Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > AnimeTV

Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
rdpillz

Default Fullmetal Alchemist: Original Vs. Brotherhood

Which do you prefer, feel free to post your thoughts in this thread
mine are below:

The original is one of my favorite anime, loved the style, the story was interesting and the characters are good. I watched the English dub and enjoyed it, i felt no need to go Japanese/subtitles whatsoever. The only thing i didn't like about it was the overuse of the small size jokes, big brother is smaller than little brother shit, and the ending was kind of retarded.

For Brotherhood, i'm only 4 episodes in and so far i'm having trouble seein why people say its better. So far the story has been similar except it feels rushed. There are parts that have been cut out completely, the part about Rose's boyfriend, Cain, being resurrected is not even mentioned. The episode about the chimera is but a shadow of its former self.
And a lot of their back story is now gone.
Overall it feels really condensed.

Of course i'm only 4 episode in, i'm expecting the story to diverge a lot latter on, but so far i'm not enjoying it as much as i did the original. So far the brotherhood feels like its tailored to a younger audience than its predecessor.

Fullmetal alchemist is one of the anime that has a good dub imo. I enjoyed the original more because of its English dub and so far i like the brotherhood less because i have to read the text.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
slagster

The reason I and most people like it more is because it follows the manga much more closely rather than completely changing the story halfway through like the "original" did. I also find it funny that you claim that brotherhood is tailored to a younger audience when its a lot more violent and has more scenes that pull at your heart strings then the "original" has. I suggest you give up watching the dubs every week on adult swim and look into the subbed episodes so you can get a better feel for the tone and direction its going in. I believe Hulu has them streaming up on their site.

Last edited by slagster : 02-28-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:34 PM
carlrules097

I love the original FMA, but there is only one thing that you need to see for Brotherhood to be better, Roy Mustang's super badass moment when he torches the shit outta Lust
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 PM
rdpillz

like i said, i've only gotten 4 episodes into it. And in those 4 episodes its like they cut out some of the gory details of what was in the original. And in those 4 episodes their is a lot of characters makein fun of his size, too much so, Armstrong flashing off his muscles, etc, which felt dumbed down to me. I haven't gotten to see much i would consider to be more violent or of a mature tone/nature yet. But if that's what is in store then good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagster View Post
I suggest you give up watching the dubs every week on adult swim and look into the subbed episodes so you can get a better feel for the tone and direction its going in. I believe Hulu has them streaming up on their site.
i have been watching the sub version, i didn't even know there was an English dub of brotherhood. The English dub of the original had a more mature tone than the Japanese sub version of brotherhood. At least in the first 4 episodes.
Sure their are bad dubs, but for the original FMA, i doubt watching it in English or Japanese would of made any difference in my interpretation of the story.

@carlrules097, Nice lol

Last edited by rdpillz : 02-28-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
carlrules097

The dub of Brotherhood started on adult swim, if it hasnt it starts this weekend
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
diztrukted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpillz View Post
like i said, i've only gotten 4 episodes into it. And in those 4 episodes its like they cut out some of the gory details of what was in the original. And in those 4 episodes their is a lot of characters makein fun of his size, too much so, Armstrong flashing off his muscles, etc, which felt dumbed down to me. I haven't gotten to see much i would consider to be more violent or of a mature tone/nature yet. But if that's what is in store then good to know.

i have been watching the sub version, i didn't even know there was an English dub of brotherhood. The English dub of the original had a more mature tone than the Japanese sub version of brotherhood. At least in the first 4 episodes.
Sure their are bad dubs, but for the original FMA, i doubt watching it in English or Japanese would of made any difference in my interpretation of the story.

@carlrules097, Nice lol

having not followed the manga and only watching the original version, is it worth watching brotherhood?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
animetvroy
Otaku United

You want a different take on the story, watch the original, if you want to see your manga realized, watch Brotherhood.

Two brothers changed by destiny,
A country in tatters,
Your Car is insured,
Your Family is safe,

That's AllStates stand.

Are you in good hands?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
rdpillz

Not everyone reads the manga.
I think its a good question, which is better.
For people who read the manga, do they not like the original FMA anime?
How bout for people who liked the original FMA anime and don't read manga, do they now prefer brotherhood?

Last edited by rdpillz : 02-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
slagster

I think most anime fans will agree that it is always better when the anime follows the manga its based upon. Myself I enjoy both but brotherhood way more. I would also think most fans that don't read the manga but enjoyed the series first airings would enjoy brotherhood more as well because it gives back story and heart to the supporting cast of characters that you really didn't get from the first show.

Last edited by slagster : 02-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
blacksymbiote
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to blacksymbiote

I know for a fact that there are plenty of people who have read the manga, and then prefered the "original" anime by far. There is definitely a split between fans of which story was better. But at least the fans of the manga story will now get their version.

Xbox360 GamerTag = Mr Plan
PSN ID = BlackSymbiote_
Twitter : twitter.com/blacksymbiote

I watch a movie everyday & blog about it! http://www.2guys1movie.com