

Last edited by fath0m : 01-08-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 AM
krishnancc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappknutts View Post
I love REV3 and I love anime, so I figured this was a no-brainer! So far... I am really disappointed. I guess I am a "purist" I want my anime subbed not dubbed! And apparently thats what the do here, dubbed. I hope in the future they will cover some of both!

And to the guy from the dubbing group: the internet, fan subs, and "illegal" downloads have done more to promote anime around the world than any dubbing group! Anime producers have started to realize this! They are starting to embrace the internet, providing streams, subbed, instantly for a minute fee, or on a week delay for free! Genius! DB, the best fansubbers for Naruto even acknowledged this, and stopped subbing Naruto, stating that their motive was never to hurt the company, and since they were going to provide a viable alternative, a fansub was no longer needed.

my two cents
I agree with you I can't watch dubbed anime it messes up the whole series. So I really wanted to like this show since I have recently got into watching anime ... but this show kinda reinforced the reasons I never got into it before. That being the western obsession and views of it like the one girl who was talking about naruto in this episode ... it totally made me want to shut it off. I feel like at least in this episode they talk about stuff that you could watch on cartoon networks adult swim and not what is actually happening in japan right now it. I will watch next week and see if things change.

Last edited by krishnancc : 01-08-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

If this was hard core fandub or no dub obscure anime, I think you'd have more people turn away from the show (after just 1 episode).

Let people get familiar with the show using easily accessible anime, then go for the more obscure, the old school, or the he..... nevermind.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 AM
animetvroy
Otaku United

Quote:
Originally Posted by fath0m View Post
I was really looking forward to an anime show on Rev3 ever since it was mentioned on TRS. However, this first episode was a "meh" for me.

My biggest complaint has got to be the amount of silly/negative nerdy-ness I found was pervasive for the first half or 2/3 of the show. It felt like you were trying to play to what you THINK anime nerds are like. To use another show as an example of how to do things correctly, look at the totally rad show I mentioned earlier. The subject matter deals with nerdy things but in a cool, more down to earth "geek chic" way. Even though TRS dealt with things like Avatar the last airbender ( a very kiddy show in some respects) it talked to its audience in an adult way about the show.

I sort of cringed everytime there was a quick camera cut to a very phony body gesture at the roundtable segment. I was waiting for the girls to start saying KAWAIII DESSSUUUU and SUGOIIIII SUGOIII and posing , giving the peace sign and pulling eyelids down and tongues out.

What I hope you guys do in the future is tone down what i call antics. The silly shit you do that you hope is a quick laugh. The truth is we came for the anime so I think if you do more like your second half of the show with a serious round table alot more people won't be scared off by the "uncool nerdiness" people perceive from anime.

Also, please for the love of all that is good and credible in Anime, use the subtitled version of anime.

Remember that anime is not all shonen (8-18yrs old). Seinen series exist as well and has female equivalents. Therefore, there is no need to talk down to your audience or add some EXTRA nerd in there to fit in.Not everyone cosplays to conventions or joins the anime club. There are many, many of us that don't discuss anime in public just because of the stereotypes.

*EDIT*- I forgot to put what I liked about the show.
- I thought the production value was high
-Roundtable hosts seemed diverse/credible/knowledgeable
-Reviews seemed well done thoughtful and on point
-Pacing seemed right on time. Conversation flowed pretty well.

I actively disliked the trip to Bang Zoom, not because of the content. I thought the idea was great. I walked out of the room however at the constant sillyness and camera work.

Overall, I know this sounds like a giant rant but its only because I really hunger for a non nerdy anime review show. I think you guys could pull it off and I am really hopeful. I will definitely watch the next show, but will I recommend it to my friends...not just yet.

P.S. - While I do love Naruto Ship. (especially the last few with teh sasuke Itachi Akatsuki arc) and Bleach; it would be nice to see you guys venture into the lesser known anime.

My suggestions for reviews in the future Black Lagoon, Gantz, Elfen lied, Tengan Toppa Guerran Lagann, Hellsing , Ninja scroll, Gundam Seed destiny. All good anime and not a chore to watch.

You are a no nonesense type of Anime fan. Turthfully a good and honest opinion all around. I much enjoyed your picks of Anime to review ( I love mecha, and while I cannot support Gundam Seed Destiny; Gurren is at my heart in all of my thoughts when it comes to the next stage in the Giant-Robo genre) We represent a wide range of Fandom, I can say at the core of myself as an American Otaku (There is a difference and I explore that more in my blog) that we want to put on a good show that is accessible to all levels.

Either way, Anime Los Angeles is coming tomorrow and I can never say no to a Convention, it is hardwired into my system. I hope you enjoy next weeks episode.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 AM
patrickd

I have to say that I agree with what fath0m wrote above. Cut down on what appears as a desperate attempt to appeal to anime fans with the wackiness and focus on content. That's what I was thinking as I watched, but then I came to the forums and discovered that fath0m posted EXACTLY what I was thinking. (...although I do like some dubs and welcome talk about both sub AND dub.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animetvroy View Post
Either way, Anime Los Angeles is coming tomorrow and I can never say no to a Convention, it is hardwired into my system. I hope you enjoy next weeks episode.
Woo for Anime Cons! (My personal area of expertise. See sig.)

I'm glad to see Johnny and Cristina hosting. I've actually hosted THEM in an improv event at two different anime cons. (Johnny was back at Anime Boston 2005 and Cristina was just last summer at ConnectiCon.)
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 AM
applesandpb

Good to see you guys are finally back.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 AM
guytheninja
Elite Member

This show needs a little refinement, but overall I am pleased with it. I liked the hosts; I just kinda wished that they had more of a sense of humor.

I definitely agreed with the two guys to the right (Miley and Roy) about Naruto. Naruto is 1/10th awesome and 9/10ths snorefest. Why can't they make that anime more action packed? Naruto is disappointing to me; I can't believe he is either the strongest ninja or one of them, and yet, he is still a Genin. Naruto is just bizarre.