Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store


Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Food Mob

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

  #1  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
computoman
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ever thought of making your own kitchen gadget?

I was thinking about making a tortilla press (rough drawing).


Last edited by computoman : 07-21-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
tommy19's Avatar
tommy19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Status: Offline
Default Kitchen Gadgets

I can see the use for a tortilla press and of course making your own is much cheaper than buying one. But the truth is, I simply don't care for kitchen gadgets. The main reason is a limit of space. My wife and I live in an apartment with a very small kitchen so we have to be really creative with our storage solutions.

Secondly I'm a huge fan of Alton Brown, who's philosophy states there's only one uni-tasker allowed in the kitchen... the fire extinguisher!

For tortillas I've found a really great multitasking alternative is simply a round, wooden cheese cutting board, a clean working surface, a rolling pin and a enough flour to dust both the surface and the cheese board.

Simply dust both surfaces and place the dough ball on the work surface. Place the flour dusted cheese board on top and use the rolling pin to flatten to the desired thickness. The work surface and cheese board may need to be dusted between tortillas but I've found this works really well AND it saves money and space as I already have all of the needed components.


If you do build your tortilla press, I'd love to see pics of it when it's finished. (:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
computoman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For flour tortillas I do use the old rolling pin. For corn tortillas this may be a lot faster from what I am told. I agree with you about g4.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
ronaldo
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 218
Status: Offline
Default

Yes. I have my own line of tortilla presses soon to be released.

Patent Pending.

Last edited by ronaldo : 07-21-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 AM
tokenuser's Avatar
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lost in States
Posts: 15,125
Status: Offline
Default

Would a design that closes flat with even pressure more like a cable crimper be a better design?
__________________
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts...and beer." - Abraham Lincoln
"... connect the dots instead of assembling a jigsaw puzzle." - Wil Wheaton
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 AM
computoman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Two one half dozen of another.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 AM
computoman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post
Yes. I have my own line of tortilla presses soon to be released.

Patent Pending.
Be careful, the Chinese will say they invented it first

Last edited by computoman : 07-22-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 AM
frankiethewaffle's Avatar
frankiethewaffle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 839
Status: Offline
Default

Tortilla presses are common among people that have a need for them. Restaurants and people that cook the fresh stuff in Mexico and all.

For kitchen gadgets, I agree. It is easy to have too many. I like the Alton Brown theory. "No Uni-taskers. The only uni tasker you should have is a fire extinguisher." Although he has proven otherwise recently as he used a fire extinguisher to make a frozen smoothie. But, the theory is sound.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
ronaldo
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 218
Status: Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiethewaffle View Post
Tortilla presses are common among people that have a need for them. Restaurants and people that cook the fresh stuff in Mexico and all.

For kitchen gadgets, I agree. It is easy to have too many. I like the Alton Brown theory. "No Uni-taskers. The only uni tasker you should have is a fire extinguisher." Although he has proven otherwise recently as he used a fire extinguisher to make a frozen smoothie. But, the theory is sound.

I don't agree with Alton on that. If it is something that I will use often and it cuts down on prep time I don't care if it has limited uses I will make room for it. I have an "As seen on TV" gadget that I use so often that when it finally broke about 4 months ago I bought it a second time. In a few years if it breaks again I will probably buy it a third time.

Besides I have never seen him use a thermometer for anything other than determining temperature.

I think you can take it too far but I also don't plan to build all of his contraptions either.

It really just depends on the person. I would personally have no use for a george foreman grill but my mother has one and uses it all the time. I have an expensive stand mixer that sits in my pantry because I bake so little I never bother with it. IMO the microwave is the most overrated kitchen gadget of all time. I won't even take up counter space with one. Alton uses his all the time. It is only a stupid gadget if it doesn't help or you never use it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 AM
frankiethewaffle's Avatar
frankiethewaffle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 839
Status: Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post
I don't agree with Alton on that. If it is something that I will use often and it cuts down on prep time I don't care if it has limited uses I will make room for it. I have an "As seen on TV" gadget that I use so often that when it finally broke about 4 months ago I bought it a second time. In a few years if it breaks again I will probably buy it a third time.

Besides I have never seen him use a thermometer for anything other than determining temperature.

I think you can take it too far but I also don't plan to build all of his contraptions either.

It really just depends on the person. I would personally have no use for a george foreman grill but my mother has one and uses it all the time. I have an expensive stand mixer that sits in my pantry because I bake so little I never bother with it. IMO the microwave is the most overrated kitchen gadget of all time. I won't even take up counter space with one. Alton uses his all the time. It is only a stupid gadget if it doesn't help or you never use it.
Well there are exceptions. That is the key to all of this. You learn but someone can teach you better. I use that Alton Brown thing as a guide, just for fun really. But it has abled me to be more creative without the equipment.

Last edited by frankiethewaffle : 07-28-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Rev3 Forum RSS


© 2005-2010 Revision3 Corporation