Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Food Mob

Old 04-29-2010, 09:08 PM
chefniall
Head Chef

Default Using the BBQ

Guys couple of you saying that you would use the BBQ and you are totally right as the more smoke and heat that you can get in there the better! Char coal is defo the best way to do it on the BBQ
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
bkkkk

Awesome steak, I wish I'd taken pictures of a steak I made a few weeks ago. It was the most amazing steak I have ever made and that's without a skillet. I think a good tip also is for people to try to get a really nice and thick steak, I would suggest just under an inch thick. This allows for the outside to caramelize without overcooking the inside.

I usually throw my potatoes in the oven with some fresh sprigs of rosemary, sea salt and some crushed garlic with the skin still on. The secret ingredient though is to cook them in goose or duck fat instead of olive oil. AMAZING!!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 AM
vpr

Really enjoyed this episode... As a Texan, we're known for our BBQ. As I've said everywhere I've been living in China since 2006, and most of the time they eat steaks from Australia which are paper thin. I miss my thick cuts of steak, and I can't wait to get some. I too like a little bit longer cooked time. Probably 'Medium' to 'Medium - Well' for me. I prefer the center bit to be thinner and more pink than red.

I disagree with the 'charcoal' remark though - I prefer wood chips or some mesquite from my backyard, but it is harder to control the temperature.

The wedges looked amazing, I prefer some compliment flavors to spice but still looked nice.

I know that revision3 standardizes the sponsors across the shows, but I don't feel like the "normal" sponsors fit in well with this show. Hope they can change it up to make it a more natural feel.

I knew about the salt, I usually put a tiny pinch of salt in water, but something I've experienced as a young child with my Mom that always interested me was... My Mom would often cut up some fresh onions and separate them into their individual rings she'd put them in a small container filled with normal tap water and put them in the fridge. After some time there would be a thin layer of ice on the top of the water, almost like a membrane or film. We never understood why this was happening, we assumed something in onion juice froze faster or at a higher temperature than normal tap water, but it was interesting.

Last edited by vpr : 04-30-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr View Post
Really enjoyed this episode... As a Texan, we're known for our BBQ. As I've said everywhere I've been living in China since 2006, and most of the time they eat steaks from Australia which are paper thin.
Thats not how the steaks are normally shipped. Export beef from Australia is generally sent "cryovac" (sealed in a plastic bag that has had all the air sucked out) and is whole cuts. You might be getting Aussie beef, but I am guessing it is being butchered locally as thin steak because that is the more common way of preparing beef in China.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 AM
vpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
Thats not how the steaks are normally shipped. Export beef from Australia is generally sent "cryovac" (sealed in a plastic bag that has had all the air sucked out) and is whole cuts. You might be getting Aussie beef, but I am guessing it is being butchered locally as thin steak because that is the more common way of preparing beef in China.
Maybe so - this is a 'Western' restaurant and it is specifically marketed as a 'steak' but it's possible that they're butchering them to save money. I was exaggerating when I said 'paper thin' but they are really thin.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
computoman

Sounds a lot like pepper steak I have eaten. Though most cultures do not eat as much meat like we do. Probably from centuries for when meat was scarce and to have a better diet.. My doctor does not want me to eat beef or drink mi,k. Never was good at following directions.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
crystalhawk

That steak looked great and I'll try putting chili on my wedges next time I make those, that does sound tasty. Cooling tip will also come in handy

One question, did you use a bread knife for cutting the meat in that video? It looked like it had "teeth" and as far as I know you shouldn't really use those types of knives for meat (great for those bloomin tomatoes though).
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
petr

Default a minor detail

this is a great show. one minor request. can you please look into the camera when they do a close up of your face, instead of at the studio monitor, bit freaky on the receiving end. look forward to future episodes.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM
transmit-this

Default How much salt?? WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojimaru View Post

Then again, the judicious use of salt really scares me since I normally cook without it.
I have to agree with you,
Salt in the Wedges,
Salt on the Steak,
Salt in the salad.
He even used parmesan which has a salt content 4times as high as other cheeses. (certainly didn't need to add extra salt to the salad if using parmesan)

Obviously he can use as much as he likes, but I feel a mention of the benefits of using as little as possible, should be included.

Steak looked nice, I like mine medium rare too.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
b-navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojimaru View Post
O. M. G.

That steak looks mint... can the mods please tag this show as NSFW?

And I agree with Niall wholeheartedly: dumping all those fancy dandy sauces really takes away the real taste of the food. Then again, the judicious use of salt really scares me since I normally cook without it.
I mostly agree about how unnecessary sauces are for good steak, though in my case I like to deglaze the pan drippings and whatever juice leaks out during the rest, and cook down mushroom slices in that when I'm going for broke.
Now as for salt, it's vital for survival, and one of the strongest flavor enhancers out there, but as you're aware, it tends to be severely overused in pre-processed foods. If you cook more of your own food, you can use salt without fear.