Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
mzymblo

Default A way to remote into iPAD??? Halp!

We are trying to use the iPAD as a kiosk check-in station at our company and require the ability to remote into it as well for troubleshooting. I have been looking but haven't seen any apps available that do this... Sure there are ways to use RDP to connect to other machines but no way to connect to the iPAD.

Surely there has to be some way??? Any help offered is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance =)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
xcorvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzymblo View Post
We are trying to use the iPAD as a kiosk check-in station at our company and require the ability to remote into it as well for troubleshooting. I have been looking but haven't seen any apps available that do this... Sure there are ways to use RDP to connect to other machines but no way to connect to the iPAD.

Surely there has to be some way??? Any help offered is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance =)
No way that I know of. It's not a real computer, it can't do a lot of stuff. Instead you should ask them how to make an exception to the policy, there may be a process for that.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:

I read on a forum about a program that lets you SSH into the iPhone. Maybe it could work for iPad. You'd have to build an app around that though and the ipad has to be jailbroken.

Before I go off and goodle the details for you I have one question. Why does it have to be an ipad? there are a couple of iPad like devices out now that are way more capable than the iPad. The HP slate for one runs windows 7. An android tablet would probably be easier to work with also, because you as a developer have less that you can't do. the bottom line is I feel like people give the iPad way to much credit when there are and will be other devices that are more capable.

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:

you want a VNC type of app for your ipad?

Edit: Jail break your iPad and use a program called "veency"

Last edited by trunolimit : 01-24-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 AM
davisan

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/05/ho...k-windows-mac/
Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisan View Post
I was about to suggest cyberduck but I don't really understand what cyberduck is or does.

SSHing into the iPad could potentially provide you with technical trouble shooting but I think what the OP wants is a way to walk a person who is at the kiosk through the steps to use the kiosk and be able to see that person's progress in real time.

Last edited by trunolimit : 01-25-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
davisan

I know nothing about Apple equipment and so I will not comment on the article. I do know that when someone says that it can not be done, I am always leery of those kinds of statements. Years ago when I was teaching, I needed some software to learn for a class as an CS instructor. My boss who was in charge of all the CS instructors at a fairly large local college gave me permission to have and use the software. She said just go the IT people and have them get it for me, Did that and was told they could not do it. I asked if I could do it myself and they said it could not be done. That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. To make a long story short, I accessed the software I needed and left a nice little text file (anonymously) to the IT team on the system. Later when I saw my boss, She must of found out about it and guessed it was me who was the culprit. She did not say anything about it but just smiled when I first saw her.

Last edited by davisan : 01-25-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
xcorvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisan View Post
I know nothing about Apple equipment and so I will not comment on the article. I do know that when someone says that it can not be done, I am always leery of those kinds of statements. Years ago when I was teaching, I needed some software to learn for a class as an CS instructor. My boss who was in charge of all the CS instructors at a fairly large local college gave me permission to have and use the software. She said just go the IT people and have them get it for me, Did that and was told they could not do it. I asked if I could do it myself and they said it could not be done. That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. To make a long story short, I accessed the software I needed and left a nice little text file (anonymously) to the IT team on the system. Later when I saw my boss, She must of found out about it and guessed it was me who was the culprit. She did not say anything about it but just smiled when I first saw her.
This is why it's important to ask for an exemption. If you ask for the software, the provider is allowed to say no because there's a policy about it. Ask for an exception to the policy. It's not this guy's job to approve exceptions, it's his boss (or someone else). Go up the chain.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 AM
davisan

I already had the approval and the software was site licensed, The IT team were just being jerks. They should be glad I did not raise the roof about it. Besides it was a Friday and I had to have the software before the next Monday. We did not get our teaching assignments till the last minute usually Normally I would have gone up the chain, but it was a time critical issue. Students come first, not the lazy IT team people I dealt with. Besides, I knew the head of IT and he was a fellow instructor. He would have been upset if I did not do what I did. Never heard anything else about it. Guess my boss took care of any issues. I am supposing she was glad I did not waste her time with such trivial matters. In any case I knew most of the vendors by working at a local computer store. They were always giving me not for resale originals of software to use in my job. I know there would not have been any licensing issues anyway.

Last edited by davisan : 01-26-2011 at 02:19 AM.