Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

Default Episode 138: Which Hard Drives Fail The Least? Sleek Cell Phone Booster, Hard Drive Recovery Tools, Adobe Reader Alternatives, Space Pictures! [Discussion]

Can a Power Supply Kill Your GPU? Gizmodo Editor Gets Searched, MyHardDriveDied.com's Scott Moulton talks hard drive recovery tools. Gorgeous Space Pictures and a Free Video Editing tool!

Watch or download this episode here

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
secretmethod70

Not a big deal, but I just have to point out: it's pronounced "avi demux"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=demux
Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Epic saga? I thought we just wanted to smack the crap out of each other every now and t...wait a minute...if its an epic sage, does that mean Computoman and I get light sabers and hot young babes?! I'm in!!

I also liked the part where GoToMyPC is your sponsor but while answering the dude's question you showed a screen shot using LogMeIn.

On the Gizmodo situation (which I still say is a setup from Apple to garner free publicity), IANAL and all that, but I have worked in various parts of the journalism industry so I do have a good working knowledge here. Its true that a search warrant could not be used to search through Gizmodo's records just to find the name of their source(s). The problem is, at least as an outsider looking in, Gizmodo is also going to be up against charges of "knowingly receiving stolen property" or the California equivalent, as well as trade secret laws...anyone who pays $5 grand for a prototype knows what it is they are buying. And that they most certainly are NOT protected from by laws that protect journalists. Even a journalist is not allowed to actively commit a crime. And "finders, keepers" is a myth. Gizmodo acts like they have a blanket pass to do what ever they want in their "newsroom" because its supposedly a newsroom. If that were true, every newsroom in America would have someone dealing drugs and prostitutes out of their desk space (and I'd be establishing my own newsroom ).

The hard drive failure segment is one of the best segments you've done yet. Do some more like that. I noticed in the screen shots that he is going to do one of his classes in Chicago in September. I'll have to look in to that.

Finally, the femtocells segment. What was that power box Patrick was using to plug that in to?

Edit: Oh, forgot something. If you like space images, also check out the NASA Images Collection by the good folks at the Internet Archive.

Last edited by davmoo : 04-30-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 AM
computoman

I have been playing with kdenlive.for a video editor.

To install some of the freebies:
ubuntu
sudo apt-get install avidemux or search for it in the Synaptic package manager.
sudo apt-get install gddrescue

I will take password-less using keys ssh on a random port over vpn any day. it's also free.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Setu...d-or-Computer/ (Caveat emptor)

Quote:
Epic saga? I thought we just wanted to smack the crap out of each other every now and t...wait a minute...if its an epic sage, does that mean Computoman and I get light sabers and hot young babes?! I'm in!!
So far I have just looked at the show notes. Now he is going to make me watch it. .No Veronica no watchie.

Last edited by computoman : 04-30-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
veronicazilla
Show Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmoo View Post

I also liked the part where GoToMyPC is your sponsor but while answering the dude's question you showed a screen shot using LogMeIn.

On the Gizmodo situation (which I still say is a setup from Apple to garner free publicity), IANAL and all that, but I have worked in various parts of the journalism industry so I do have a good working knowledge here. Its true that a search warrant could not be used to search through Gizmodo's records just to find the name of their source(s). The problem is, at least as an outsider looking in, Gizmodo is also going to be up against charges of "knowingly receiving stolen property" or the California equivalent, as well as trade secret laws...anyone who pays $5 grand for a prototype knows what it is they are buying. And that they most certainly are NOT protected from by laws that protect journalists. Even a journalist is not allowed to actively commit a crime. And "finders, keepers" is a myth. Gizmodo acts like they have a blanket pass to do what ever they want in their "newsroom" because its supposedly a newsroom. If that were true, every newsroom in America would have someone dealing drugs and prostitutes out of their desk space (and I'd be establishing my own newsroom ).

The hard drive failure segment is one of the best segments you've done yet. Do some more like that. I noticed in the screen shots that he is going to do one of his classes in Chicago in September. I'll have to look in to that.

Finally, the femtocells segment. What was that power box Patrick was using to plug that in to?

Edit: Oh, forgot something. If you like space images, also check out the NASA Images Collection by the good folks at the Internet Archive.
LogMeIn makes Hamachi VPN.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM
ghelyar

Hamachi is just plain evil. I've seen a lot of people get hacked by using it incorrectly because they don't realise its a VPN and that they are opening their whole network up to the world. It sounds elitist but really if you don't know enough about VPNs to set one up yourself, you shouldn't be setting one up at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmethod70 View Post
Not a big deal, but I just have to point out: it's pronounced "avi demux"
Agreed. I was kind of shocked at this one.

AVI being the media container file format, and demux being de-multiplexing. (i.e. separating out all of the video, audio, etc streams into their own files).
Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
socialdisorder

Default iPhone to Computer

I'm not sure how you would go about getting your iPhone to play on your Windows desktop, but on the new Ubuntu (and other *NIX variants) it's a breeze. The latest libgpod works with the 3.x firmware for both read and write access to your iPhone/iPod Touch.

I believe the read access will work out of the box on Ubuntu 10.04 using Rhythmbox. If not out of the box, everything you need is certainly in the repositories. Since the question on the show was about a work computer it probably wasn't running Ubuntu. I haven't heard of any libgpod clients for Windows, but that's not to say they don't exist. It might be worth looking around for one.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
computoman

If someone has a free ipod touch to give away or the like I will be happy to test it on linux.

Gizmodo a news source???? They copy what everyone else does and just link to it.. .

Last edited by computoman : 04-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
Gizmodo a news source???? They copy what everyone else does and just link to it.. .
They aren't even original with that...Slashdot was first.

Gizmodo is to journalism as Peewee Herman is to Walter Cronkite.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
ghelyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
If someone has a free ipod touch to give away or the like I will be happy to test it on linux.
Well I use my iPod Classic on Linux with gtkpod fine. I can also view the files in Windows Explorer, if I show hidden/system files. It's just a big messy list of directories and randomly named files though with no real way of identifying a particular track (I use grep). I think the question was specific to the iPhone though, as they said it works on an iPod but not an iPhone, so I have no idea about that.

Point being you need a free iPhone instead of a free iPod touch