Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 09-04-2010, 04:58 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Default Is shipping a TV with UPS a do or a Don't?

Have any of you ever moved across country. zip code 10002 (new York) to 89107 (Las Vegas)? I've got an HD TV that I don't know if I should sell or send to my new address. The TV goes for about 600 bucks used 809.99 new (LN40a630).

I went to ups to calculate how much it would cost and taking the dimensions on amazon and putting them into ups the cheapest price I got was about 70 bucks.

with that price this is a no brainer but my concern is how safe is my TV with UPS? If something happens how easy is it to get money out of them?

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

I'm going to ask a personal question...can you afford to just buy a new TV when you get there? If so, I'd say the easy route to go is sell it on this side of the country and buy a new one when you get to the other side. One less hassle to deal with.

But if you do ship it, UPS will require that you use a box rated for such things...preferably the original shipping box. They won't insure it if you ship it in just any old box.

I've shipped dozens of (sometimes very expensive) packages all over the world with UPS and they've never let me down. At the same time, when I lived in Louisville and had a number of friends who worked at UPS's Worldport, the running joke was the company name was pronounced "Oops", as in "Oops, we dropped it."
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmoo View Post
I'm going to ask a personal question...can you afford to just buy a new TV when you get there? If so, I'd say the easy route to go is sell it on this side of the country and buy a new one when you get to the other side. One less hassle to deal with.

But if you do ship it, UPS will require that you use a box rated for such things...preferably the original shipping box. They won't insure it if you ship it in just any old box.

I've shipped dozens of (sometimes very expensive) packages all over the world with UPS and they've never let me down. At the same time, when I lived in Louisville and had a number of friends who worked at UPS's Worldport, the running joke was the company name was pronounced "Oops", as in "Oops, we dropped it."
no I won't be able to afford a new TV. When I applied for a job at UPS and took a tour of their facilities I saw how things were done and Ooops is right, but that was just small regular packages. I'd hope big packages like a TV get better treatment.

My next question was actually how would I go about packaging this thing.

Last edited by trunolimit : 09-04-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 PM
davemclain

I'd say that using the original box and packing material and then placing that inside of another box with some sort of material like packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc would probably get the job done.

I just wonder if you sold your present TV for X dollars and then moved, bought another TV for X + some money you wouldn't be equal or ahead just because shipping something that big that far won't be inexpensive.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Original packing is best, but a alternative is to find a large moving company and getting a box from them.

Another method would be to see if you can be depot to depot shipped on one of their trucks .... Since someone should be moving from Ny to LV.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:53 AM
jd1138

I heard that UPS is easier to deal with than FedEx when it comes to damage claims, but it'll have to be packed well which is a hassle.

I think I'd just sell it and buy another TV in Vegas off of CL or something at a bargain price. I wouldn't trust shipping co's to handle stuff with kid gloves.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 AM
mikec
Elite Member

Check back a few weeks. Didn't the guys do a segment on packing a TV for moving?

Since you are moving, how is your other stuff getting moved? Why do you need to use UPS? Why not use the moving company?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Check back a few weeks. Didn't the guys do a segment on packing a TV for moving?

Since you are moving, how is your other stuff getting moved? Why do you need to use UPS? Why not use the moving company?
Ups is probably the cheapest. Everything else I am selling. The tv is really the only big thing I own. Everything I am taking is small enough to be packed in suit cases.

I really only need that moved so it be a waste to use a moving co for 1 tv worth 800 (new)

That would be cool to have a segment on packing a tv.

Last edited by trunolimit : 09-05-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post
I really only need that moved so it be a waste to use a moving co for 1 tv worth 800 (new)
They do that all the time. Difference is, YOU take it to the nearest depot and YOU pick it up at the other end. They want every truck going to some place as full as possible. They also have the right packing stuff so that it is not going to be damaged. The difference is, that they don't have a truck going to LV every day, so it might take a couple of weeks to get there.

Its worth looking into.

Eitherway, UHaul (and moving companies) have special packing boxes and supplies that you will be able to use to pack the TV up solidly for transit via UPS or FedEx. What you are trying to do isn't particularly unique.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

I admit I hadn't thought of that. Years ago I rented a room in my house to a friend who drove a truck for a cross-country moving company. If his company had a truck going from your point A to your point B anyway, they'd be happy to stuff your TV in a truck. It was routine for him to cross the country with loads going to four or five houses in the same destination city.

I doubt things have changed. Call up a couple of cross-country movers in your area. Worst that can happen is they say they can't help you. Granted weight does make some difference, but over the long haul it costs basically the same for the company to run a truck that is 3/4ths full as it does one that is full. So its to their advantage to fill it up.