Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Food Mob

Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
shevaneltaketwo

Is olive oil really worth using? I used canola oil instead with the wedges (all I had at the time), and they weren't that great. I used a fair amount of cajun and chile, but it still tasted off or something. Maybe not enough salt? I'm just wondering if I really missed out because I used that instead? Thanks!!!

By the way, my family has always cooked steaks on a low heat setting and cooked it slowly. Cooking it on a higher temperature made such a difference, and I can't wait to try it again! Great and amazing show!!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:55 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Memorial Day Weekend. Trying something different, and using AB's Porterhouse method with a couple of NY Strip Steaks I have drying in the fridge.

First time cooking with charcoal in about 15years ... and I have never used it to broil. Could be interesting. Will need to compare with Niall's perfect steak method (which is similar to what I normally do).

Last edited by tokenuser : 05-29-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
guttermanster

Default Our Potato Wedges

Hey everyone,

My wife and I gave the potato wedges a shot for a BBQ we threw with friends recently. They were a hit...check them out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8712295@N02/4652918080/
Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 PM
guttermanster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevaneltaketwo View Post
Is olive oil really worth using? I used canola oil instead with the wedges (all I had at the time), and they weren't that great. I used a fair amount of cajun and chile, but it still tasted off or something. Maybe not enough salt? I'm just wondering if I really missed out because I used that instead? Thanks!!!

By the way, my family has always cooked steaks on a low heat setting and cooked it slowly. Cooking it on a higher temperature made such a difference, and I can't wait to try it again! Great and amazing show!!
We found extra virgin olive oil gave them that rich, familiar taste.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
kjsatz

Looking forward to see how you treat the "chimney method," tokenuser. I love Good Eats, but sometimes he goes overboard with the equipment IMO (like that episode).
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
Memorial Day Weekend. Trying something different, and using AB's Porterhouse method with a couple of NY Strip Steaks I have drying in the fridge.

First time cooking with charcoal in about 15years ... and I have never used it to broil. Could be interesting. Will need to compare with Niall's perfect steak method (which is similar to what I normally do).
I'll update with pics later, but the method is a success.

1. Dry aging the beef. Wow. Concentration of flavour. Elevated a $5 cut to a $25 cut. Worth the time.
2. Chimney Smoker. Interesting idea. I needed EVERYTHING except a steel bowl. $5 for a tabletop charcoal grill @Menard's, $3.99 for lump charcoal (NOT brickettes), $13 for an oversized Weber charcoal starter @HomeDepot.

Pros - flavourful meat unlike you get off a grill (gas or charcoal). Seriously thinking of other things that this cooking method could benefit from. Its like a fire driven salamander. Wonder how a burger would turn out?
Cons - my steak was thinner, and I overcooked the meat. It was medium well, not medium rare as I prefer. Still a great steak, but a little drier. Hard to adjust time without practicing because the met is under the chimney broiling, so no poking or prodding. Ill reduce time next time 45/side underneath, 30sec/side on top - and it should be perfect.

FWIW - Served the steak with potato wedges, using salt and granulated garlic. Perfect side dish.

Last edited by tokenuser : 06-01-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 AM
robertmontgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_flamingo View Post
USA beef is corn fed instead of grass fed like in Europe. They are also herded into feed lots standing in their own excrement instead of being allowed to graze. They are pumped full of antibiotics because they aren't meant to eat corn and as a result have super high levels of bacteria as well as developing nasty ulcers because of high acidity levels in their stomachs - which if they weren't slaughtered as quickly as possible they would die from. They are also much fattier than grass fed cattle. Look at the documentaries King Corn and Food, Inc. for more on this. I wouldn't eat USA beef rare.

You just have to get it from a reputable source. Personally I won't eat beef from a supermarket, ever. It is the lowest quality you can get and it tastes OFF. Not to mention they waste a billion dollars worth of beef each year in those displays.

I only buy and eat grass fed beef which I would feel comfortable eating rare.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 PM
mobyman

Default help!!

Hello!!

I really am looking forward to the wedges,my problem is that I don't have the big oven,I have microwave oven though,is it possible to make those wedges?If so,then can you just tell me settings and baking time.

Thank you.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyman View Post
Hello!!

I really am looking forward to the wedges,my problem is that I don't have the big oven,I have microwave oven though,is it possible to make those wedges?If so,then can you just tell me settings and baking time.

Thank you.
Microwave ovens operate on an entirely different cooking principle. They do a fine baked potato (skin on), but can't be used to get the crispy exterior that convection ovens will give. If you try it in the microwave, the spuds will be cooked, but anemic and mushy/crumbly instead of brown and crispy.

Not recommended.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:35 PM
ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyman View Post
Hello!!

Thank you.

Do you have a stove top? If so, bring a pot of water to a rapid boil and then cook the wedges for 2-3 minutes. Drain thoroughly then fry them in a frying pan on medium high heat with a generous amount of olive oil. Flip when brown on the botton. Season immediately after they have finished cooking.

Last edited by ronaldo : 06-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.