Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > GeekBeat.TV

Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 AM
marilee
Revision3 Creative Director

Default Episode 2 - Robot Lifeguards, Netbooks Getting Better, the AMOLED Invasion, Pet AT-AT [Discussion]

Robots are taking to the water and saving drowning swimmers. Toshiba's concept for the netbook market reveals itself with the W100. The Galaxy S will be on the carrier of your choice, and branded differently on each. Video of the Day: Pet AT-AT

Watch or download this episode!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:12 AM
aaronmorelli

Default Great show!

Cali,
I loved GeekBrief TV from the beginning, and I still love GeekBeat TV, but I don't know if I liked the new shooting style. It's a nice change though, I don't know if it was the right one. Also, I liked how you added the Squarespace sponsor in the beginning and end, great addition. Overall great show! Any other plans to make changes?

Last edited by aaronmorelli : 06-29-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 AM
browren

Default A good start...

The content for your first episode of the new show was fine - the same kind of upbeat tech news that I've come to expect - but there were a couple of things that struck me about it, which I thought I'd mention as constructive criticism.

The new opening came off to me as somewhat narcissistic - admittedly, the opening for GeekBrief did feature your face all over the place, but the scale of it wasn't as overwhelming as in the new intro. Someone new to the show might get the wrong idea about the content and write it off as a typical navel-gazing videoblog rather than being really good tech news.

Also, the format doesn't seem to have changed much from what you had in GB.TV. Though this isn't necessarily a bad thing - after all, it worked really well, right? - since it's a new show you've got the chance to experiment with new ways to express yourself. If you do want the show to be a bit more personal, maybe you could talk in much more detail about how you yourself make use of the stuff in your news. One sentence really isn't enough; tell us why you *really* love the things you're showing us.

Again, please don't take this as flames - I've watched GB.TV since episode 500 back when I first installed Miro. I'd just like to see the show expand in scope and audience.

Unrelated to the above, I'd love it if you could do more coverage of the open source world, perhaps a short segment here or there with neat gadgets that those of us in the Linux camp can use.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 AM
calilewis

Thanks! We'll be tweaking things in the next couple weeks, so we're definitely open to feedback as we play.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:24 AM
calilewis

Browren, just saw your comments after posting my last message. Great thoughts, thank you!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 AM
spingineer

Default Great Start

Great first show. Same upbeat show, personality, and content. I like the fact that you can skip to the particular segment of the show. One thing that I do miss from geekbrief are your t-shirts ... I guess with the new show, some things must change. Oh well. But so far, i like it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:35 AM
seanlebreton

Default Great Show

Another great show from Revision3 and the same high quality I've come to expect. I like the briefing of tech news which is nice. The host has a great personality and is very present in the show. Only compliant here is that I wish it was a longer show. I get what Revision3 is doing here making a soundbite show, and short snippets of info are always nice, but it would be nice if the show was longer and covered more. Overall though, I will add it to my favorites and will definitely be watching again.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 AM
javajini

I, for one, liked the new intro. I especially liked the last still in the opening sequence where Cali is clutching her hands together.

I think this new show is the start of a great new adventure for Cali and Neal. I was a loyal viewer of all the Geek Brief TV series from the very beginning. I look forward to a lot more shows under the Geek Beat TV brand.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 AM
werewolves

Default One minor issue

Great to see you back on the "air" so soon Cali.

My only complaint about the first episode was the lighting. You were half in the dark for part of it. Shame on you Rev3, you know how to light a set better than that!

Anyway, welcome back
Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 AM
willydavidk

The style of this show is definitely different from GeekBrief. The transitions are more abrupt yet upbeat. I personally didn't like having the advertisements in the middle of the show, basically inserting a micro commercial break. Seems like a backwards step to me, trying to act more like old media rather than adopting the new media marketing strategies. But I can understand why your sponsors or publisher might request such a change, or even why you would opt to try it out yourself. Just giving my opinion.

The show overall felt just slightly longer than the old 'briefs', but being as the word 'brief' is no longer a part of the name of the show, I suppose you can make the episodes as long as you want now!

All in all, I've been watching geekbrief since late 2006, back in the early days. I remember things like when Cali got Rubella, when the old apartment got infested with mold and the entire set had to be moved (I do miss that random pole on the right side of the screen sometimes), and the failed HTPC attempt. I will certainly miss the show, and I was anxious to see if it would make it to 1,000 episodes, but alas, GeekBrief has had it's day.

The new era of GeekBeat is here, and I have a feeling it will be just as successful, and likely even moreso! As for the switch from Mevio, I like the overall design of this Rev3 site better, but my only complaint would be that I had to come all the way to a forum and register yet again just to comment on the episode. It was definitely a lot more convenient when I could just scroll down and leave a comment under the shownotes, so I would highly recommend trying to reintegrate that into the main site!

Best of luck Cali, I'm anxious to see how things go!

-David