Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > AppJudgment

Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
jackierulesall
Miss Webmaster

Default Episode 75: The Apple iPad [Discussion]

Our first episode of AppJudgment daily! Apple announces their new tablet, the iPad. Can it possibly live up to the hype? Get the AppJudgment preview here.

Watch or download now!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
rottnkorpse

the iPad looks pointless...disappointing and dare I say stupid.

What is the iPad?
Comically large iPhone, seriously that is the gist of it. It does EVERYTHING the iPhone does as well as EVERYTHING the iPhone doesn't with the exception of ALSO not having a camera.

iPhone has quick responses, very snappy. So does the iPad.
iPhone has lots of apps in the App Store, the iPad runs them as well.
iPad is built on the iPhone OS.
iPhone doesn't have Flash support, nor does the iPad.
iPhone doesn't support multi-tasking, nor does the iPad.
iPad doesn't have a Camera of any kind, a step back in my opinion.
iPad has a large screen of almost 10 inches running at 1024 x 768.

So essentially the iPad is a large iPhone with ALL of the downsides of the iPhone and no improvements other than a larger screen. It also has an additional downside of no camera.

The iPad is basically nothing new except a larger screen.

It is actually quite sad that people will be buying simply for their blind love of Apple. I honestly don't get why people love Apple so much...sure OSX is great, the iPhone is great and the iPod was revolutionary but does that merit people's blind fanboy-ism that has people willing to paying almost $1000 for something that is larger yet inferior to one of their own products?

I love the iPhone...great device but seriously the iPad is a step sideways with one foot backwards. Oh and of course the name of it is just awful.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 PM
dark_shroud

There are a number of tablets that will kick this things ass in terms of performance. Any of the tablets using the Tegra 2 chip will be more useful.

This things is a giant iPod Touch. I can't watch Netflix or Hulu on it. I'm probably not going to be able to run the free online version of Word. This thing is pretty useless. Why carry this giant thing around in a bag when you can carry a full laptop or netbook?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
godofbiscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Shroud View Post
There are a number of tablets that will kick this things ass in terms of performance. Any of the tablets using the Tegra 2 chip will be more useful.

This things is a giant iPod Touch. I can't watch Netflix or Hulu on it. I'm probably not going to be able to run the free online version of Word. This thing is pretty useless. Why carry this giant thing around in a bag when you can carry a full laptop or netbook?
So you've actually used an iPad already? Wow!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
godofbiscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottNKorpse View Post
the iPad looks pointless...disappointing and dare I say stupid.

What is the iPad?
Comically large iPhone, seriously that is the gist of it. It does EVERYTHING the iPhone does as well as EVERYTHING the iPhone doesn't with the exception of ALSO not having a camera.

So essentially the iPad is a large iPhone with ALL of the downsides of the iPhone and no improvements other than a larger screen. It also has an additional downside of no camera.

The iPad is basically nothing new except a larger screen.

I love the iPhone...great device but seriously the iPad is a step sideways with one foot backwards. Oh and of course the name of it is just awful.

So you actually used an iPad already? Wow, cool!

No? Did you watch the video of the event? Did you see the iWork applications? The Photos app?

Did you download the new beta SDK and take a look at the new APIs to see what's possible on the iPad that's not possible on the iPhone or iPod touch? Because, you know, there *are* APIs that cannot be called when running on iPhone or iPod touch.

I get it. You're bored. You're jaded. Nothing new under the sun.

But I don't know a single iPhone developer--myself included--who's not totally psyched and ready to write.....well, EVERYTHING.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM
godofbiscuits

Patrick Norton misquoted Steve Jobs in this piece. Jobs didn't claim that Apple was the biggest PHONE manufacturer in the world, Jobs said that, if you include iPods, iPhones and laptops, Apple was the largest MOBILE DEVICE company in the world.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 AM
dark_shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofbiscuits View Post
I don't need to use it when it can't multitask or run flash let alone HD video. Needing to use an "app" to visit certain websites to be able to properly view/navigate on a device this size is complete BS.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 PM
dkyang

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofbiscuits View Post
Come on now, you don't need to use the device if every article about this iPad state similar pros and cons about it. It's quite obvious that it can't play Hulu and do other stuff that people were expecting it to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 PM
ferocioussimplicity

Where is the fair and balanced view I expect from Revision 3.

They showed the positive side of the iPad yes, there are plenty of things that great about it but they don't mention the lack of flash, USB port or any ports of that matter, camera, card reader, expansion slots, not wide screen, a resolution of 1024x768, low storage capacity, the price.

I'm not an apple hater I love my iPod and plan on getting an iPhone one day but this thing is stupid.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 AM
blazeeagle

Default Nice gadget but not Heaven sent ...

iPad is quite nice but about $200 too expensive. Tech gadgets are so prevalent nowadays that thereís not much excuse to prevent tech gadget prices from being more reasonable.

I wish people would stop treating Apple like it was a company founded by Jesus. The way they acted in the official iPad intro vid was utterly disgusting!

Itís completely fine to show excitement over a product, but sheesh!, They acted like they where in holy rapture.

I often wonder if some arenít getting an under the table kickback for being so positive over Apple products.

Apple was just the first company who used itís clout & resources to make a more powerful Kindle.

iPad is essentially just a netbook reimagined in a slimmer, handier form factor.