Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
aarong
FoodMob Editor

Default Ramen

All I know is that it was fuckin awesome
Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Americans as a whole are overly sensitive to language.

Fuck, shit, and wanker do not carry the social stigma of cussing in many parts of the world anywhere near as much as they do in the US. Americans put too much focus on the literal meanings, and ignore the context.

Is saying freak or shyte any better when the conveyed meaning in context is the same??

Instant ramen noodles by themselves are evil ... But as an ingredient are actually pretty good.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
Americans as a whole are overly sensitive to language.

Fuck, shit, and wanker do not carry the social stigma of cussing in many parts of the world anywhere near as much as they do in the US. Americans put too much focus on the literal meanings, and ignore the context.

Is saying freak or shyte any better when the conveyed meaning in context is the same??

Instant ramen noodles by themselves are evil ... But as an ingredient are actually pretty good.
We are a funny bunch. A mother with throw herself on a child as though a grenade were going off to protect him from hearing the word fuck but will discuss her period with her girlfriends right in front of him. I know if the child started using that language the parents would be brought in for conferences so fast heads would spin but at some point we have to find a way to end the madness.

Rather you say shit or I am going to do a number 2 if the listener lets their mind go there the results are the same. Of course we teach to say nothing at all or that you have to use the restroom as there is no reason to elaborate unless a young child needs assistance.

If you bang your toe and let out a shit is it really that different than saying Crap! Shoot! Man! or Ouch! They are all interjections.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post
If you bang your toe and let out a shit is it really that different than saying Crap! Shoot! Man! or Ouch! They are all interjections.
They are all interjections and convey the same meaning ... So why is shit regarded as worse than "gosh darn it"? Techically, I think that they are expletives, which is more specific than an interjection.

But, if you do bang your toe and let out a shit ... then I suggest you seek some medical attention, cos anything that causes so much pain that you are forced to evacuate your bowels is going to be nasty.

Sidebar ... was at Walmart earlier today, and saw a man and woman pushing a pair of trolleys (shopping carts). His was loaded with 3 slabs of Bud Light. Hers was loaded with adult diapers and a jumbo box of twinkies. Guess that's one way of makin shur ya see evry NASCAR moment ... Settin down an never needing to get outta tha lazyboy.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
psychomike

Default Foodmob Ramen

Made the Foobmob Ramen tonight!

A few substitutions. I used chicken instead of tuna (good tuna just too expensive right now), and I used Udon noodles instead of thin noodles because that's what the store had.

It looked and smelled good, but the taste was completely overpowered by the lime. You could barely taste any of the other ingredients. I always try to follow the recipe pretty strictly(except for my listed substitutions). Needless to say it was not one of my favorite foodmob recipes. Especially coming off of the delicious mac & cheese last week. Any thoughts from others who made the ramen?

Let me also just take a minute address the recipe page at http://revision3.com/foodmob/tunaramen The recipes printed on the foodmob pages almost always have errors or differences from the episode itself, but this weeks was bad. Things done in completely different order, ingredients left out of the ingredients list -- you're not making it easy for a beginner cook. If I followed the written recipe literally, it tells the cook to sweat whole limes with the onions, mushrooms, and chili. The ingredients list doesn't even mention onions or peas! I had to re-watch parts of the show to guess what would be the best amounts. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

here's a picture of the dish:
http://revision3.com/forums/attachme...d=128064502 2

looking forward to next weeks episode!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010.07.31foodmob_ramen.jpg (96.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
chefniall
Head Chef

Default Language in the show

hi all

Take the points about he language especially if there are kids watching! See the thing is that it really is just us having a bit of a laugh and talking as we normally do and if anything toning it down a bit! I guess we just want to have it as natural as possible and to be hinest never really thought there would be that many kids actually watching it!

N
Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
chefniall
Head Chef

Default Limes too strong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomike View Post
Made the Foobmob Ramen tonight!

A few substitutions. I used chicken instead of tuna (good tuna just too expensive right now), and I used Udon noodles instead of thin noodles because that's what the store had.

It looked and smelled good, but the taste was completely overpowered by the lime. You could barely taste any of the other ingredients. I always try to follow the recipe pretty strictly(except for my listed substitutions). Needless to say it was not one of my favorite foodmob recipes. Especially coming off of the delicious mac & cheese last week. Any thoughts from others who made the ramen?

Let me also just take a minute address the recipe page at http://revision3.com/foodmob/tunaramen The recipes printed on the foodmob pages almost always have errors or differences from the episode itself, but this weeks was bad. Things done in completely different order, ingredients left out of the ingredients list -- you're not making it easy for a beginner cook. If I followed the written recipe literally, it tells the cook to sweat whole limes with the onions, mushrooms, and chili. The ingredients list doesn't even mention onions or peas! I had to re-watch parts of the show to guess what would be the best amounts. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

here's a picture of the dish:
http://revision3.com/forums/attachme...d=128064502 2

looking forward to next weeks episode!
Actually a couple of people saying this so I wouldn't worry about you thinking you are wrong. Having a think about it possibly the best way to do it would be to add the limes at a later stage and just squeeze the last little bit in rather than cooking them. The other thing is not to cook the broth for too long because the more you do the more intense the flavors get! Thanks for sharing the feedback though as it is appreciated and will help others to learn!

NIall
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 AM
fath0m

Long time watcher, first time I am going to post.

First, don't change anything about the language. It really grinds my gears when people complain about language in shows. This is revision 3, whose backbone is diggnation and totally rad show, its demo is older people in general and as such so is the content. I feel sorry your kids can't watch this but I think its silly for the foodmob staff to hold back on being themselves and I think its even sillier to bring up the bullshit arguement that use of "inappropriate" language equates to stupidity. This is not ABCfamily.

Now then, really looking forward to trying this recipe out! Really glad to see an asian influence on the show.

Also, to the poster with the udon noodles that looks absolutely amazing/could be in a restaurant. I am an udon fiend. How did you find the noodle took to the broth tastewise though? Typically when I have had it, it comes in a heavier sauce because the noodles are so large.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 AM
frankiethewaffle

I will try this as soon as I think Benedryl will save my life. See, I love sushi, best place I get it is the supermarket place. May not be the best.

Three times ago my inner ears itched, two ago my eyes watered and swelled and blood red, last time my throat itched and kinda shrunk.

I don't know if it was the raw Tuna or Salmon, but I can't risk it. My favorite seafood dish is RARE tuna sliced over a baby spinach salad with only olive oil and salt an pepper to make me happy. (Tuna cooked 1/4 cooked on either side and the center of an inch thick steak rare)

Now. How do I find out I won't die if I try this delicious dish?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

I have the same reaction to shellfish and red wine. Histamines are my enemies.
Pity that I love crabcakes, and have red wine flowing through my veins.

When you say sushi, do you mean sashimi (slices of - typically - raw fish), nigiri (fish on an oblong of sushi rice), or maki (rolls sushi rice and other ingredients typically with nori (seaweed) wrapper)?

If it is nigiri or maki you mean, then it might not be the fish. It could be the seaweed, dashi, or rice vinegar in the rice you are reacting to. It might also be a reaction to the soy (MSG) people typically put on the sushi (all types).

Cooked vs raw fish makes a difference too. You might not react to cooked/seared tuna in the same way you are affected by raw tuna. I have my doubts about a reaction to salmon though - its fairly benign raw, or cooked (seared, smoked or cured). How are you with Lox (Scandinavian style smoked/cured salmon)?