Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Film Riot

Old 05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
metallicnitro

Default Episode 51: Learn to Write Screenplays for Film [Discussion]

Learn how to format a professional screenplay and get advice from Full Sail's writing instructor.

Watch or download it here.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
scarboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicNitro View Post
Learn how to format a professional screenplay and get advice from Full Sail's writing instructor.

Watch or download it here.
What was the name of the interviewer
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 AM
daikun

It's about time! You guys finally did something from Full Sail! You've had it in the intro for so long. I was wondering if you would ever get around to it.

By the way, if anyone doesn't have the money to shell out Final Draft, my screenwriting professor recommends Celtx as a free alternative.

Last edited by Daikun : 05-07-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
bkeaton

Default Reason to format a script

I was kind of disappointed when the instructor was asked "why are scripts formatted a certain way," and his only response was that it was a secret handshake to weed out amateurs. The PRIMARY reason why scripts are formatted the way they are is for production. If formatted correctly, you can plan your movie better because on average each page will reflect one minute of screen time. It's not like back in the original days of hollywood screenwriters were members of a secret society and one of them said, "Hey, let's start writing our scripts a certain way so we'll know who is in the gang!" Although, nowadays it is an immediate giveaway to a green screenwriter, most scripts are initially rejected because their first few pages suck.

Also to make a screenplay stand out, it helps if it's not a roadtrip or self-discovery/coming of age movie where the main character is an artist/writer/filmmaker/actor/etc. Let's just say the market is flooded with those.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
ryanconnolly
Show Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeaton View Post
I was kind of disappointed when the instructor was asked "why are scripts formatted a certain way," and his only response was that it was a secret handshake to weed out amateurs. The PRIMARY reason why scripts are formatted the way they are is for production. If formatted correctly, you can plan your movie better because on average each page will reflect one minute of screen time. It's not like back in the original days of hollywood screenwriters were members of a secret society and one of them said, "Hey, let's start writing our scripts a certain way so we'll know who is in the gang!" Although, nowadays it is an immediate giveaway to a green screenwriter, most scripts are initially rejected because their first few pages suck.

Also to make a screenplay stand out, it helps if it's not a roadtrip or self-discovery/coming of age movie where the main character is an artist/writer/filmmaker/actor/etc. Let's just say the market is flooded with those.

Someone else on youtube made this same error.

The one minute per page is just one of the reasons it is use. And this depends highly on the style of the writer. The are many cases where, for say an action scene, instead of writing out the scene the writer will just type something like "Car chase ensues". Also dialogue renders much quicker on screen then action lines, so a slant in either way will throw off the one minute estimate. (which is not an issue) If written properly one page should be somewhere in the area of a minute, but that is not how the script format came to be or the main reason we use it today.

Seeing the difference between amateur and professional right away on the page, is a BIG part of why we still use it today, and why as a new writer you need to be pretty solid with the formatting. You can actually stray from the format a bit (Tarantino) and still be hitting the one page = one minute mark. Also, production is another factor (and a bigger one) for why formatting started and why it is still used. Things like capitalizing certain words in a script to signify props, specific clothing or sound effects that are mandatory, the placement of sluglines, parenthetical, etc... are there for reasons that have nothing to do with the one minute issue.

His response was a short summation, and though didn't go into great length, was still very correct, and a better answer for new writers than each page equates to one minute.

I do agree that artist/writer/filmmaker/actor/etc. movies are over done.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
murphy1d
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanconnolly View Post
I do agree that artist/writer/filmmaker/actor/etc. movies are over done.

Ryan
So, write what you know, unless you are an artist/writer/filmmaker/actor. LOL!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
az0madman
Elite Member

Aw, I was hoping for a discount code for B&H. Oh well.... great episode anyways!

Also! Thanks for the tip on creating a playlist. I normally do listen to the mood music but never thought about making a playlist full of it, which seems extremely obvious now that I think about it.

Last edited by az0madman : 05-08-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 PM
maki_g

Default Janel

Janel did a good job on the interview but got no mention (besides your throw to) or end credit.
Give her a shout. -Maki-
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
rick_presas

Ryan:
"I do agree that artist/writer/filmmaker/actor/etc. movies are over done."

Agreed 100%. the only people who care about a movie about filmmakers is another filmmaker.

Also, the plot-twist of one of the characters being the Grim Reaper is SORELY overdone in indies.

Last edited by rick_presas : 05-11-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:53 AM
coneyhop

Default episode 51 cams

I'm new to watching Film Riot. Don't know if you've mentioned it before.
But espeicially for your intro talk in this episode, what camera did you use. And did you put it through post filters? It looks like the interview in Orlando had the same look.
Do you always use DSLRs? Love the look.