Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Scam School

Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 PM
xray

Default EP. 199 - Awesome Chess Puzzles That'll Fool a Genius!

In the second challenge, wouldn't moving the rook up one square result in a check mate?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 AM
psychie12345678

how? the rook can only threaten left, right, forward, and back and the rook isn't in anyone else's way that would be cleared up by merely moving the rook. so with the set up given no matter where you move the rook, it is still not mate. although, with the way he posed the rules, i was looking for a way to get STALEmate, because he just said "mate" not "check mate" specifically, at this time i have yet to find a way, but that would be a hilarious back door solve. if anyone can find a way to achieve stalemate from the set up please post it here, i want to know, or, on the flip side, if there truly is no one move to stalemate, also let me know, so i can stop thinking about it.

Last edited by psychie12345678 : 01-06-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 AM
xray

With the rook at 8c, you leave the opponent's king in a position that it can't make a move. I just checked the rules and it appears in this situation the game is in a stalemate, and not a checkmate.

However, Brian said white needs to mate in one move, not checkmate. Since the solution is based on listening carefully to the wording...

psychie12345678, I just read the rest of your post and I see you also noted that he just said "mate." Moving the rook up to 8c would end in stalemate.

Last edited by xray : 01-06-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 AM
hellhound

dont think he specified that it had to be a 'legal" chess move. In that case picking up the queen and putting next to black king woulda worked
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
2tall

Default graphics fail

The graphic at the bottom of the screen clearly indicates "WHITE NEEDS TO CHECKMATE IN EXACTLY ONE MOVE." (video time 5:30)

Unfortunately whomever did the graphics screwed it up and moved the white Queen to a new location f2 (Queen was supposed to be at f6) which gives the black King an out by moving to a6. (check the video at time 8:31)

Also there is another graphic failure at time 3:38 during the first puzzle.

Do they have an intern doing the graphics?
Brian, I hope someone else proofread your book (which I just bought for 99 cents on Amazon).

Last edited by 2tall : 01-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
clayp0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Unfortunately whomever did the graphics screwed it up and moved the white Queen to a new location f2 (Queen was supposed to be at f6) which gives the black King an out by moving to a6. (check the video at time 8:31)

Do they have an intern doing the graphics?
I take it you mean at 7:00, when the graphic clearly follows the mark's queen move from F6 to F2. Granted, it does stay there for a bit, but it should have been apparent that it was just visualizing what was happening on the board. (Hint: the black king always has an out by moving to A6, queue the definition of "space" at 6:11)

I don't believe there is problem with the first graphic either. It puts the pieces in the corresponding rows Brian says while going across the columns.

Don't knock the interns, man! I'm sure they work their butts off to bring us our weekly feasting of tricks and scams!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 AM
2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp0w View Post
I take it you mean at 7:00, when the graphic clearly follows the mark's queen move from F6 to F2. Granted, it does stay there for a bit, but it should have been apparent that it was just visualizing what was happening on the board. (Hint: the black king always has an out by moving to A6, queue the definition of "space" at 6:11)
Huh? "Visualizing what is happening on the board?" Checkmate means that the King is captured and nothing else "is happening on the board." The King does not have an out with the Queen on F6. Which is why that would be a checkmate. With the queen on F2 it is not a checkmate. Thus Graphic Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp0w View Post
I don't believe there is problem with the first graphic either. It puts the pieces in the corresponding rows Brian says while going across the columns.
The graphic shows 2 pieces on the same row (which is not allowed). With the board turned in this direction, the piece on the first column should be in row 8 not row 1.

Last edited by 2tall : 01-10-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
xray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
The graphic at the bottom of the screen clearly indicates "WHITE NEEDS TO CHECKMATE IN EXACTLY ONE MOVE." (video time 5:30)

I checked the video at 8:31; the queen is at f6, not at f2 as you claim.

At 7:01 you can watch the white queen move to f2 on the graphic, but that's because the person in the video just moved the queen there and the graphic is following along. That's what clayp0w means by ""Visualizing what is happening on the board." There's no graphic fail.

Quote:

The graphic shows 2 pieces on the same row (which is not allowed). With the board turned in this direction, the piece on the first column should be in row 8 not row 1.
How is it you keep seeing things that aren't there? At 3:38 all of the pawns (representing queens) are in different rows and columns.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 AM
2tall

sphykterszaswut?

Last edited by 2tall : 01-11-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 AM
2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray View Post
How is it you keep seeing things that aren't there?
Too many beers...

If you say they fixed it, then great!!
Maybe the podcast I downloaded is rev. 1 not Revision 3.

Screenshots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdean88/6677097189/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdean88/6677097245/

Last edited by 2tall : 01-11-2012 at 05:45 AM.