Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Food Mob

Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 AM
pimpthatfood

Default Why Salt chills out your beer faster?

This is why Salt reaction to the ice & water proceeds...

Adding salt disrupts the equilibrium.
The salt molecules dissolve in the water, but do not attach easily to the solid ice. There are fewer water molecules in the liquid because the some of the water has been replaced by salt. This means that the number of water molecules able to be captured by the ice (frozen) goes down, so the rate of freezing goes down.
The rate of melting of the ice is unchanged by the presence of the salt, so melting is now occurring faster than freezing. So the ice eventually melts.

PimpThatFood
Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 AM
goosetheforce

I'll try to dumb it down a bit.

Melting ice requires heat energy. When we add salt, we're causing ice to melt faster than normal. The heat required to do that comes out of the beer bottles! (Also the air in the room, but mostly the beer.)

But why does salt cause melting to happen faster? Because salt ions surrounding an ice cube act like a security detail, nudging away H20 molecules that want to latch on to the cube and become solid. But an H20 molecule can still escape from the ice any time it wants.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
masherscf
Big Daddy Mod

A couple of things.

Salt depresses the freezing point of water. The science behind it is interesting, but the effect is real. This is the reason we salt ice when making ice cream. The temperature of and ice and water bath equalizes at the freezing point, so the salty water ice bath is actually colder than the ice bath without salt.

Since the rate at which a warm beer gives up heat is proportional to the difference in temperature between the beer and the water bath. Hence, the salty bath cools the beer more quickly.

Here's what you don't know. Changing a beers temperature quickly causes stress that may cause the beer to skunk. Everyone knows not to let cold beer warm-up too quickly because the beer will go bad. However, the reverse is also true. Chilling beer too quickly will also cause it to go bad. Fortunately, ice-cold beer deadens your taste buds and you can't taste it.

Nevertheless, even lager beer is at it's best between 40-45 degrees. Chilling down to 32-degrees and even lower in the case of the salty bath is going to reduce your possible beer enjoyment. What's the point in drinking a brew if you can't taste it.

My advice, skip the gimmicky beer chilling experiments and just think ahead.

Tali: I have a shotgun, you know.

- Dialogue from Mass Effect 2

Last edited by masherscf : 05-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
chefniall
Head Chef

Default Beer going bad

Wow masherscf I never knew that beer could go bad in that way! It does make sense though because like you say everything tastes good when it is cold enough! Thats the main reason why poor qulaity white wine is often served so chilled in restaurants! Agree that being prepared and getting the beer in the fridge early is probably the best bet!

Cheers for sharing your explanations here though guys

NIall
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
masherscf
Big Daddy Mod

It's actually less of an issue with modern American major brews and regional specialty brews. These beers are rock stable and can be mistreated pretty badly before they go off. Think of it, you can have a Budweiser anywhere in the world any number of months from the production date and it will taste the same. They can be thrown in the trunk and put on ice without much thought to marring the taste. On the other hand, people often report that imported beers taste better in their country of origin. This is probably true because everything tastes better when your traveling. However, imported beers are often mishandled in shipping. Nevertheless, craft beers and home brews need to be kept in a stable temperature range. Especially, if they are unfiltered. Ever had a beer that tastes like bandaids? I have, it's not fun.

Last edited by masherscf : 05-03-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
computoman

Anyway, the trick works great with soda water and other non alcoholic beverages too....
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
masherscf
Big Daddy Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
Anyway, the trick works great with soda water and other non alcoholic beverages too....

The killer app for salted ice was originally...and still is.. Ice Cream

Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 AM
computoman

Living in Texas you do not go without making homemade ice cream at least a time for two. I think we have some planned for this weekend.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 AM
scoobydiesel
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to scoobydiesel Send a message via MSN to scoobydiesel Send a message via Yahoo to scoobydiesel Send a message via Skype™ to scoobydiesel

This thread made me want to make ice cream lol, But i was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up or not.

Cool to know, Had no idea about beer going bad tho.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM
chefniall
Head Chef

Default Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydiesel View Post
This thread made me want to make ice cream lol, But i was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up or not.

Cool to know, Had no idea about beer going bad tho.
I think making ice cream would be a cool thing to do in the show and have written it down for future reference. The one issue is that you would need an ice cream machine at home which I am guessing 99% of people are not going to have!