Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Apple / OS X

Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 AM
gump

Talking Magic Vs. Bird

I used to love a pretty face, but know it's about whats under the hood.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
computoman

I think the original mac had a Motorola 68k up to at least the 68030, I think the newest of those I had was a 68020. It has been so long ago since I had one of those or worked on one.

Last edited by computoman : 06-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar

Macbook Air Pro? Yeah. Sure. And I'm writing this from my iPhone 5GS.

When I was a kid, I used both PCs and old Macintosh computers without even realizing there was really a difference. As far as I saw it, the keyboards were just a little different, like different TV controls. The one we had at home in 1986, pretty early for home computers, was an old IBM with that neon green lettering. How impressed I was when there were four colors on some computers....

In high school, I started exclusively using PCs. A few years ago I wanted to change to a MacbookPro, but always there was something more pressing to spend the money on. Then intimidation with a new OX.

After my Dell died (damned Dell, paid too much for it to only last 13 months), I had the choice to use the desktop PC or the MacbookPro laptop. So Cody put a Windows partition on the MBP for me. Then we got a new MBP a couple months ago, and at that time I decide screw the world, no Windows, and have been using OSX since then. I still haven't figured out everything, but am getting there.

My website is done with a program only supported on PC, so I do have to access the Windows side of the other MBP sometimes. But otherwise...OSX. Runs so much better and smoother than anything Windows.
Girl and Boy get married December 2010!!

~*~
My website: Aria Couture
Fan me on Facebook: Aria Couture on Facebook
Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM
gta_bmx

I was out in CA visiting some relatives. My brother is still stubbornly using an original iMac (233 mhz) that he bought 5 years ago on CL. It's slow as molasses and crashes a lot, and he doesn't have the system discs to reload the OS. It's bordering on the level of insanity. Sure he's not a technophile of any sorts, but, sheesh, time to move on to the 21st Century. I found a small form factor Dell 2.4 gigahertz PC on CL for like $30 about 2 miles away, but he refused it. I even found him a newer eMac, but no dice.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 AM
vahnx

Send a message via MSN to vahnx Send a message via Skype™ to vahnx

I never used a mac until they had them at college. Only used Garageband on them a couple times and did basic surfing. The mouse was awful, the keyboard was OK. The all in 1 design, I'm not a fan of.

But I've been using hackintosh machines for 2 years+. I rarely use OSX on my desktop but I use it on my netbook lots.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM
computoman

I just gave all my ppc mac stuff to my brother who still has a g4. One less os to deal with.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 AM
revision3fan

Helping someone use the Macintosh Classic II when it first came out around 1992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
I think the original mac had a Motorola 68k up to at least the 68030, I think the newest of those I had was a 68020. It has been so long ago since I had one of those or worked on one.
Motorola 68000 was used on the original Macintosh and the Macintosh Classic from 1990. Motorola 68030 was used on the SE/30 and the Classic II.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
josefhu15

Red face

my first Mac was actually my Macbook pro late 2011 :] i love my laptop i do everything on it.. and a month later i bought a iMac G5 powerpc because i just loved that iMac when i first saw it and i actually use it occasionally.

i wasn't as privileged as most of you to have used an Apple II. but in elementary i did get to use a eMac
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 AM
spooie

The first Apple computer I used was an Apple IIe, I believe, in elementary school during the late 80s. The first software I can remember on it was a game called "Dragon's Keep," where you had to find animals hidden around a house and a dragon would slowly stalk you.

In the middle school grades we had another Apple computer that I would use during Study Hall. I often played this one Business and Marketing game where you had to sell lemonade and sandwiches as a vendor while competing with rival vendors. Depending on the weather forecast, overstock, supply and demand, rival sales and shifting prices, you would have to offer people different prices to compete each day, and at the end of the week it would tally the one who made out best.

After that, it wasn't until around '97 when my uncle moved to Nevada and gave me an old Black and White Mac Laptop with a whopping 200mb hard drive and (I think) 4MB of memory. Everyone else in my family used a PC and none of them ever wanted to show me how to do anything (they were all using DOS and didn't know how to input information themselves half the time). So he gave me his laptop and told me to mess around and I got used to it.

After that, I bought one of the first 500 of the original 400MHz model PowerMac G4 computers. Used that with 64MB or ram until around 2004 when I upgraded from 8.6 to 10.3 and upped the computer to 1 solid GB of memory. Then in October 2006 I bought a 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (the second wave model as I recall). Sadly, the graphics/motherboard started dying on me after about 3 years. I held out with the issues for around 2 years and then ended up snagging a 21.5" upgraded-to-Intel Core i7 iMac in July of last year.