Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Computing > Apple / OS X

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
dylan151

Default Organizing MacBook Pro Files/Folders?

What is the best way to organize files/folders on the MacBook Pro (and external HDD). Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
xcorvis

Er. Uh? Could you be more specific? What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? I'm envisioning trying to talk you out of throwing all the files on your computer into one folder so you can sort them alphabetically (true story, not mine fortunately).
Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
dylan151

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcorvis View Post
Er. Uh? Could you be more specific? What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? I'm envisioning trying to talk you out of throwing all the files on your computer into one folder so you can sort them alphabetically (true story, not mine fortunately).
I have a lot of files/folders (video, pictures, documents, music) on my mac and two external HDD (1 TB and a 400GB) both have about 80-150GB left. I have about 45 GB left of my 250GB mac HDD. I have a lot of folders and many files may get lost and my current filing system is old and is kinda hard on the eyes. I need to find a easy way to organize all my stuff... Right now I have many things in one folder and many folders with in that folder...

Last edited by dylan151 : 07-12-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
xcorvis

Ah, that makes it much clearer.

What I would do is to move categories of things around so they fit best on what's available. I might move videos or music to the 1 TB drive, because those are the largest number of files that I want to stay together and I don't necessarily want them while I'm away. Documents would stay on the hard drive, because I'd be likely to want those on the go. Once you have that set up, use aliases or shortcuts to put links in the right places so it's easy to get to your drive from the normal folders. In other words, remove the Videos folder and instead replace it with a link to your external HD's Videos folder.

If I were you, I'd strongly consider picking up some more storage, like a ReadyNAS or similar drive. Right now you have 3 hard drives and if any of them fail you're guaranteed to loose some stuff. If you pick up a 2TB external drive for backups, you'll have to detach another drive to hook it to your computer. If you have a network attached storage device with redundant drives, your data will be much safer, accessible over your home internet connection and the storage will be (potentially) expandable.