Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Apple / OS X

Old 10-05-2006, 03:03 PM
jordanddunn

Send a message via AIM to jordanddunn Send a message via MSN to jordanddunn Send a message via Yahoo to jordanddunn Send a message via Skype™ to jordanddunn

Great thread, was looking for a place with all the links to all the great programs out there, so when I get my other macbook pro I don't have to search and try to remember everything. Great job!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 AM
rowlodge

Red face "poison" ,you never mentioned it...

is'nt that the best p2p? it was something kevin said one day and it works good but the latest version only works on "tiger"..i have the download for "Tiger" but not the disk i'm not dumb with apple computers i just can't understand how to insatll it. like one thing that confuses me copying it to disk utility then i go blank.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
wastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlodge View Post
is'nt that the best p2p? it was something kevin said one day and it works good but the latest version only works on "tiger"..i have the download for "Tiger" but not the disk i'm not dumb with apple computers i just can't understand how to insatll it. like one thing that confuses me copying it to disk utility then i go blank.
I tried the app long ago, it didn't turn up any results, and in turn didn't work. I know some people use it though

I think Acquisition is the best personally. I've been using it for 3 years now. I remember Kevin mentioning it (Acquisition) to Alex when he first got the MacBook Pro. It isn't a free app though.. The free version of it isn't quite as good, but its called AcqLite and worth a look if you don't mind missing a few bells and whistles and not looking as pretty.

If you have the disk image of Tiger open it with the Disk Utility. Then click the Burn button in the upper left. Insert a DVD and it'll burn it.

After the burn, stick the DVD back in and open it up. There is an icon on the disk that says Install. Double click it. Your system will reboot and boot up from the DVD. After that just follow along.....

You can also just boot up your system holding down the "C" key if you don't want to click the install icon from the disk on your desktop.

Just a note. There are 3 install options. There is a button for "advanced"(?) on one of the first install screens, I think the 2nd one, but its been a while. Click that to choose between wiping the drive clean and installing, upgrading, or Archive and Install.

With the Archive and Install it will make a backup of your 10.3 system directory and throw in a 10.4 one. Its like an upgrade with a safty net. This is nice because if something doesn't work you can easily go back. If everything works well you can just delete the 10.3 system folder. Make sure you have the room on your hdd if you are going to use this method

Last edited by wastern : 10-18-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 AM
rowlodge

Smile thanks man!...

i'll try it and see, yea acquisition was my previous p2p but heard it did'nt get all the same kazaa stuff with it, long time ago, i know it's all different now anyway. just wanna stick with what works for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
wastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlodge View Post
i'll try it and see, yea acquisition was my previous p2p but heard it did'nt get all the same kazaa stuff with it, long time ago, i know it's all different now anyway. just wanna stick with what works for me.
the kazaa network is crap now. its all corrupt

acquisition uses Gnetella...same as limewire. but with a lot of filters to block out the crap on the network
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 PM
noonebutme

Send a message via MSN to noonebutme

Use Bittorrent and Usenet. Azureus and Unison. All ya will need. On usenet, follow a.b.mac.apps and a.b.mac.osx.apps or something. search groups for 'mac' and those will be the top two. for Bittorrent, follow Demonoid, Oink, and mTKA and your set

and Aquisition's 'trialware' a la winrar or winzip - it'll never prevent you from using anything, will just have the annoying 'buy me' at the open and close of Aquisition. But yeah, Gnutella sucks - so Aquisition's something to avoid.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 AM
vulgar

Thumbs up

Hey man, thanks for this topic, I'm really new to my Mac and you were a really great help.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 AM
wastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonebutme View Post
But yeah, Gnutella sucks - so Aquisition's something to avoid.

Acq also does BT. I haven't had an issue with the P2P network though. The dev builds in a lot of filters and there are user filters to bring out the good results

However if you aren't going to pay I'd stay away. Its some of the worst nagware out there
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
matt

Hey, upgraded to a 20" iMac today.. absolutely amazing a real breath of fresh air after a decade of windows. Any way everything is working fine except Adium, consistently crashing every now and then. Every time when I'm not even looking at the window. It's not even 5 hours old, can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM
wastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Hey, upgraded to a 20" iMac today.. absolutely amazing a real breath of fresh air after a decade of windows. Any way everything is working fine except Adium, consistently crashing every now and then. Every time when I'm not even looking at the window. It's not even 5 hours old, can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
Matt
This is the kind of thing you'd want to make a new thread for (I don't know if a mod wants to break if off or not)

anyway...I haven't heard of that, but then again I'm not a big fan of adium

try deleting your plist file and reopen it, see if that helps. the plist files are where the prefs are stored for the app

The easiest way to find it is to use Spotlight (option+apple+space will bring it up). Type in 'adium'. You should see a file that looks like 'com.something.adium.plist'

take that and drag it on to your desktop. (adium should be closed for this). Then launch the app again. You'll have to go through the setup again. See if the issue is still there