Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HAK5

Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
jackierulesall
Miss Webmaster

Default Episode 703: Free Application Sandbox Challenge and Top "Ultra" Warez [Discussion]

Back from Britain and bouncing off the walls Darren pits three ancient Internet Explorers against each other to see which free application sandbox can save you from yourself. Shannon joins us from Missouri for her take on the top "ultra" Windows software, and Paul... Well, Paul's tearing down the set.

Watch or download now!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
magnetic

Default Take some Vitamin C

Darren,

You need to keep pumping the Vitamin C to get rid of that cold. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Tom K.
http://www.eyeassociatesinfo.com
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
ghelyar

It was quite nice to hear about the trip, since I couldn't make it to the London meetup (because of the missed connection etc).

I found the 50km/h in the fast lane a bit hard to believe though, since we don't use kilometers at all here (so your bike speedo would have been in miles per hour, and there's no maths involved in working out what it should be), the speed limit is 70 MILES per hour and everyone goes around 80 to 90 mph. 50km/h is about 30mph and you would never be able to even get across 3 lanes of traffic into the fast lane if you were going that slowly. You would just get run down. You probably wouldn't even make it off the slip road without being hit by a truck. It's also easy to tell which lane is the fast lane, since its the one in the middle of the road (if you include traffic on the other side) just as it always is. I've driven to Europe a few times and, granted, I did total a car in Romania recently, I have never been confused about which lane was the fast lane.

A tall tale perhaps but a little bit... wrong.

Last edited by ghelyar : 03-04-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
naisanza

If you delete the sandbox for sandboxie it removes the addon you installed. ALSO you can (in the settings) explicitly deny access to file systems.

Sandboxie gives you more control of what you want to do than comodo. Just because sandboxie lets you install spyware/adware/addons does not make it bad.

I would give your review on sandboxie a 1/10 mainly because:

1. You've never used sandboxie before so you don't know how to use it, which is why you gave sandboxie a bad score.
2. you chose to recover the files downloaded rather than leaving it inside the sandbox (if i'm wrong about this, im sorry, i couldnt stand to watch it again to double check).
3. the security tool was running inside the sandbox. by removing the sandbox you also remove anything that was installed in it or leaked into it (spyware, adware, malware)

Hak5 does some pretty neat things I must say (like the trick with getting free internet in airports), but this review on sandboxie just made me disgusted by the lack of competency showed towards using this program.

By using sandboxie, [#] you know exactly whats going on [#].

Overall, this was a horribly unthorough review on sandboxed environments, mainly on sandboxie.

For anyone who uses sandboxie daily you will feel the same, because you know how to use it and you know just because you installed an addon to get past what's in your way does not mean your system is now infected; you throw out the sandbox and get on with your day.

gl hf dd
Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 PM
gjgrogan

Exclamation UltraDefrag trashed my hard drive - look out!

Based on your recommendation I went ahead and tried using http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/.

Big mistake.

It installed okay, so I decided to optimize my primary hard drive (drive C). That went well.
Next I started the process to defrag the drive. The drive started to churn like I have never heard it sound before. I let that continue for about 2 minutes, and then decided I had better hit the cancel button (one of the valid options displayed). It canceled normally.

I then proceeded to use this PC normally for about another hour. I then shut it down for the night. The next morning it would not boot. Drive was recognized, but the boot record seems to be missing.

Next steps:
Proceed with process of fixing the master boot record, with my fingers crossed.

My advise -- stick with Microsoft defrag -- it's tried and true and never fails like this. Ultradefrag is awful and should not be used -- ever.

Update:
My new theory is that running Ultradefrag was simply the last straw that killed my primary drive. The drive head must have rattled itself to death during the defrag. I no longer think there was a boot record issue from this program.

Last edited by gjgrogan : 03-07-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
ghelyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjgrogan View Post
My advise -- stick with Microsoft defrag -- it's tried and true and never fails like this. Ultradefrag is awful and should not be used -- ever.
Just remember that the Vista/7 defrag is leaps and bounds better than the XP one. If you're using the XP one, this one may be better. However, try having a look at PerfectDisk or Diskeeper. I can't remember which is better but my brother used both and swore by one of them before. I think they are both pretty good. I just didn't defragment at all on XP, and I let Vista handle it itself now, and I have had no performance problems at all. I don't fill up the disk though.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:05 AM
mannyoa

Default Sandboxie

I agree with naisanza. Don't choose to recover the downloads. That takes them out of the sandbox, defeating the purpose. If you close the window you it will just save it to the C:\Sandboxie\Default Box directory (or whichever sandbox profile you create). The good thing about sandboxie is, if you go looking for infection you can open the sandboxie process window (the taskbar icon) and see what's running. And as long as you see the # marks in the explorer title bar, whatever is happening is only in the sandbox. I like this better than Comodo's "I don't know what the fuck it's doing" approach with no real indication if you are really even in the sandbox at all. If you delete the sandbox contents, sandboxie will create a new sandbox based off the current settings of the application. I recommend this program to anyone I know or service who has multiple bouts with infection. Review it again with these points in mind. I'd like to see you guys really hammer it to see if anything breaks through while being used properly.

Edit: Also, another plus with sandboxie is the containment itself. If you use an application everything it creates stays in the sandbox directory. This means that after a session you can just go to that folder, securely erase it, and know that all the temp files, registry entries and traces are erased as well. Then you can erase your pagefile and possible free space and know you have pretty much removed any trace of data created by that session.

Last edited by mannyoa : 03-07-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 PM
helyyx

Default UltraDefrag?

Okay so it's problems asid it has a few features that I would call it ProDefrag, but Ultra? Please. I use the default defrag utility in Win7 myself but I find this defraging app a lot more "ultra". You guys should really check out Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Now while it lacks a few of those extra features of "UltraDefrag" this app is a lot more stable, Win7 friendly, and fast...very fast. Naturally that depends a little on your system. But has features of it's own such as giving you a more full report on what your drive looks like down to the locations each file is fragmented at. The software is also very smart. While most common defrag apps (like WinXP built in defrag) constantly moves data around to get that big file into the an empty space that isn't big enough to fit in and has to move more data around, Auslogics Disk Defrag finds space that is clear first to move that file to.

While that may not be the most optimized for speed, it does keep your system clean and really what Defrag app is gonna now the best order for files anyway (unless of course it was designed to optimize Windows system files). And just a side not for optimizing your load times for steam games, use Steam's built in defrag utility cause it actually knows the best order to put the game files in.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/