Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > AnimeTV

Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 AM
masonman123

Talking Favourite Anime Movie?

Hey guys im here to ask what is your favourite anime movie.(including live action anime movies). Post your answers here and also if you have any questions on my thread OR on what i should post on next email me at money_mason@hotmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 AM
blacksymbiote
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to blacksymbiote

I'm trying to think of all the movies I've seen. The Cowboy Bebop movie was pretty good. Wings of the Honomise was good too. I loved the Princess Mononoke movie, both subbed and dubbed. In fact I'm in shock as to how they managed to keep the dub script so close to the real translation, and yet sync the english voices to the mouths... crazy. But I think my favorite, even after those, has to go to Spirited Away. That movie blew me away!

Xbox360 GamerTag = Mr Plan
PSN ID = BlackSymbiote_
Twitter : twitter.com/blacksymbiote

I watch a movie everyday & blog about it! http://www.2guys1movie.com
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 AM
masonman123

Talking cool

yeah agree with u. spirited away is the best but i also like Howle's moving castle
Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 AM
guytheninja
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonman123 View Post
yeah agree with u. spirited away is the best but i also like Howle's moving castle
I choose all the Hayao Miyazaki movies. I frankly like them all.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
blacksymbiote
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytheninja View Post
I choose all the Hayao Miyazaki movies. I frankly like them all.
I don't think you can go wrong there.

PSN ID = BlackSymbiote_

Old 02-17-2010, 05:36 AM
masonman123

Talking Yaaaaaaa

Hey guys i made a new anime series called Itara Hoshigo. its about a boy named Itara who finds a rock that is a triangle. It turns out it brings death to anyone that has held it in their possetion longer than 2 days. i want Anime TV to watch and review my anime series can anyone help me with that!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
jiggity

Howl's Moving Castle is my favourite film of all time, not just anime's. It's amazing - both in animation and story but on an academic note, there are hundreds of cool little reflections/references to classic literature, archetypal stories and characters. Truly stunning film.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 PM
carlrules097

Karas: The prophecy and Karas: The Revelation, the first movie, The Prophecy was actually made to be Tatsunoko's 40th anniversary production and is alot more polished then the second one but the second movie, The revelation explains everything and has one of the most amazing fight scenes in anime ever in my opinion, but it isnt as polished
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
sloppybunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksymbiote View Post
In fact I'm in shock as to how they managed to keep the dub script so close to the real translation, and yet sync the english voices to the mouths... crazy.
I'm not have you not seen the DVD making of's for any Myazaki movie? Even in Japanese the dialog is recorded after the animation is finished (seems odd to me) Actually the only anime I can think of that used pre recording is Akira. And it totally shows in the animation. The animators get to work with more reference and it ads a lot to the overall performance. Anyways
since the voices are added after the animation is finished and lypsinc is not that much of an issue I would assume the dubs come off well. I never had a problem with dubs actually. Not in anime anyway.

a paragraph of ranting later :P My fave anime features are Castle of Cogliostro, Spirited away, Akira, and Tokyo Godfathers.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
blacksymbiote
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppybunny View Post
I'm not have you not seen the DVD making of's for any Myazaki movie? Even in Japanese the dialog is recorded after the animation is finished (seems odd to me) Actually the only anime I can think of that used pre recording is Akira. And it totally shows in the animation. The animators get to work with more reference and it ads a lot to the overall performance. Anyways
since the voices are added after the animation is finished and lypsinc is not that much of an issue I would assume the dubs come off well. I never had a problem with dubs actually. Not in anime anyway.

a paragraph of ranting later :P My fave anime features are Castle of Cogliostro, Spirited away, Akira, and Tokyo Godfathers.
I don't think I got my point out very clearly. I'm well aware of how anime is made, that the voices are recorded after the animation unlike American shows which draw the frames to match what's already been recorded. What I was surprised at was that they managed to make the dub in Princess Mononoke seem like the anime is actually lip-sync'd (?) to the voices. They did it so well that it doesn't just look like a mouth flapping with the english voices slapped over top. In most of the show I found that the mouth movements seemed to match the vocals almost perfectly, as if that's how it was meant to be viewed. I love both the Japanese and English versions of Mononoke. I hope I explained myself better.

Interesting side note about animation and mouths and anime: the standard in Japan for frames of animation when drawing a talking mouth is only 2-3 frames. That is from fully closed to fully open. The standard frames of animation for American animation is something like 6-10. I think Disney's is even higher. The mouth just sort of flaps open and closed in Japanese animation, and this is so that the voice actors can do their lines with no worries of fitting to the animation. An inherent problem when recording the voices afterwards. (You already touched on this so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about anyways)

At any rate, I read an interview of one of the animators of the Thundercats show a while ago. Even though the cartoon was American made and written, they wanted that anime look and hired all Japanese animators straight out of Japan. You can see the distinct anime traits in the intro, particularly in the red energy that streaks through the sky at the start. So this animator was going on and on about how time consuming drawing the mouths in that show were, because they were all used to drawing just 2-3 frames, and the American producers wanted 3-4 times more frames of mouth movement! Haha, if I recall correctly he likened it to torture!

So this all leads us to an interesting question, if all the animators on Thundercats were Japanese, does that make it anime???? EDIT: (This goes back to my comments in the episode 6 thread (post #29) for those picky people who have a strict line on what is/isn't anime)

PSN ID = BlackSymbiote_

Last edited by blacksymbiote : 02-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.